Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling even this early in the season that the Tigers are pretenders this year.

I get losing Rance is horrible for him and their backline came back to a semblance of order with Grimes back last week. It will get better wuth Houli back as well.

Teams have to deal with bad things though. I don't think they've dealt with their problems well.

It just looks to me that their game plan hasn't evolved and even if they get back to their peak of all over the pressure and quick ball movement it wont be good enough to go deep in September this year.

Lynch did look good last week but he's no Riewoldt and they will improve with him back. Dusty's form is troubling though and seems ongoing.

I get the feeling even this early in the season that the Tigers are pretenders this year.

I get losing Rance is horrible for him and their backline came back to a semblance of order with Grimes back last week. It will get better wuth Houli back as well.

Teams have to deal with bad things though. I don't think they've dealt with their problems well.

It just looks to me that their game plan hasn't evolved and even if they get back to their peak of all over the pressure and quick ball movement it wont be good enough to go deep in September this year.

Lynch did look good last week but he's no Riewoldt and they will improve with him back. Dusty's form is troubling though and seems ongoing.

I'm glad you get that feeling..!

By adding Stack who will be the steal of the draft if he is not already, Ross who is that hard nosed midfielder we have been missing who plays a lot like Selwood, and Bolton who is all class, we have replaced players who have been seriously under performing this season and have no great upside. Balta is a huge bonus as a second ruck (compared to Grigg) and an amazing athlete who has held his own in the ruck, and is only 19.
We were the second youngest side in the comp last week, Ross played his 1st game, Stack his 2nd, Balta his 3rd, Baker his 4th and Bolton his 10th.

Of course we miss Rance, but Grimes was BOG on against Port and played Rance's roll very well. The backline will take time to adjust naturally. Add Cotchin, Riewoldt, Houli and Martin and we will be a far better side in the coming weeks that we were in the first few. Any side making the 8 can win it.

Last edited:

By adding Stack who will be the steal of the draft if he is not already, Ross who is that hard nosed midfielder we have been missing who plays a lot like Selwood, and Bolton who is all class, we have replaced players who have been seriously under performing this season and have no great upside. Balta is a huge bonus as a second ruck (compared to Grigg) and an amazing athlete who has held his own in the ruck, and is only 19.
We were the second youngest side in the comp last week, Ross played his 1st game, Stack his 2nd, Balta his 3rd, Baker his 4th and Bolton his 10th.

Of course we miss Rance, but Grimes was BOG on against Port and played Rance's roll very well. The backline will take time to adjust naturally. Add Cotchin, Riewoldt, Houli and Martin and we will be a far better side in the coming weeks that we were in the first few. Any side making the 8 can win it.
... and we won away, well blow me down.

I haven't written off Richmond but Port are a very young side with tons of kids playing games themselves. We don't yet know that Stack, Ross, Balta, Baker etc will stand up against tougher opposition. It was a great win from a missing personnel point of view but its too soon to read anything more into it. It may be that in 6 weeks time that the win says more about Port than it does about Richmond.

We know GWS can’t win in Melbourne so put a line through them. Richmond or West Coast will win the flag.

I haven't written off Richmond but Port are a very young side with tons of kids playing games themselves. We don't yet know that Stack, Ross, Balta, Baker etc will stand up against tougher opposition. It was a great win from a missing personnel point of view but its too soon to read anything more into it. It may be that in 6 weeks time that the win says more about Port than it does about Richmond.
Yes Port were young, and yes the above players will not always handle the heat, but like Port's young players, they all look like long term players. Add Bolton to that lot as well. This is something we haven't had for a while, and for a side that is supposedly so reliant on our big 4, will drastically improve our bottom 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are middle aged, not very young. They have 8 sub 50 gamers but also 7 150+ gamers to balance it out.

Port Adelaide----Attribute----Richmond
188.6cm----Height----185.0cm
86.5kg----Weight----84.4kg
25yr2mth----Age----23yr11mth
102.9----Games----74.3

Port are middle aged, not very young. They have 8 sub 50 gamers but also 7 150+ gamers to balance it out.

Port Adelaide----Attribute----Richmond
188.6cm----Height----185.0cm
86.5kg----Weight----84.4kg
25yr2mth----Age----23yr11mth
102.9----Games----74.3
Shorter, lighter, younger, faster, better.

We know GWS can’t win in Melbourne so put a line through them. Richmond or West Coast will win the flag.

Richmond can't win interstate and it looks like they will have to go via Perth or Western Sydney to get to the MCG on grand final day.

Richmond can't win interstate and it looks like they will have to go via Perth or Western Sydney to get to the MCG on grand final day.
Literally just won interstate without our best players so nice try lol.

You have an amazing talent of knowing who will finish in what position after four rounds. You remind me of the Pie fans who knew after only two! Truly blessed talent you guys have. Please share more wisdom xo

Literally just won interstate without our best players so nice try lol.

You have an amazing talent of knowing who will finish in what position after four rounds. You remind me of the Pie fans who knew after only two! Truly blessed talent you guys have. Please share more wisdom xo
Against a team with 4?5? Players with 3 games experience

Against a team with 4?5? Players with 3 games experience
And? Heading into that game we had Stack, Balta, Baker and Ross who had played a combined six games. Then there’s Higgins who is a second year player and Bolton who has played just 9 games.

Not sure why West Coast fans are desperately trying to talk down our win. It’s a bit pathetic TBH. Must be a bit insecure over their flag win.

And? Heading into that game we had Stack, Balta, Baker and Ross who had played a combined six games. Then there’s Higgins who is a second year player and Bolton who has played just 9 games.

Not sure why West Coast fans are desperately trying to talk down our win. It’s a bit pathetic TBH. Must be a bit insecure over their flag win.
Probably because, like most good sides, beating Port in Adelaide isn't that big a deal for them

Back