Coach Collingwood and Buckley - time to move on

Remove this Banner Ad

They have a couple of good kids but one wonders about development.

With McGuire bitter and lighting the dumpster truck, chances are the Club will go through another unstable patch. Whether Buckley goes or not, there will be controversy. In light of this I wonder whether Daicos jnr will sign the FS dotted line.

I suppose with North as the alternative, he probably will sign up with the Pies.

Personally, I think coaches are somewhat overrated, it is all about the list

Pies still have some great young talent

JDG would be an option, if he can't take his game to the next level, moreso in consistency, but he is a freak match winner

Contending sides may look at Crisp and or Elliott, hence, may part with a late 1st/early 2nd for either

I rate their kids, Daicos x 2, McCrae, Henry, Poulter, Quaynor

Yeah I wasn't considering those players in terms of trade value because defeats the point to trade them.

I guess we will see but I would be very surprised if either Crisp or Elliot were worth a top 25 pick.

I'm well and truly over the outdated Collingwood obsession with appointing favourite sons as coach. Bobby Rose (was unlucky), Murray Weideman, Tony Shaw and now Buckley. All have fallen short, some of them well and truly. Its an absolute bullshit and unprofessional approach in this day and age. Burns may or may not turn out to be a good coach. I would much prefer they cast the net a lot wider.
Buckley fell short by a straight kick on the boundary.

Buckley fell short by a straight kick on the boundary.

This is the thing. He deconstructed Malthouse's premiership side and built it up again to reach a grand final. Not every coach is capable of it, and Buckley's shown he can do it. Whoever coaches from here is going to require some time to return Collingwood to contender status, so it's partly a question of whether Buckley still has the hunger and the ability to motivate and partly whether there are better candidates avaialble.

At 48 he should be in his peak years.

This is the thing. He deconstructed Malthouse's premiership side and built it up again to reach a grand final. Not every coach is capable of it, and Buckley's shown he can do it. Whoever coaches from here is going to require some time to return Collingwood to contender status, so it's partly a question of whether Buckley still has the hunger and the ability to motivate and partly whether there are better candidates avaialble.

At 48 he should be in his peak years.
He also had the balls at start of his term to get rid of a few big name alphas who were probably not having influence he liked. Not easy to do

He also had the balls at start of his term to get rid of a few big name alphas who were probably not having influence he liked. Not easy to do

Easier first time around when the new coach has carte blanche. Few stay around for a second rebuild when they have to tap blokes on the shoulder that they've developed. The players are probably already shaken by the off-season departures.

Isnt the driving force as you put it, that they stuffed up their salary cap in a way few clubs have done? The rumour also was that Pies had been told earlier in season that Beams contract would not count towards salary cap, only for this to change last minute. Then they had the fire Sale and weren't honest with supporters about their plight instead fabricating BS about Treloar and Guy talking about refreshing the list etc

It seems to be, but no one really knows.

OUT: Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson, Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Beams, Langdon.
IN: 6 draftees

That's a lot of salary cap room even considering paying part of Treloar's salary and perhaps others.

The Beams thing is a possibility, but if Ed tried to keep it quiet then it is more likely a Collingwood stuff up. If the AFL changed their mind last minute and dropped Collingwood in the poo, you would expect Ed to be fired up about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Bucks survive this loss??

Not to mention Pies home game at the G and less than 30k turn up on a beautiful Saturday Arvo? Looks like the Pies fan have checked out as well.

First MCG win for four years by the Suns, and bad timing for Buckley after saying during the week that he wanted to coach on. Hard not to interpret today's performance as a lack of enthusiasm from the players, if not a vote of no confidence.

How you can say the list is playing for him at this point is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back