Power21

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2004
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
200 big ones this week, thought it deserved a thread.

Been one of my favourtie players since 1997, would have played a few more had it not been for broken legs etc.

Getting better with age.

Absolutely love the gun.

Mention tapwork and he's a prime example of how it should be done.

Surprised he hasn't assaulted an umpire given he's the msot hard done by player in the league over the past few seasons in terms of giving away frees, in my opinion. The umpires just have a field day on him, especially last year.

WELL DONE LADEY / BLADE / LAZZA

"Thats how you get Lade!"

what else can be said about Lade, other than....

Congratulations on your 200th....

To the rest of the team, put everything aside, your GF loss, your horrible efforts of the last three weeks and put to get a win for our champion man.....LADE.

Congrats to him on 200. Awesome player and has been a great influence on the club. Hope Port can win for not just the team but For Lade as hes been a great servant at the club and deserves a win on his 200th.

We've usually done pretty well in 200ths:
  • Peter Burgoyne - R17, 2007: Port d. Melbourne by 89 points (36 disposals)
  • Warren Tredrea - R12, 2007: Port d. Essendon by 31 points (4 goals)
  • Darryl Wakelin - QF, 2004: Port d. Geelong by 55 points (Kingsley 2 goals, Playfair 0)
  • Damien Hardwick - R17, 2004: Port d. WCE by 26 points (Dimmaniggle™)
  • Stephen Paxman - R15, 2001: Port d. Richmond by 44 points (Richo, Ottens, B. Holland duckeggs)
  • Gavin Wanganeen - R12, 2001: Carlton d. Port by 34 points (3 goals)
5/6

Ford I just read your deleted post and had a look at the link to an advertiser article you had in there.

I liked this part: "We're picking players who are in good form, not the players based on their reputations. That is only fair," added Williams with a theme many Power supporters might say should be translated to Power selection for the clash with the Eagles at Subiaco.

Funny stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article also goes on to say that Dom was a bit stiff as well.

I found it a bit odd that Lade wasn't picked but with so many opposition players in there Im hoping that Choco is trying to coherse a couple to come to the Power in the not too distant future.

Lade has been a fantastic player for us and one of the most consistent. In some of our crappiest games over our history, he has been one of our best. Many times. I hope to see the team play as a team and win for the big guy this week.

If I was he, and the side put the sort of (lack of) effort demonstrated lately in this game, I'd feel like giving the whole thing away.

Well done Ladey. 2 broken legs and all. I loved this bloke from year 1, when he would take a grab and kick straight.

The best complement I can make is to copy the words from Champion Data.

A couple of paragraphs from the analysis of the Port game plan. From the 2008 AFL Prospectus.

Since entering the competition in 1997, Port Adelaide have won five more H&A games [and 2 in total] than any other team. And a lot of this success has depended on the big fella, Brendon Lade.

How so? Good architecture!

........ It's the stoppages stupid.

Since entering the competition there is no better team at taking advantage of a slick clearance get away going bang, bang, goal than Port. And who is the master at consistently setting up teammates with a palm to t.it? Mr Lade! It happens too often to call it an accident.

Several feature articles on Lade in today's tiser by M Rucci. Good read. Here's the main one. Broken legs, grand final dramas, coaching aspirations. Days of our Lades.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,23558506-5016212,00.html

Bad breaks had good result

MICHELANGELO RUCCI,
CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER | April 18, 2008 12:30am

BRENDON LADE is not a story of missed opportunity, nor of the glass being half-full. "Every negative has its positive," says the Port Adelaide premiership ruckman.

The negatives (unquestionably plural) are the freakish breaks of his lower right leg, first in March 2000 and then repeated in eerily similar circumstances 50 weeks later. They have left a metal rod in Lade's leg and cost the 31-year-old at least 44 AFL games.

"But there was a positive for me," adds Lade, whose loss of two seasons as a player was not wasted. He gained an insight into Australian football that will serve for a lifetime, as will be evidenced when Lade stops playing.

Lade's acknowledgement as one of the game's best ruckmen - an All-Australian in the past two seasons and the Power's best-and-fairest in 2006 - is matched by a reputation of being, as they say, "football smart". In essence, a coach waiting for his time.

"I attribute all that to sitting in the box (through 2000-01)," says Lade, who on Sunday - at Subiaco against West Coast - reaches his 200th AFL game when, by a less dramatic twist of destiny, it could have been his 250th milestone.

"Learning from 'Choco' (coach Mark Williams) from what he says on match day, how passionate he is to (former Power midfield coach) Phil Walsh, who has the greatest football mind, stats and play wise and move wise. To pick their brains . . .

"And then there was (former Power defence coach and now Melbourne coach) Dean Bailey. We're pretty similar. We like a good joke and a bit of fun. Football needs both sides - the seriousness and some fun as well.

"From those three, I learned as much as I could in those two years. It was just invaluable to my life and my football.

"Sitting in a lot of the meetings, as well, changed my views on the game. I questioned people about football - my team-mates, my coaches. It sky rocketed my knowledge of the game."

And Lade's eagerness to progress as one of the game's sharpest students, a process which will manifest further this year when he - and team-mate Kane Cornes - will seek their Level 2 coaching certificates.

There is an inevitable path unfolding for the Kangaroo Island cabinet-maker who still imagines a post-football life in partnership with his brother, a builder. But those two years in the Port coaching box - the positive from those awful breaks to his right leg - present a new opportunity even Lade knows he cannot miss.

Williams wants Lade, after retiring as a player, to stay at Alberton. Others will want Lade at their clubs. He will be a man for building AFL teams, not kitchens.

"If you're going to coach, you need to do it straight away," concedes Lade. "You can't be four or five years out and come back. You coach straight away or you lag behind the game and fall behind so much it is not funny.

"It would be great to stay at this club, whether there is a spot here I'll have to wait and see. If not, I have some good friends in Melbourne. Alastair Clarkson (who as Hawthorn coach has formed a staff with many former Power men) and Bailey would be more than happy to have me."

In the storyline of Lade's opportunities - missed, realised and emerging - none is more dramatic than the events between Port's dramatic win against St Kilda in the 2004 preliminary final and ending Brisbane's three-premiership dominance in the 2004 AFL grand final.

And yet, as dramatic and enthralling as the episode was, Lade's grand final week has not been fully recorded. It is the ultimate tale of a man tired of missing opportunities.

"I came off with a sore back after the game of the preliminary final," says Lade. The soreness, tracked later by Walsh reviewing the video of the match against the Saints, was from a blow Lade took to his back during a contest in the centre of AAMI Stadium midway through the second term.

"I didn't train on the Monday. The (team) doctor and the physiotherapist thought it was fine," says Lade. "On Wednesday I went out to training and 15 minutes into the session I went to pick a ball up and I couldn't come back up basically.

"I went in and they (the Power medicos) sent me straight off for ultrasounds. I had an injection in the lower back. Thankfully, the ultrasound found the spot and the cortisone settled it down.

"I trained Friday (on the MCG) with massive tape around my back. I could hardly bend over. I did a lot of competitive work - and I felt fine and was fine.

"Saturday, I was taped again and I could hardly bend over.

"A couple days of later, I had X-rays and they found a stress fracture in my back. For the next three months I couldn't walk, I couldn't bend over, I couldn't sit.

"There was short-term gain from the injection - and I had some long-term pain. (But) I have not missed a game since."

From every bad turn, Lade finds some good.

Fantastic achievement Brendan Lade. He's strongly entrenched in my group of very favourite Port players. I can't say anything good about him that isn't blindingly obvious to all. Apart from everything else one silly thing I like is that sort of slouching, loping, big man walk he's got.

With regard to Lade's back problems in the leadup to the 2004 Granny I'm sure I read somewhere that his wife was in Chocco's office during the week pleading his case to be selected.

BTW even taking into account his injury problems he should have been well past 200 by now. How Barnaby French was picked ahead of him for a while there is a mystery to me.

Anyway well done Laser, have a cracking game and get to sing the song at the end of it. Come on boys you owe it to him. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back