Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what an average membership would cost for a Tassie team because the AFL as made it clear we would need 50000 members to be granted a licence.I think this would be exceptionally hard for Tasmania if the prices are high because you just wouldn't have enough Tasmanians that could pay big money every season.

Can anyone tell me what an average membership would cost for a Tassie team because the AFL as made it clear we would need 50000 members to be granted a licence.I think this would be exceptionally hard for Tasmania if the prices are high because you just wouldn't have enough Tasmanians that could pay big money every season.
The AFL considers anyone who pays $50 or more to be a member. 50,000 * $50 = $2.5m in membership revenue. I think that's the point the AFL is trying to make.

The Carlton vs Fremantle will not be played in Tasmania this week so Tasmanian fans have to wait for the following weekend when Hawks take on Fremantle.

Given it will still be less than 14 days since Freo left WA come next weekend I can't see how the Tassie government can let that game go ahead either.

Given it will still be less than 14 days since Freo left WA come next weekend I can't see how the Tassie government can let that game go ahead either.
So you are saying Launceston won't be hosting any more AFL this season?

I noticed last year the AFL presidents voted a Tas team down,I hope later this year when they have the final vote that we will be able to change some of their minds otherwise we have little hope.

Is there any statistics for how many Tasmanians live in Melbourne? And they undoubtedly have greater purchasing power than the mainlanders. I'm surprised that monetising them doesn't get talked about nearly enough. Of course it's hard to do that given they're away games, but it might make financial sense for the Tasmania team to "rent" the otherwise home team unused corporate facilities of an away game in Melbourne, then sell corporate/coterie/player sponsor memberships to these games in Melbourne for significantly more. Clearly a $1000 corporate membership adds a hell of a lot more than a $150 Launceston/Hobart only 5/6 game membership, it's just hard work to negotiate a way to have a package for away games and then sell that to the expat Tasmanians.

A mate of mine in Melbourne heard the AFL chief executive recently say in the media that they expect all teams to be safe in the AFL for the short term. This means the AFL believes that all current teams may not be their in the medium term and this will probably be when tasmania has its chance to prove its self,very interesting times ahead.

A mate of mine in Melbourne heard the AFL chief executive recently say in the media that they expect all teams to be safe in the AFL for the short term. This means the AFL believes that all current teams may not be their in the medium term and this will probably be when tasmania has its chance to prove its self,very interesting times ahead.
1625321303312.png

Its tough starting a team from scratch.

Look at the following 8 expansion teams.
1. South Melbourne relocated to Sydney. Not taking from scratch
2. West Coast had a whole state to pick players from
3. Brisbane Bears struggled until they merged with Fitzroy
4. Adelaide had a whole state to pick from and have done well
5. Fremantle struggles and East and South Fremantle are waring tribes
6. Port has done well but they were an already established club.
7. Gold Coast has been a basket case
8. Giants hasn't lived up to expectations

A Tasmania doesn't have the player resources as West Coast or Adelaide, they have a south north war going on, and recruiting of players is going to be difficult.

I really don't see how would survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its tough starting a team from scratch.

Look at the following 8 expansion teams.
1. South Melbourne relocated to Sydney. Not taking from scratch
2. West Coast had a whole state to pick players from
3. Brisbane Bears struggled until they merged with Fitzroy
4. Adelaide had a whole state to pick from and have done well
5. Fremantle struggles and East and South Fremantle are waring tribes
6. Port has done well but they were an already established club.
7. Gold Coast has been a basket case
8. Giants hasn't lived up to expectations

A Tasmania doesn't have the player resources as West Coast or Adelaide, they have a south north war going on, and recruiting of players is going to be difficult.

I really don't see how would survive.

And yet the AFL is bigger and stronger than ever.

Almost like prophets of relentless negativity and conservatism that have nagged throughout the eras have been wrong.

And yet the AFL is bigger and stronger than ever.

Almost like prophets of relentless negativity and conservatism that have nagged throughout the eras have been wrong.
How?

Setting up a team is actually harder now than in the late 80’s and 90’s.

Where is a Tasmanian get players from?

The new team will be getting poached even more than GWS and Gold Coast.

Setting up a team is actually harder now than in the late 80’s and 90’s.

Where is a Tasmanian get players from?

They'll probably get players in the same way GC and GWS did. Through several drafts and luring experienced players with concessions.

The new team will be getting poached even more than GWS and Gold Coast.

Yeah sure, if you say so.

Also, why quote me when you didn't bother to address what was written?

Your blind negativity is just drivel.

They'll probably get players in the same way GC and GWS did. Through several drafts and luring experienced players with concessions.

Yeah sure, if you say so.

Also, why quote me when you didn't bother to address what was written?

Your blind negativity is just drivel.
wot?

I said that I was negative about a Tasmania.

Sure that's true.

My responds is that setting up a club scratch has been hasn't been done well unless you had a pre AFL WAFL or SANFL.

It's in contest but sounds like you want to win the argument.

All good has a great day.

You think the Bears was a success?

Well on the way to being successful. 8th in 1995 (crowd average 10,305), 3rd in 1996 (crowd average 18,088). Would have most likely have made finals in 1997 and beyond. They already had future premiership players, Voss, Lappin, Akermanis, Hart, Ashcroft, Lynch, Leppitsch, Chris Scott, White, Bradshaw and Keating in their side all of whom were yet to reach their prime.

Well, let's assume that happens.
The AFL can respond with: fair play, the dollars you save here can be used for a future AFL team - which might get introduced in 25 years time.
While that's happening, there's no AFL footy played on the Apple Isle for the next 25 years.
Does it actually hurt the AFL?
Hawthorn will drop the revenue related to Tassie, but will increase its overall attendances, and in all honesty, Hawthorn is now big enough and ugly enough to look after itself.
North will take a bit of a hit, but not sure if it's making a huge amount out of Tassie in net terms.
I guess Tasmanians can follow a new soccer team when the new NSD is up and running.
That'll show the AFL.

Oh well, we just want an answer, so we can have something to excited about.
Right now our athletes are in limbo with Aussie Rules, they go to cricket, soccer, hockey or basketball.
If the report says "ok, no AFL team for Tasmania", I can buy myself an expensive Jacks membership and enjoy the Basketball instead.
Tassie just wants to know if we are entering the league or not.

Give them NGA to any Tassie kids who go to Melbourne for tuition/school
Re: this one, I believe a lot of the time (N. Reiwoldt, Lachie Weller etc.) players move to states with better pathways to the AFL, in their cases they've moved to a traditionally non-AFL state, which is sad.

Brisbane lions vs St Kilda could be played in Tasmania,I'm not sure if it will be in Hobart or Launceston though.

Oh well, we just want an answer, so we can have something to excited about.
Right now our athletes are in limbo with Aussie Rules, they go to cricket, soccer, hockey or basketball.
If the report says "ok, no AFL team for Tasmania", I can buy myself an expensive Jacks membership and enjoy the Basketball instead.
Tassie just wants to know if we are entering the league or not.

You would pay big money to watch a 4th rate tinpot basketball competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back