*CONFIRMED* Grand Final 2018 @ 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really get the handwringing either way. I'm not convinced there'll be significant differences between the atmosphere of the game regardless of the time, and ratings are still great regardless. A bit of a nothing issue.

Really. It's that bad?
How do the NFL do it in the States? How does the NRL get away with it here?
What about other sporting events that are largely held at night

I've been to many places overseas. None of which have our pisshead violent culture attached to it.

Maybe I've missed the main point of what you're getting at.
Do we somehow function better when the sun is out as against the moon being out?

We aren't as drunk or as violent during the day as a statistical rule.

Look at the situation objectively and you may find it hard to argue against a night Grand Final, but if you're basing things on personal reasons (eg. kids have to get to be by 9), then you're doing it wrong.

Yeah * all those thousands of fans that come from the country. Melbourne centric types really are the turds of the state.

Everyone needs to ask themselves this question - if they had floodlights like they do now 100 years ago, would of they used them to play the grand final at night?

I think almost certainly yes
No they wouldn't have, running the game would still have been easier in the day. The weather is generally more comfortable for spectators during the day. It would've been day. The only thing a night game is supposedly good for is making it a TV event with tacky s**t like fireworks and extravagant entertainment.

Overall I would prefer it.
As long as it ends in time for small children to enjoy it

It’s a prick of a time.
You are usually at your busiest between 4.30-7.30.
2-5 is perfect. Generally nothing else on, can have dinner, be home at a good time if you have a family or work sunday especially country folks need to get home.
Prepare for a night of celebration/commiseration etc.
Twilight is the worst.
Woohoo, fireworks. Wowee soooo exciting!

So no people work currently on Saturday afternoon? I’m tipping more people work during the day on a Saturday than at night.

Thats my point exactly when i said more people could watch.

Then you said only people who dont care.

Then i asked why you thought people forced to work saturday day dont care about footy.

Then you pointed out more people work during the day, which once again, was my point.

Yep. "It's tradition" is one of the dumbest reasons to do, or not do, just about anything.

It'll go night time eventually, and 2 years after that happens people will be saying "oh yeah, that's right, the grannie used to be during the daytime, didn't it."

It's like any of these type of progressions, people get all worked up, offended and red-faced when these things are suggested, and waste all manner of time and effort railing against it, only to then completely forget about it and move on within months of it happening.

Look at Marriage Equality. The naysayers worked themselves into a deeply triggered frenzy about it, and now, just a few months down the track, the vast majority of them are saying "err...marriage what?"

It's thoroughly hilarious watching that process unfold, time and time again....

Yeah, my sides are splitting.
Jesus.

Gil couldn’t give a rats about country people, or kids, or surveys that year after year state people like the 2:30 start. It’s all about the dollars, if Gil and his merry band could get $1 extra dollar and in the meantime upset everyone, do you think him and his million dollars would care?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, you could have.

But you didn't and because of that it looks like an announcement rather than a question.

I'm going to let this slide given it is a first offence.

Edit: The thread title also says "it's happening" unless I misread.

That's like someone saying "let's go to mine for a bit of privacy" after hooking up at a club and then being told that next year or at some stage they might try and kiss you.

At least it's generating discussion and (hopefully friendly) debate about the issue.

Thats my point exactly when i said more people could watch.

Then you said only people who dont care.

Then i asked why you thought people forced to work saturday day dont care about footy.

Then you pointed out more people work during the day, which once again, was my point.
Haha ok I confused myself there. Still don’t think it’s reason enough to change personally.

Nothing sacred about 2:30, and that starting time isn’t even used for any other game during the year!

Why is/was 2.30 a thing when matches were typically held at 2.10? It was a 2.45pm bouncedown as recently as 2000.

Looking back on previous VFL seasons before night footy it was pretty standard for all games to be at 2.10, then all finals at 2.30 then the GF at 2.50.

I'm 100% certain Channel 7 will have hours of tedious lead up filler regardless of what time it starts.

Haha ok I confused myself there. Still don’t think it’s reason enough to change personally.

But if there is an upside to it - more people can watch.

Whats the downside?

And if there is none, why would we not support a change that requires no effort on our own part.

Why is/was 2.30 a thing when matches were typically held at 2.10? It was a 2.45pm bouncedown as recently as 2000.

Looking back on previous VFL seasons before night footy it was pretty standard for all games to be at 2.10, then all finals at 2.30 then the GF at 2.50.

I'm 100% certain Channel 7 will have hours of tedious lead up filler regardless of what time it starts.
Yep.

Back in the 70s and earlier when basically all games kicked off at 2:10 on Saturday arvo, the GF started later at 2:50 and even 3:00 as they accommodated the u19s and reserve GFs before the seniors kicked off.

Nobody cared that the game started almost an hour later than most normal games.

But now when the majority of games actually start after 4pm, including ALL finals, there are people who are getting worked up about some non-existent 2:30 ‘tradition’.

You play the game at a time that can maximise people watching....back in the old days that was during the day on the weekend, as the only way to watch was to actually be there live.

That ain’t the case anymore, so sticking to a time slot that was based around life in the 1930s makes no sense in the 2010s....except for the 15 year old 2:30 tradition!!

I'd prefer a day game to twilight, but then I don't care if it's 2.00, 2.10, 2.30, 2.40, 2.45, 2.50...

I know Channel 7 wanted Friday night footy to start at 7.50 instead of 7.40 so they could still start at 7.30 and get an extra 10 minutes of fluff in but their GF day coverage starts as soon as the first employee wakes up. My guess is that 4.45-7.45 will be a lead in to a proper night GF so they can get the Saturday night TV audience.

What about country folk and kids? This will no doubt eventually move to a night grand final. How many kids are staying up to watch that?

The same amount of kids that stay up for carols celebrations at Christmas?

The same amount who stay upto watch their team on the weekend.

Come on fella we are talking about 1 day a year.

The same amount of kids that stay up for carols celebrations at Christmas?

The same amount who stay upto watch their team on the weekend.

Come on fella we are talking about 1 day a year.
Why follow what the rest of the world do? I love grand final day the way it is. BBQ prior and then plenty of time to celebrate/commiserate afterwards. Game finishes at 10:30, grand final afterparty finishes at 12am... hit the bars after the game at 12:30am? Ridiculous stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back