Preview Collingwood v Port Adelaide, 25 March, 1.45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there you go -- in the preview last week, I suggested there were lots of questions to be answered about the Mighty Magpies. The game against Geelong has answered almost all of them. Our clearance work is better thanks to Mitchell. Bobby Hill will make an impact. Our game plan holds up and is well suited to our players, and it holds up even under severe pressure. Jordan DeGoey is likely to to rise to his talent level and dominate the competition. Most importantly -- we are one of the best teams in the comp. Yes, yes, it's only one game in a long season, but it was enough evidence for me. Let's bask in the glory a little.

Still, there was one huge downer during the stellar night. The greatest mark the game has seen, Jeremy Howe, flew kamikaze-style into a spoil. He shot through the air horizontally, like a missile, and when he crashed do the ground he shattered his arm. This is a heavy blow. Howe has defied age. He leaps like a cat, he possesses incredible pace, he intercepts to start shredding counterattacks with his two-sided elite disposal. He helps organise us with his onfield leadership. We can only hope he's back before too long.

Which means.... step up Billy Frampton (sorry Kelly, I've given up on you for the moment). Murphy takes Howe's more intercepting role and Frampton takes Murphy's more lockdown one.

We still have enviable depth which will hold us in good stead for a while yet.

Opponents: The Power

The Power are a strange team. A newcomer to the competition, there's no traditional hate between us. I don't harbour long-held vendettas against them for rodent-like, deceitful, morally repugnant, behaviour (yes Carlton, I'm pointing the bone at you). But they do seem to possess some odious personalities. Kane Cornes is a professional stirrer, a kind of shock jock of football, minus the politics. I hated him as a player, but now he's more like an annoyance, the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear at night. And their President, the loathsome, middle-brow, out-of-touch, egotistical Koshi.? A morning TV presenter as President? I feel sorry for Port's coach.

What about the current team? They have a great interceptor in Alir, a good key forward in Dixon, wild-cards in Georgiades and Rioli, some inside bulls in Wines and Powell-Pepper, some elite young talent with Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. They were excellent at home against a highly-touted Brisbane, doing the Lions down and by doing so, proving their upper level is elite. And yet, and yet, I still don't quite know what they are. I suppose another way of looking at it is that they're pretty good at everything. They look like they'll be battling with a bunch of teams for a top-four spot.

This game then is going to ask a few more questions of us: Will McStay actually be the player we hope? He was great in the pre-season but his performance against Geelong was disappointing. Will the Cox/Cameron duo continue to fight the good fight? They were solid against Geelong but here they should be better, before the real tests come. How will the backline go without Howe? Will our better clearance work hold steady?

The Washup

The game's at the MCG, we're in stellar form, and the Power are surging but can we trust them? About as much as we can trust Kreepy Koshi and Shock-Jock Kane.

The Pies by 13 points!

One change.

And we know who the sub will be

COLLINGWOOD V PORT ADELAIDE
BIsaac QuaynorBilly FramptonBrayden Maynard
HBWill Hoskin-ElliottDarcy MooreScott Pendlebury
CJohn NobleTaylor AdamsJosh Daicos
HFSteele SidebottomBrody MihocekBobby Hill
FJamie ElliottDarcy CameronNick Daicos
RDan McStayJordan De GoeyJack Crisp
INTTom MitchellNathan MurphyBeau McCreery
Mason Cox
EMERGTrent BiancoTrey RuscoeReef McInnes
Josh Carmichael

One change.

Mason Cox
Josh Carmichael
Would have liked to see Reef in and WHE sub.

No surprises with Frampton coming in for Howe.I would have liked to have seen Reef get a full game this week instead of just being the sub.I thought our forward line looked more dangerous last week when he came on in the second half.

Weird opinion that staying away from the ball = better, but each to their own I guess.

I mean, it was your own weird opinion that he seemed a lot better in the 2nd half because he had less of it that I was responding to, but each to their own I guess.

WHE is the weakest player on that team sheet for mine

Would’ve dropped him and picked McInness

Then slotted Noble into that rebound role

Noble will start in either the HB slot or on the bench. Was named the same way last weekend and that was what happened.

Me too. But we've got too many forwards (thank the lord) and I'm not sure if any of them can do enough Kms to chop out on the wing.

I think Beau could probably do it but his tackling would be less damaging away from the forward 50.

Elliott could also do it, playing a role similar to that great season Richo had in 2008 where he polled really high in the brownlow.

I was thinking about the same conundrum in the hope that Ash can force his way back into the 22 and who would be pushed upfield.

One change.

Mason Cox
Josh Carmichael

Would love to see Carmichael get a run but I assume he'll be behind McInnes for the sub role. Think his presence in the midfield could be more significant than McInnes forward though for this game.

I think Beau could probably do it but his tackling would be less damaging away from the forward 50.

Elliott could also do it, playing a role similar to that great season Richo had in 2008 where he polled really high in the brownlow.

I was thinking about the same conundrum in the hope that Ash can force his way back into the 22 and who would be pushed upfield.
Hill is the one. I reckon he was born to play wing. No idea whether he has the endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are a fair dinkum hard working side with an honest coach and hard from the midfield out. Boak, Lycett, Dixon, Baldpepper, Alir, all tough as nails.

Geelong were a test if our mental toughness, this mob will test our bodies too.

Given the way the poor umps get undermined by Gil and his clowns they often end up going with emotion. I expect we will be adequately protected and (unfortunately) even favored as Geelong were in the first half and we were in the second last week.

Any phonies will be found out on Saturday, I think we have whole hearted players and can win but we will be asked searching questions by a fierce and united team.

Hope the surface has improved, disgraceful how Geelong got crippled and it could've been us.

As usual, this game to be decided in the midfield.
Powell-Pepper and Wines their two big mids, but we have plenty to oppose them (Tay, Mitchell, JDG). They have some elite young talent, but Jaicos and Naicos and Hill are our answer to theirs. I know who i prefer to have!

We will need maximum team defence to choke supply to their forward line, as in the Geelong game.
This will be a big test for Frampton, and his role will be very important in allowing our defence to play its fantastically aggressive rebound.
We will need to make sure we use Cox and Cameron to maximum advantage, in tandem against Lycett.
Areas for our improvement:
  1. WHE has blown quite a few cobwebs away. His game last week was not nearly as bad as many have suggested. Several of his turnovers in the first half last week were due to intense pressure, and not skill errors. His second half was good. He will be all the better for the run.
  2. Checkers and DanMcstay to improve their synchronisation in F50
  3. Jamie Elliott to create more chaos in our F50 with his manic tackling pressure.
  4. Defence to learn lessons from last week and tighten up more on opposition forward threats.
Will be a close game, but I like our chances of winning more than theirs.

Will they make a late change and bring in a 2nd ruck option in Teakle or rely on Dixon and Marshall to give Lycett a chop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back