Preview Collingwood v Port Adelaide, 25 March, 1.45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there you go -- in the preview last week, I suggested there were lots of questions to be answered about the Mighty Magpies. The game against Geelong has answered almost all of them. Our clearance work is better thanks to Mitchell. Bobby Hill will make an impact. Our game plan holds up and is well suited to our players, and it holds up even under severe pressure. Jordan DeGoey is likely to to rise to his talent level and dominate the competition. Most importantly -- we are one of the best teams in the comp. Yes, yes, it's only one game in a long season, but it was enough evidence for me. Let's bask in the glory a little.

Still, there was one huge downer during the stellar night. The greatest mark the game has seen, Jeremy Howe, flew kamikaze-style into a spoil. He shot through the air horizontally, like a missile, and when he crashed do the ground he shattered his arm. This is a heavy blow. Howe has defied age. He leaps like a cat, he possesses incredible pace, he intercepts to start shredding counterattacks with his two-sided elite disposal. He helps organise us with his onfield leadership. We can only hope he's back before too long.

Which means.... step up Billy Frampton (sorry Kelly, I've given up on you for the moment). Murphy takes Howe's more intercepting role and Frampton takes Murphy's more lockdown one.

We still have enviable depth which will hold us in good stead for a while yet.

Opponents: The Power

The Power are a strange team. A newcomer to the competition, there's no traditional hate between us. I don't harbour long-held vendettas against them for rodent-like, deceitful, morally repugnant, behaviour (yes Carlton, I'm pointing the bone at you). But they do seem to possess some odious personalities. Kane Cornes is a professional stirrer, a kind of shock jock of football, minus the politics. I hated him as a player, but now he's more like an annoyance, the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear at night. And their President, the loathsome, middle-brow, out-of-touch, egotistical Koshi.? A morning TV presenter as President? I feel sorry for Port's coach.

What about the current team? They have a great interceptor in Alir, a good key forward in Dixon, wild-cards in Georgiades and Rioli, some inside bulls in Wines and Powell-Pepper, some elite young talent with Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. They were excellent at home against a highly-touted Brisbane, doing the Lions down and by doing so, proving their upper level is elite. And yet, and yet, I still don't quite know what they are. I suppose another way of looking at it is that they're pretty good at everything. They look like they'll be battling with a bunch of teams for a top-four spot.

This game then is going to ask a few more questions of us: Will McStay actually be the player we hope? He was great in the pre-season but his performance against Geelong was disappointing. Will the Cox/Cameron duo continue to fight the good fight? They were solid against Geelong but here they should be better, before the real tests come. How will the backline go without Howe? Will our better clearance work hold steady?

The Washup

The game's at the MCG, we're in stellar form, and the Power are surging but can we trust them? About as much as we can trust Kreepy Koshi and Shock-Jock Kane.

The Pies by 13 points!

Agree. I think there are some roles that are almost impossible for us punters to assess and WHE is likely one of those. No one on the board can assess our game plan and individual player roles because no one can access that information.

Players in roles sacrificial roles will always be under estimated. Blair was a.classic in his day and WHE appears to be that now. Those types are usually greatly appreciated by coaches and teammates even if questions are raised on the outside.

Wont surprise me if he does get tipped out this year but I wouldnt count on it.. Whenever that does happen Fly will do it with a heavy heart because he knows the power of unrewarded work WHE does for him.

The best point of reference for assessing WHE is Steele, as they play the most similar role. It's all about closing down space on transition, and getting another outlet to contests. At the match last week, from being at the ground there were several times WHE held up Geelong on rebound by closing space and prevented fast transition across the ground. It takes a lot of running, and it's no surprise that Steele and WHE are the two that can lose their execution a bit at times

The best point of reference for assessing WHE is Steele, as they play the most similar role. It's all about closing down space on transition, and getting another outlet to contests. At the match last week, from being at the ground there were several times WHE held up Geelong on rebound by closing space and prevented fast transition across the ground. It takes a lot of running, and it's no surprise that Steele and WHE are the two that can lose their execution a bit at times
Great observation!

Me too. But we've got too many forwards (thank the lord) and I'm not sure if any of them can do enough Kms to chop out on the wing.

Exactly. The decision was made to retain the same structure which I fully understand.

. Reef and WHE are not like for like. Hoskin ellliot is a running machine

Exactly. The decision was made to retain the same structure which I fully understand.

. Reef and WHE are not like for like. Hoskin ellliot is a running machine
Despite all the expert comments here - WHE keeps getting selected because the coaches know what they are doing - the evidence for which is quite clear.

Will they make a late change and bring in a 2nd ruck option in Teakle or rely on Dixon and Marshall to give Lycett a chop out?

I think this is where we expose them.

Last week, the Port ruck contests were:
Lycett - 75%
Dixon - 15%
Jones - 6%
Wines - 2%
Drew - 1%
Marshall - 1%

We should dominate the 25% which Lycett aren’t involved in. Also, Lycett should feel threatened about having against 2 rucks.

Despite all the expert comments here - WHE keeps getting selected because the coaches know what they are doing - the evidence for which is quite clear.

We all want to see Reef get a full game so it’s understandable that the knives come out for WHE. But structure is essential. He fills a role few can ( Sidey the other), and Lipinski is injured .

Is it my imagination or is 1:45pm a strange start time for a Saturday game at the MCG?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it my imagination or is 1:45pm a strange start time for a Saturday game at the MCG?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's the absolute 100% best time to watch footy. Watch during the day, get some lovely fresh air, go home and watch the replay (if you win) at night and not spend $3000 on beer and terrible food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice win on the weekend, got the tip right!

Just a few questions;

1. Do we feel De Goey is going to be the #1 handball receiver from Titch/Adams inside and be given the license to bomb forward to snag goals? Not expecting 3 goals each week but maybe 3 shots on goal? Alongside Naics and Crisper.

2. I've read JDG is super fit and very happy at the moment, do you see JDG playing full time midfield all year for a Brownlow? Injury free and he's the exact type of player that wins a brownlow.

3. Good to see Taylor Adams fit and firing, is his body going to hold up now he's spending more time forward, is he prone to a rest game? Looks to be much fitter now they finally fixed his groins. Huge for us alongside Titch as the inside bull.

4. Josh Carmichael a sniff for WHE soon? or is he behind someone else? Ppl hate on Hosky but his running ability is second to none and in the modern game you need players like him. He must use the footy better than last week. Hopefully guys like Carmy, Johnson etc bang the door down in the 2's creating selection dilemmas.

Thanks in advance

The backline is a concern. Frampton is likely to struggle, Quaynor had a poor round 1.. A lot is resting on Moore and Maynard defensively.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

If not for some interference for the umps, our defence really got on top in the 2nd half v Geelong. No doubt Port will pose some questions but they'll be chasing our tail most of the day.

Port are a fair dinkum hard working side with an honest coach and hard from the midfield out. Boak, Lycett, Dixon, Baldpepper, Alir, all tough as nails.

Geelong were a test if our mental toughness, this mob will test our bodies too.

Given the way the poor umps get undermined by Gil and his clowns they often end up going with emotion. I expect we will be adequately protected and (unfortunately) even favored as Geelong were in the first half and we were in the second last week.

Any phonies will be found out on Saturday, I think we have whole hearted players and can win but we will be asked searching questions by a fierce and united team.

Hope the surface has improved, disgraceful how Geelong got crippled and it could've been us.

He's a fair campaigner to be honest.

Used to be 2.10.
Yeah but pretty sure that before that it was 2 PM (when they used to kick off every game on a Saturday afternoon to suit all the 5 1/2 day workers). I recall reading news reports of timekeepers and umpires delaying games until 3 pm because of monster crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back