List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're asking if we should give more than we did for Treloar (and by a fair bit) which would easily trump our contract to Mayne as the dumbest list management decision in club history, IMO.
I think you missed The Collingwood v Richmond trade wars a few decades back
I think you missed not getting Lockett by board vote
I think you missed not getting Bernie Quinlan for a lousy $5 k more (though 5k was more in those days)

Out of interest, how much is DeGoey worth and scenario's we can use him for?
For the first part of season he's not worth any disposals at all :(

In time he'll be our Rockliff type so it will work well

I think you missed not getting Bernie Quinlan for a lousy $5 k more (though 5k was more in those days)

For someone that doesn't care about the impact on the salary cap you are are hellbent on defending the idiots that pulled the trigger on that one!

IMO, it's in the top three dumbest moves since the turn of the century with Daisy>Betts and Stephen O'Reilly. I would include Yarran to Richmond, but they got lucky with his contract terminated.

At least you can be pleased with the thought that MM is in that prestigious company!

For the first part of season he's not worth any disposals at all :(

In time he'll be our Rockliff type so it will work well
Rockliff type you mean captain that is being shopped around and nobody wants him? Nah. The closest he will get to the leadership group is when he has to fess up to something.
The shopping part is true as we found out.

For someone that doesn't care about the impact on the salary cap you are are hellbent on defending the idiots that pulled the trigger on that one!

IMO, it's in the top three dumbest moves since the turn of the century with Daisy>Betts and Stephen O'Reilly. I would include Yarran to Richmond, but they got lucky with his contract terminated.

At least you can be pleased with the thought that MM is in that prestigious company!
I think you are a bit obsessive about Mayne.
Was it a good trade? Time will tell.
Did he come on free agency?
I guess so.
What is he paid? Apparantly quite a bit.

What Mr Malthouse has done or did after Collingwood is not really what I think too much about.

My main point (pun intended) is that Mayne isn't quite up there with the worst of trading/list manoeuvres.

Though for what it's worth, I'm more about bringing in "used" players that are certain best 22 or at least on the verge of such. Slight leeway for role players eg a ruck or back that's required for depth. But I'd want them cheap.

Hence Wells, worth it ( the risk of taking him and he was free agent) regardless of less games played etc because he is bona fide best 22 and pure silk. In my view I'd have taken B Harvey for a season, but anyway.
Wells is silk.

Mayne is he best 22, not sure he is, is he a role player, yes so he gets a small tick.
Was he a free agent, yes, so that's ok.
Is he cheap? Apparantly not. I'd pay less or would have, but Mr Allen paid more as the rumours go, and we are where we are.

Is it the worst blunder of all time by us, sorry not at all. Many similar hits and misses.

Rockliff type you mean captain that is being shopped around and nobody wants him? Nah. The closest he will get to the leadership group is when he has to fess up to something.
The shopping part is true as we found out.
I was thinking more about our young pup Jordy being a bull type.
Not sure Jordan will ever be in leadership, but he may mature, he may get smarter, he may have a penny drop, who knows.
But he's a dill yesterday, a bit wiser today and tomorrow he may become an elite level talent.

Whilst he's ours, I'd back him in.

I think you are a bit obsessive about Mayne.
Was it a good trade? Time will tell.
Did he come on free agency?
I guess so.
What is he paid? Apparantly quite a bit.

What Mr Malthouse has done or did after Collingwood is not really what I think too much about.

My main point (pun intended) is that Mayne isn't quite up there with the worst of trading/list manoeuvres.

Though for what it's worth, I'm more about bringing in "used" players that are certain best 22 or at least on the verge of such. Slight leeway for role players eg a ruck or back that's required for depth. But I'd want them cheap.

Hence Wells, worth it ( the risk of taking him and he was free agent) regardless of less games played etc because he is bona fide best 22 and pure silk. In my view I'd have taken B Harvey for a season, but anyway.
Wells is silk.

Mayne is he best 22, not sure he is, is he a role player, yes so he gets a small tick.
Was he a free agent, yes, so that's ok.
Is he cheap? Apparantly not. I'd pay less or would have, but Mr Allen paid more as the rumours go, and we are where we are.

Is it the worst blunder of all time by us, sorry not at all. Many similar hits and misses.

On this you are wrong.

On this you are wrong.
Pardon me for butting in but it seems to me you do have a bit of a Mayne obsession Sco! Yes I know he has annoying hair and he is a very very overpaid player... but ... let it go... let it go Sco.

Pardon me for butting in but it seems to me you do have a bit of a Mayne obsession Sco! Yes I know he has annoying hair and he is a very very overpaid player... but ... let it go... let it go Sco.

Sorry doodles I do respect your POV, but you're wrong here the obsession isn't with Mayne its with the morons that made the call. Until people start being held to account for ineptitude the status quo will continue!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry doodles I do respect your POV, but you're wrong here the obsession isn't with Mayne its with the morons that made the call. Until people start being held to account for ineptitude the status quo will continue!
I know mate. Trust me I do. I do not dispute what you are saying about the performance of our footy department and club executive. I share your concerns 100%. I also appreciate that you are one of the posters who stands up and articulately points this stuff out to everyone.

But I'm more coming at it from your own personal angle... we can't do anything about it. And at the end of the day we support the club because we love it and we want to get enjoyment from supporting it... even if it is currently unsuccessful and run by morons.

The other thing I see is that you are making a big unfounded assumption on our cap projections. With our list turnover rate and guys like Sinclair, Blair, Greenwood, White, Oxley, Goldsack likely to be moved on in the next few years; plus the front, back, middle loading options clubs have; we are going to be able to make room to land a big fish or two if the club wants to. I think you are wrong in your assumption that recruiting Mayne has torpedoed future recruitment of big money free agents.

I know mate. Trust me I do. I do not dispute what you are saying about the performance of our footy department and club executive. I share your concerns 100%. I also appreciate that you are one of the posters who stands up and articulately points this stuff out to everyone.

But I'm more coming at it from your own personal angle... we can't do anything about it. And at the end of the day we support the club because we love it and we want to get enjoyment from supporting it... even if it is currently unsuccessful and run by morons.

The other thing I see is that you are making a big unfounded assumption on our cap projections. With our list turnover rate and guys like Sinclair, Blair, Greenwood, White, Oxley, Goldsack likely to be moved on in the next few years; plus the front, back, middle loading options clubs have; we are going to be able to make room to land a big fish or two if the club wants to. I think you are wrong in your assumption that recruiting Mayne has torpedoed future recruitment of big money free agents.

That's unfortunately an assumption on your behalf too. Regardless it also doesn't negate the idiocy of the Mayne deal in much the same way that two wrongs don't make a right because he'll still be on that exorbidant contract.

As much as it may shock some my perceived demeanor in an online forum is in stark contrast to the AFL member that sits in the outer watching proceedings 15 times a year. I can separate my disdain for those in charge from the 44 hours of of football we get from the group each year.

FWIW something can be done about it just not yet...

The best football war in the history of the game. Both clubs traded blows for 5 plus years. BTW Richmond have never recovered from those days.
Locket decision was silly but influenced by Sav Rocca's emergence. Proven to be a poor decision.
From memory Bernie Quinlan played for another 9 seasons when he crossed from Footscray to Fitzroy.
Nothing lousy about $5k in 1978 when you could buy a house for around $25k, but given he played for so long would have made it insignificant.

Last edited:
That's unfortunately an assumption on your behalf too. Regardless it also doesn't negate the idiocy of the Mayne deal in much the same way that two wrongs don't make a right because he'll still be on that exorbidant contract.

As much as it may shock some my perceived demeanor in an online forum is in stark contrast to the AFL member that sits in the outer watching proceedings 15 times a year. I can separate my disdain for those in charge from the 44 hours of of football we get from the group each year.

Gallows or firing squad...?

We only get 4 hours of football from the group each week unfortunately. Lazy buggers!

I don't think I was making an assumption. The club CAN move players on to create cap space, the club does have contract loading options to create cap space. That's a fact!

My assumption is this: We lost Swan, Cloke, Witts, Toovey, Macaffer, Brown, Frost, Williams, Marsh and a bunch of others from our list. That is a BIG chunk of our cap walking out the door. We brought in Wells and Mayne on "big money".. and Dunn, WHE then draftees. I think you'll find we ended up having to front load nearly all our incoming players just to make up for the cap space we shed; even with Mayne and Wells.

We only get 4 hours of football from the group each week unfortunately. Lazy buggers!

I don't think I was making an assumption. The club CAN move players on to create cap space, the club does have contract loading options to create cap space. That's a fact!

My assumption is this: We lost Swan, Cloke, Witts, Toovey, Macaffer, Brown, Frost, Williams, Marsh and a bunch of others from our list. That is a BIG chunk of our cap walking out the door. We brought in Wells and Mayne on "big money".. and Dunn, WHE then draftees. I think you'll find we ended up having to front load nearly all our incoming players just to make up for the cap space we shed; even with Mayne and Wells.

Nah the assumption was where you said they were likely to be moved on. I don't think that's particularly likely without change in the FD considering all bar Oxley are in our best 25.

One thing to add on the discussion that SV and I were in is at least the FD were not to prideful to select Mayne this week. With Greenwood, Wells, Elliott and JDG waiting in the wings plus Broomhead too good for the lower level it isn't a good sign to see him miss. Especially if Cox and White perform.

Nah the assumption was where you said they were likely to be moved on. I don't think that's particularly likely without change in the FD considering all bar Oxley are in our best 25.

One thing to add on the discussion that SV and I were in is at least the FD were not to prideful to select Mayne this week. With Greenwood, Wells, Elliott and JDG waiting in the wings plus Broomhead too good for the lower level it isn't a good sign to see him miss. Especially if Cox and White perform.
If we want to land Fyfe, as an example, and we need more cap space, then the club has the option to pull the plug on the likes of Blair, Goldsack, Sinclair. These guys will never take us to the next level and can be replaced by guys we already have pushing through the VFL. If we land a Fyfe or a Martin we automatically become the clear best midfield group in the comp and make a quantum leap. I for one hope we do get ruthless with some of our guys like this to land some more elite talent.

Yes you are right, it was a good gutsy call from our FD not to play Mayne. There would have been all sorts of pressure to do so. We will have injuries and Mayne will be needed.

I am coming around to your way of thinking about the decision to recruit him too... mainly because if he's just fringe and injury cover I'd prefer we gave games to guys like Broomhead and Crocker or even Daics and Brown who have a clear upside advantage. It's not a salary cap issue for me.

I do think Mayne will end up being a handy player we appreciate having on the list though and he may make a difference to our coaches chances of making finals this year. Thats why we recruited him.

Makes me think Sando, (as the forward coach) is having an influence already i.e, robust discussion.

Can you imagine the melts on the Richmond board if Dusty were to switch to the Pies!!! omg omg omg please please please make this happen..

Can you imagine the melts on the Richmond board if Dusty were to switch to the Pies!!! omg omg omg please please please make this happen..

Not a Fan of Getting Dusty as have Bigger Needs but Be good just watch the Tigers Fans go into a Massive Meltdown might be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back