Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably because, like most good sides, beating Port in Adelaide isn't that big a deal for them
You’re up and about after four rounds. May as well sneak some arrogance in nice and early because we all know your piss weak side will crumble in the finals.

You’re up and about after four rounds. May as well sneak some arrogance in nice and early because we all know your piss weak side will crumble in the finals.
Strange thing to say. Clearly we've got a gap to close with the Eagles at least. Just not the Tigers, deal with it..

Strange thing to say. Clearly we've got a gap to close with the Eagles at least. Just not the Tigers, deal with it..
No gap but I find your arrogance amusing. You’re making calls on the back of four rounds and completely disregarding the fact your club continuously turns to water against the big boys. Keep it up though. It will make it more hilarious watching your nothing club fall short again.

No gap but I find your arrogance amusing. You’re making calls on the back of four rounds and completely disregarding the fact your club continuously turns to water against the big boys. Keep it up though. It will make it more hilarious watching your nothing club fall short again.
I'd suggest the Tigers have a much longer history of turning to water under pressure, but you can delude yourself a bit longer this early in the season.

I'd suggest the Tigers have a much longer history of turning to water under pressure, but you can delude yourself a bit longer this early in the season.
I’d pay out on your club’s history but you have none. You’re a soulless plastic franchise with no supporters, history or culture.

“Nice melt” isn’t a get out of jail free card anymore, but I understand if you want to avoid discussing your atrocious club and it’s pointless existence.
Funny

The real problem is you think a big Melbourne club has a god given right to beat clubs like ours. When there's clear evidence you cant actually footy as well, it beings forward this irrational anger and abuse.

We get it. Perhaps in time you will..

Funny

The real problem is you think a big Melbourne club has a god given right to beat clubs like ours. When there's clear evidence you cant actually footy as well, it beings forward this irrational anger and abuse.

We get it. Perhaps in time you will..
Lmao. You’re working with f*** all here so well done for trying. But you’re finished. Reel it in.

Anyway...

I'm happy to be bookmarked and told I'm an idiot if I get a big call wrong - but I reckon Collingwood are the biggest pretenders this season. Don't get me wrong, they're a very well coached team with some excellent players.

But if we look at the first 4 rounds this season and the finals last season - that's 8 games, during which they've lost to the Eagles 3 times, Geelong once, and I seem to remember they weren't great when they beat an injury-riddled Giants in the finals last season (before, of course, they went on to look a million bucks in the first half the prelim and first quarter of the GF.)

They'll finish in the top 4 on the ladder this season - but they won't win the GF, because I don't think they can beat the best teams.

I guess to give that context, after 4 rounds I already think there are only 2 teams that I'd rate a "great" chance, being West Coast and Geelong, 1 "very good" chance being the Giants, and one dark horse in Hawthorn.

I wouldn't even call Richmond pretenders - I think Rance cost them too much to be really considered as a huge threat. Personally I think he's overrated by commentators, but you absolutely can't underrate his importance to Richmond. They got unlucky this season, albeit after a couple of pretty lucky seasons injury-wise.

Pies were good against Giants in the finals last season and if not for inaccurate kicking would have been out of sight by half time.

They lost the Grand Final by 5 points, and to the Cats by 7. Were in front in the first final against you guys with minutes to go, a goal after the siren made it 16 points.

To say they weren't far off is an understatement. You still make some valid points though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies were good against Giants in the finals last season and if not for inaccurate kicking would have been out of sight by half time.

They lost the Grand Final by 5 points, and to the Cats by 7. Were in front in the first final against you guys with minutes to go, a goal after the siren made it 16 points.

To say they weren't far off is an understatement. You still make some valid points though.
The reason the Pies kicked innacurately was because our back six kept us in the game by forcing them to shoot from bad places. It had nothing to do with bad luck.

I get the feeling even this early in the season that the Tigers are pretenders this year.

I get losing Rance is horrible for him and their backline came back to a semblance of order with Grimes back last week. It will get better wuth Houli back as well.

Teams have to deal with bad things though. I don't think they've dealt with their problems well.

It just looks to me that their game plan hasn't evolved and even if they get back to their peak of all over the pressure and quick ball movement it wont be good enough to go deep in September this year.

Lynch did look good last week but he's no Riewoldt and they will improve with him back. Dusty's form is troubling though and seems ongoing.

I for one am glad we’re not buying into the short chipping new style football. Many are imitating, however I don’t think anyone comes close to the eagles playing that style. Once our pressure cranks up, I’m confident we will beat most possession football sides, Im intrigued to see the clash of styles at the end of the year when the whips are cracking.
Bit harsh to say they havent dealt well with their problems. Actually disagree completely with this. It took us 2 weeks to find our feet with significant outs, thats not unreasonable and in fact, I'd go the other way and say its is a sign of a very well drilled and mature group that even with the outs we have, we were able to improve our structures week on week against the giants and again against port. I actually think we did a lot right against the giants, we just gave away a shedload of really dumb 12 point type turnaround goals from unforced errors - which wont happen again.

But each to their own - on form we're nowhere near the eagles and pies atm, but Im confident we're building into the seasons nicely. Exciting times for us

Anyway...

I'm happy to be bookmarked and told I'm an idiot if I get a big call wrong - but I reckon Collingwood are the biggest pretenders this season. Don't get me wrong, they're a very well coached team with some excellent players.

But if we look at the first 4 rounds this season and the finals last season - that's 8 games, during which they've lost to the Eagles 3 times, Geelong once, and I seem to remember they weren't great when they beat an injury-riddled Giants in the finals last season (before, of course, they went on to look a million bucks in the first half the prelim and first quarter of the GF.)

They'll finish in the top 4 on the ladder this season - but they won't win the GF, because I don't think they can beat the best teams.

I guess to give that context, after 4 rounds I already think there are only 2 teams that I'd rate a "great" chance, being West Coast and Geelong, 1 "very good" chance being the Giants, and one dark horse in Hawthorn.

I wouldn't even call Richmond pretenders - I think Rance cost them too much to be really considered as a huge threat. Personally I think he's overrated by commentators, but you absolutely can't underrate his importance to Richmond. They got unlucky this season, albeit after a couple of pretty lucky seasons injury-wise.
Crap take, based on the fact we should have beaten Geelong, smacked Richmond who were only missing Rance, lost to West Coast (the best team in the comp) - and we're 4 rounds in.

Good one, lol.

Study the meaning of the word "you" and the answer will be revealed.
Hehe going personal for the second time in a row after what I originally posited. Righto...you walked right into it. That's your queen taken off the board and I believe that is now check mate. Better luck next time soldier. I'll leave you to pack away the pieces.

Hehe going personal for the second time in a row after what I originally posited. Righto...you walked right into it. That's your queen taken off the board and I believe that is now check mate. Better luck next time soldier. I'll leave you to pack away the pieces.
Such an obvious thing I thought that you had to be deflecting, and you were.

Such an obvious thing I thought that you had to be deflecting, and you were.
Games over pal. Remember...the white pieces go in the white bag and the black pieces go in the black bag. Then you fold the board over and put it all neatly in the box. You can do it. Believe in yourself.

Games over pal. Remember...the white pieces go in the white bag and the black pieces go in the black bag. Then you fold the board over and put it all neatly in the box. You can do it. Believe in yourself.
Yeah

One day you might realise telling people you're wonderful isn't a great way to get people to perceive you as wonderful. Probably not though.

Back