News Conor McKenna tests positive for COVID-19 - Wait, what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the antibody test more reliable? I mean, is it possible he's had it at some stage, and the nasal test picked up some remnants? If there was just one "positive" test in there, you'd write it off as an error, but with 2 (even though one was irregular), there has to be something more to it, surely?

Is the antibody test more reliable? I mean, is it possible he's had it at some stage, and the nasal test picked up some remnants? If there was just one "positive" test in there, you'd write it off as an error, but with 2 (even though one was irregular), there has to be something more to it, surely?
agree, 14 days quarantine no matter what from here, two irregulars is more than enough evidence for extreme caution. We know relatively little about this virus and how effective we are at testing for it.

agree, 14 days quarantine no matter what from here, two irregulars is more than enough evidence for extreme caution. We know relatively little about this virus and how effective we are at testing for it.

By that logic no testing is accurate and nothing should be allowed to happen ?!

SARS and MERS had higher death rates and died out before they spread widely - specifically to places like the US and Europe.
But they had one for SARS anyway
The knowledge gained from that no doubt helps the scientific community now.
Iirc the one for sars has only been tested on horses and there was significant damage done as a result of exposing the animal to sars despite the vaccine.

By that logic no testing is accurate and nothing should be allowed to happen ?!
I mean we should err on the side of caution as soon as there is any irregularity. I don't know what is the consensus on sensitivity and specificity of current COVID tests but certainly a few months is a very short time to establish benchmarks.

Anyway, main issue here is that the AFL is pushing the edge instead of taking the cautious approach.

Reckless imo, they are risking the season to ensure one match goes ahead next week. They get so much money from betting agencies, but they can't see a bad bet right in front of their face?!

I mean we should err on the side of caution as soon as there is any irregularity. I don't know what is the consensus on sensitivity and specificity of current COVID tests but certainly a few months is a very short time to establish benchmarks.

Anyway, main issue here is that the AFL is pushing the edge instead of taking the cautious approach.

Reckless imo, they are risking the season to ensure one match goes ahead next week. They get so much money from betting agencies, but they can't see a bad bet right in front of their face?!
Its quite phenomenal

its like that double your bets each time you lose system on roulette..... doesnt take into account table limits...

There is a joker in the pack now
2e716e59f5f7ce087620929041ccf32f.jpg

I read the irregular testing may be news indication he is/just about COVID free. But why didn’t all the previous tests return a positive? Something is crook in Tobruk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have also had the same thought as this. Might have go at it in Ireland and just a few remnants left. If so, an antibody test would be better.

Not sure I understand the confusion atm. Just watched a bit of AFL 360 and all I saw was discussion on whether McKenna never had the disease or has somehow miraculously recovered in 2 days.

Do these guys consult experts at all? Not a single mention of the notoriously high false negative rates that the RT-PCR tests have (up to 25% in some cases depending on timing. ) There's plenty of medical evidence for this already - whereas false positives are much rarer due to the high specificity of the test.

At this stage it seems the most likely scenario by far is that he has contracted covid 19 and today's test result is a false negative. Or am I missing something here? Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the confusion atm. Just watched a bit of AFL 360 and all I saw was discussion on whether McKenna never had the disease or has somehow miraculously recovered in 2 days.

Do these guys consult experts at all? Not a single mention of the notoriously high false negative rates that the RT-PCR tests have (up to 25% in some cases depending on timing. ) There's plenty of medical evidence for this already - whereas false positives are much rarer due to the high specificity of the test.

At this stage it seems the most likely scenario by far is that he has contracted covid 19 and today's test result is a false negative. Or am I missing something here? Time will tell I guess.
I think that Robbo is generally considered the resident expert on everything and if things get really tricky they give Derm a call.

We have 800 players being tested twice a week or more...

That's 10,000 tests in the last 5 weeks.

Bound to get a false positive.

Still 0.01% false tests.

McKenna was the first 'irregularity' wasn't he? or have they occurred before but resulted in negative follow ups?

The first irregularity followed directly by a false positive seems less likely again. As others have said time, and many nasal swabs, will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back