Cochrane and Robbo think FA signings should be restricted to lower clubs

Should top 4 sides be banned from free agency

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure you understand the structure of the Suns - was not a fan of the man in his V8 days, particularly his take no prisoners negotiation approach that was very very ($s) rewarding.
IF you want to slam the Coast start with the first CEO, an AFL posting & pulled out for a role in Head Office, the rot had set in & the executive of the club ever since has not righted the boat - if Mark Evans cant do it, blaming Coch0 wont help the cause.
It not as if there is any personal gain ($s) in it.

I actually thinks his activities are a detriment to the culture of the club!! Looks like a short cut promotional jackass suited to Gold Coast limelight and disconnected with the running of a high performance football club or any other sports club for that matter trying to win a competition!! He would be more suited to promoting a strip club IMO chasing customers desperate for some quick easy desperate momentary sugar joy that has no long term significance without any foundation!! Maybe he would be better as the MC of a magician act??

Gold Coast cannot be taken seriously with this boofhead with no awareness and performance background involved.

S Dew surely would be embarrassed by Cochrane but its a win for Dew because with Cochrane around he cannot lose!!!

At least Dew can focus on development and getting the draftees in because no serious advancement will occur for the Suns until Cochrane leaves because how could any serious decisions be made with him in the periphery???

IF AFL HQ has any brains they will use Cochrane as a distraction, when the core list of Gold Coast comes in with the draftee recruits and top-ups supporting the newest latest generational crop they will heck Cochrane off as Gold Coast prepares to seriously compete with a talented group of players that wish to stick fat and believe together that can achieve their moment in the sun together as a group in the not to distant future as their ability and achievement warrant it from their own progress individually and collectively!!

Its as simple as this, a few years ago Docherty, Yeo and a few others like Crisp decided to bail the Lions because it was not going to happen in their time based on the player decision maker beliefs regarding opportunities going forward. Now with the new number 1 draft pick roaring, McLuggage and a few KPP's showing promise, with new talent still getting drafted in, the Lion youngsters are more likely to ride the journey for a while because the so-called light does no longer appear to be false and or fake news!! The mentality becomes i think this might happen here especially while I am young like with Cripps because I have Curnow, Docherty another number 1 gun possibly coming in to boost our performance and once a critical mass of real talent comes into the club at a similar vintage that the players and others can forge and build on in time thats realistic for them in terms of success expectations for their timeframe and the group in the absence of smoke and mirror short term magic acts!! I am going to be brutally honest, If I am one of the recent 2016 draftees for the Suns, I would prefer a top draftee in the 2018 draft than Tom Lynch to help me win a premiership at the Suns especially given Prestia, Caddy and later vintages like Omeara, Bennell/Matera, Dixon, Smith and Saad have already left so the chances of a shorter time frame, despite Cochranes spin, are simply unrealistic!! Instead of Cochrane, instead of Hunt, the Suns need to get real to forge a viable list going forward for their future that their youngsters and future can get behind and believe in to make the club sustainable and successful!!

Last edited:
Freo fans would hate it if say M Walters decided to go to the Magpies as a F/A but we are a decent club with some advantages so while it would suck for us it is not having an overall negative impact on the health of the game , but GC are a bit different aren't they if Lynch goes to the Tigers that would be him , Prestia and Caddy all who started at the GC and have ended up at the reigning premiers and if you think that's healthy for football as a whole then they may as well wrap them up

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You do realise the difference between a trade and a free agent acquisition don't you buddy ?

It is quite clear that the majority of posters are of the belief that the current Free Agency structure has way too many flaws and needs an urgent review & revamp.

So instead of taking potshots at each other over which club did what and why, how about we, as a part of the football supporting public, pool resources and come up with an alternative & viable way for it to work ??

This is happening anyway - so why should a club like Carlton have to pay 95% of the cap when they've stripped all their experienced players?
They should because there's too much of a disparity between top and bottom as it is. A suggestion to reward teams for being $2mil under the cap and letting them go $2mil above would serve to make this not only a legitimate strategy but the only way to a premiership. You would have to cop a year or two of being $4mil in TPP below some of your opponents.

Do you like watching 80 point blowouts on a regular basis?

It is quite clear that the majority of posters are of the belief that the current Free Agency structure has way too many flaws and needs an urgent review & revamp.

So instead of taking potshots at each other over which club did what and why, how about we, as a part of the football supporting public, pool resources and come up with an alternative & viable way for it to work ??
You should start a petition.

I think that just highlights the inequity though. Losing a FA for Hawthorn isn't that bad. They are (and were) a big and successful club that can very easily just go out and attract other players.

In comparison when GC lose Lynch besides a draft pick (which won't really help for years - assuming they actually nail the pick) the extra salary isn't exactly very useful when no-one wants to go up there. You end up either overpaying your existing players or wasting away your money on an average player.

All we have to do is look at the NBA's struggles right now with free agent/player movement. It's a much more 'grown up' industry than ours but they still have massive problems with the good players all frequently abandoning the little markets like Cleveland, San Antonio etc to make it to places like LA.

Hawthorn were a stronger team when losing buddy than GC now, but at the time supporters were predicting the hawks demise and the swans dominance ....... neither has happened. It’s not the panacea for success nor the recipe for disaster.

The NBA has its problems but a marquee player on the floor represents 20% of the team compared to 5% in the AFL. Point being the impact on one/two marquee players in the NBA can change a teams fortunes dramatically.

Plus the draft pick, and the ability to court someone else. Yes.

The context this discussion was on the basis of there being no compensation pick.

The idea that Gold Coast could lose Lynch and it all evens itself out to such a degree that a pick coming back their way isn’t even required to balance the loss is complete rubbish.

The context this discussion was on the basis of there being no compensation pick.

The idea that Gold Coast could lose Lynch and it all evens itself out to such a degree that a pick coming back their way isn’t even required to balance the loss is complete rubbish.

The smart clubs can use it to their advantage. It obviously frees up a lot of salary cap space which they can use to attract a player of their own or depending on where they are on the ‘premiership clock’ look to front-end some current contracts so that they will have plenty of space when their time arrives.

I thought it was ridiculous to bring it in to begin with. Players that wanted to move to another club generally did so via a trade as they did not want to run the risk of being picked up in the PSD by a lowly team. The transferor was duly compensated.

The AFL have always been frightened that legal action will be taken challenging restraint of trade of players so this was a sort of compromise to hopefully avert that possibility. If you then start putting caveats on which clubs you can actually go to, then the whole restraint of trade issue rears its head again which would make no sense.

The smart clubs can use it to their advantage.

Not buying it. Some clubs will gain advantage from cap space, other clubs won’t. It has less to do with “smart” and more to do with the position a club is in at the time. Imagine GC lose Lynch without a compensation pick. You’d have to be an idealogue devoid of reasoning to suggest they get some advantage from that outcome because hey - they’ve got more salary cap space now. It’s nonsense.

EDIT: As for restraint of trade, I wish the AFL had the balls to test it out. They’re an employer. If employees don’t won’t to work in the cities they’re placed, players are fully entitled to move to another employer. If you want to earn the big bucks working on Wall Street, you’re gonna have to move to NY.

Last edited:

Feel the clubs gave up too much to begin with but I believe the best option from here is:

Total free agency for every player after 6-7 years.

Clubs have the ability to trade players without their permission.

I really feel that’s what we are moving towards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The deal for Lever was fine but he shouldn't have been allowed to nominate a club. Let him nominate a state instead and let the Crows raffle him off the highest bidder. Why should Lever have defacto FA status?
I can see your point but that would give Victorian clubs an unfair advantage as you'd have ten clubs able to bid rather than just two for each other state, not to mention the lawyers have a field day with restraint of trade suits.

I can see your point but that would give Victorian clubs an unfair advantage as you'd have ten clubs able to bid rather than just two for each other state, not to mention the lawyers have a field day with restraint of trade suits.

It's actually a disadvantage, because you would have to outbid 9 teams to get a player instead of just one.

Free agency is an absolute ******* joke that works to favor Victorian clubs. Like everything else about this game.
Some of the biggest names have moved interstate to Non Victorian clubs - Franklin, Betts, Rockliff. So in fact it hasn't favoured the Victorian power clubs.

Interventionist regimes are never perfect, nor free market!!

The entire AFL platform of salary cap, trade, FA, resources, home ground, fixture, talent identification, members, income streams, player development etc etc

My god ........ let’s focus on game day rule changes and FA ....... priorities are skewed beyond belief and the moron gill should be shipped out NOW!!

Anything to stop a Richmond dynasty. That's how it reads to me. 37 years we wait for a Premiership and now it's happened and the Tigers are still on top while everyone is complaining about pretty much everything..... 'It's not fair. The Tigers are really good, it's not right. What happened to our great game?'

In summary, Richmond have destroyed footy. Really sorry about that. Go Tigers!!!!!

Welcome to our world mate

2010. Interchange
Zoning changes

It's amazing that all the commentary from people in the game, the media and the fans and yet they still don't understand the concept of free agency and what it actually means.
You get the usual responses, "no equalisation, no power to clubs, strong get stronger etc.

Free Agency isnt designed to be an equalisation measure.
Nor is it designed to give power to the clubs.

It is designed to reward players who have served a number of years at their clubs, with loyalty, to then have freedom of choice in terms of where they wish to work.
It's as simple as that.
The rest is pure garbage, whinging and sooking from people who cannot accept that this is normal ******* practice everywhere else in the world.

If after 8 years, you have a player who wishes to leave, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.
In 8 years, if you have not created an environment where a player or players wish to be a part of, improve and strive for excellence, then I'm sorry, don't go blaming Free Agency, the AFL, the AFLPA, the players, the managers etc.
You only need to look into a mirror.

Take Tom Lynch for example, Robbo, Riewodlt etc all questioning "how can he walk in back to GC next week and look them in the eye?".
Pretty simple.
He has been there 8 years- probably its longest current serving player or close to it.
He has provided that club better service than almost any other player in its history- Gary Ablett aside and definitely better service than anyone else on its current list.

IMO, they'd have some nerve to even question what he has provided that football club over 8 years, not 8 minutes.

They get a top draft pick who they have to pay standard wages for next two years. They also have a million of dollars extra salary cap to go get another player. Doesn't this "even it out". When we lost buddy, this helped us to keep the rest of the group intact and also bring in Frawley / McEvoy which helped us win a few more flags. We just got jibbed on a relative basis getting only pick 18 compensation.

They should drop the compensation pick and just make do with extra salary cap.

Not buying it. Some clubs will gain advantage from cap space, other clubs won’t. It has less to do with “smart” and more to do with the position a club is in at the time. Imagine GC lose Lynch without a compensation pick. You’d have to be an idealogue devoid of reasoning to suggest they get some advantage from that outcome because hey - they’ve got more salary cap space now. It’s nonsense.

EDIT: As for restraint of trade, I wish the AFL had the balls to test it out. They’re an employer. If employees don’t won’t to work in the cities they’re placed, players are fully entitled to move to another employer. If you want to earn the big bucks working on Wall Street, you’re gonna have to move to NY.
I'm not saying they get an advantage, particularly in the short term, but it's not all doom & gloom. They have an opportunity to structure their TPP to have room in the future, rid themselves of a player that doesn't want to be there and develop players & their game a little differently.

I don't want the AFL or a player to test the 'restraint of trade' laws as there's a risk there may be a case and as a result any player can move anywhere at anytime (subject to the National Employment Standards) just like ordinary employees. Competition would be screwed in no time.

I wish free agency never came in but since it has, you have to let the qualifying player have unfettered choice - otherwise there's nothing surer than a restraint of trade complaint eventually being lodged.

I don't agree with compensation with picks either. Say Richmond finishes 3rd last and Essendon 4th last but the Bombers lose a player to Hawthorn and get a pick ahead of us as a result. Why should we be worse off because of a 'transaction' that had nothing to do with us and is based on criteria that remains a mystery to most of us.

Back