Colin Wisbey's stephen Hill Profile

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes no mention of that, except calling him slow.

Maybe not as explicitly as you would like but said "runs hard and often". I think that snippet was a off the cuff statement, not a thought out profile so its harsh to judge Colin on that anyway. I personally think what Colin said was fair. Its just that Rhys adapted very well from day 1 which is an aspect of recruiting that cannot be predicted. Some players take to AFL like they were born for it, others with just as many junior accolades struggle to pick up the tempo ever.

Its the amount of detail that Wisbey picks up that means he is a better predictor than most, and thats what makes his posts so great. I think that partially comes from him actually getting to a huge number of games.

It should be cautioned however that Wiseby has "favored attributes" that will push up some particular types of player in his rankings, that much is clear to me having read his posts for some years. IMO Hill is very much a Wiseby favorite category, whereas Palmer (like famously McClean before him) wasn't/isn't. But this doesn't and shouldn't detract from Wiseby's comments - he is an educated scholar when it comes to the draft.

Also very accurate on Palmer ;)
Wow. Practically smack on with Palmer. Will dominate early but will be found out. LMAO at everyone say how wrong he was. He's pointed out that Palmer may be good in his first year and that he's flaws will subsequently be found out and he'll end up as a workhorse. 100% right on the money.

This guy's a gun if that accurate description is the norm.

Wow. Practically smack on with Palmer. Will dominate early but will be found out. LMAO at everyone say how wrong he was. He's pointed out that Palmer may be good in his first year and that he's flaws will subsequently be found out and he'll end up as a workhorse. 100% right on the money.

This guy's a gun if that accurate description is the norm.

You keep telling yourself that big fella....
Palmer >>>>>>>>>>>>>> *daylight* >>>>> Masten

Must be hard to accept for ya, che'?

Palmer is very good but being a work horse (a good one at that) isnt a bad thing, it could well be the reason you drafted the very damaging very quick hill.

Not all of Cols ratings are 100% spot on but he will be closer then most he is a keen watcher

That was the Reason Colin stopped posting all his Profile just because of that Reason
He also got lots of personal abuse and BullShit DTM, just didnt need it i suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think is his biggest asset?

Mentality. Palmer probably wouldn't be in the top 5 most gifted players in that draft, but I can almost certainly guarantee that he will be in the top 5 best performed by the time he finishes up. He is the sort of guy that will leave no stone unturned in making sure he gets absolutley everything he can out of himself

take his kicking for example, that is a fitness/strength issue rather than a techique one. A lot of people were comparing his kicking to other first year players, but how many other first year players where running 15km + a game? Can you imagine running 1km and then trying to pin point a pass? then imagine trying to do that 15 times in two hours. The criticism he got last year for a 19 yo was ridiculous. Once his fitness and strength are up to scratch I imagine his disposal will be fine

Mentality. Palmer probably wouldn't be in the top 5 most gifted players in that draft, but I can almost certainly guarantee that he will be in the top 5 best performed by the time he finishes up. He is the sort of guy that will leave no stone unturned in making sure he gets absolutley everything he can out of himself

take his kicking for example, that is a fitness/strength issue rather than a techique one. A lot of people were comparing his kicking to other first year players, but how many other first year players where running 15km + a game? Can you imagine running 1km and then trying to pin point a pass? then imagine trying to do that 15 times in two hours. The criticism he got last year for a 19 yo was ridiculous. Once his fitness and strength are up to scratch I imagine his disposal will be fine

I think thats the point people like Colin are making. He already has the fitness base and mindset of a seasoned AFL player. Palmer can already run a 15 beep test. Someone like Cotchin struggled to get past mid 13s. Cotchin's endurance has plenty of room to improve over a couple of preseasons. Questionable whether Palmer could really get much more out of himself in terms of endurance because guys like Judd and Cousins only ran 15 beeps at their peak. Naturally Rhys will improve just with age and experience but a guy like Cotchin has alot more room to improve various aspects of his game IMO.

Not criticising Palmer, he will be a very good player indeed. At risk of turning this into Palmer v Cotchin debate (which none of us want) I personally think Cotchin will be a better player long term mostly for the reason I outlined above.

Cotchin is without doubt higher risk though.

He is injured, again.

Palmer's attitude would be, "If I can run 15s now, why can't I run 16s at my peak?"

That's what makes him so great, and where people have marked his achievements as a peak, it is indeed where they are wrong, because it is only an indication of his work ethic. Nothing more, nothing less, and because of that, no-one knows where his peak is.

I personally think its pretty safe to assume a peak in terms of endurance Chop. The human body is only capable of so much and we have seen many, many quality athletes more gifted than Palmer with just has good a mindset and they had awesome endurance but levelled off all at about the same range (Buckley, Bradley, Crawford, Cousins etc). Its a absolute credit to Rhys that he nearly reached that level through his dedication in training and extra sessions before being drafted.

Just my POV, Rhys could well be one out of the bag. Who is to know.

I don't know if it's relevant to this point about endurance in footballers but it seems to me that a lot of long distance runners and road cyclists seem to peak in their late twenties/early thirties.

I don't know if it's relevant to this point about endurance in footballers but it seems to me that a lot of long distance runners and road cyclists seem to peak in their late twenties/early thirties.
Indeed. Like I posted above.

Power athletes generally peak between 25-28, but it extends later as well, and it's slightly later again in endurance athletes in males.

What is it with these sad acts like bananawhatever that need to put other clubs players down? Palmer plays 20 of the best games played by a first year player ever, wins the rising star in a canter from very strong field but somehow dickweeds here have to try and devalue that? Oh yes Palmer was AFL ready when he was 12 but he won't get any better. Masten though will grow 12 inches to his knob and start playing like Judd next year and Cotchin will cure cancer while addressing the UN about his Nobel Prize.
Just enjoy watching an amazing athlete go about it and leave the bitterness at home.
Bingle Jells

Palmer has 10 years and the facilities of an AFL club to improve his kicking. Im not worried about it, neither are any other Freo supporters. Go cry somewhere else :thumbsdown:

Merry Christmas

What is it with these sad acts like bananawhatever that need to put other clubs players down? Palmer plays 20 of the best games played by a first year player ever, wins the rising star in a canter from very strong field but somehow dickweeds here have to try and devalue that? Oh yes Palmer was AFL ready when he was 12 but he won't get any better. Masten though will grow 12 inches to his knob and start playing like Judd next year and Cotchin will cure cancer while addressing the UN about his Nobel Prize.
Just enjoy watching an amazing athlete go about it and leave the bitterness at home.
Bingle Jells

this is the best post I have read in a long time, cheers

Also very accurate on Palmer ;)

Bingle Jells

couldnt have said it better eshed..... so many idiots out there wanting to bag palmer, manly i think because he lasted untill pick 7 and their own club was too stupid to pick him up.... nuff-nuffs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back