Toast Contributions to success

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the bolded - when did we change the training surface? There was a lot of talk on here for several years about the surface being responsible for our plague of soft tissue injuries during Bucks’ era.

But it was never seriously blamed - surely? More likely training methods and loads were the cause? Changes and improvements came with the appointment of Wade. Bless him.
Hmmm, now I’m second guessing myself but I thought it was resurfaced end of 2021 season. Agree though, probably a much better approach to training!

Re the bolded - when did we change the training surface? There was a lot of talk on here for several years about the surface being responsible for our plague of soft tissue injuries during Bucks’ era.

But it was never seriously blamed - surely? More likely training methods and loads were the cause? Changes and improvements came with the appointment of Wade. Bless him.

Respectfully, I think you're missing an opportunity to blame buckley..

Take a leaf out of Fly’s book, glass half full kinda guy.
Doesn’t concern himself with the past, (other than honouring it).
Worked well for us so far and I reckon we as supporters should adopt the same attitude.
Bucks has run and is done, might be time to move on hey?
Yep in season, now that we’ve won. We have time to reflect and I think it’s right to acknowledge all that contributed.

I know people will think i'm joking but I honestly think that most of the gameplan and the technical movement of players during a game, is worked out mostly by Leppitsch Bolton etc. I think Macrae takes charge of attitudes and motivations etc.

I know people will think i'm joking but I honestly think that most of the gameplan and the technical movement of players during a game, is worked out mostly by Leppitsch Bolton etc. I think Macrae takes charge of attitudes and motivations etc.
Could be something in that.
I met a player that was coached by Bolton and he related he was very good tactically and one on one but had difficulty with groups.
Didn't like him though.

i'd also like to reveal here the fact that a family member and myself both bet $170 on brisbane. I think that had a major impact on us winning. I also put $10 each on cameron, andrews and mccluggage wiinning the norm smith. I think those bets certainly dampened the effectiveness of those three although the last bet wasnt too effective. I did the same in 2010...I put $50 on st. kilda and got my money back first week and went again. Having never won a thing in my life, I've been pretty confident that these bets have a significant effect on the Pie's luck.

Could be something in that.
I met a player that was coached by Bolton and he related he was very good tactically and one on one but had difficulty with groups.
Didn't like him though.

He is socially awkward. I think Leppitsch is also well known for his technical prowess. I'm convinced that I'm right. I've listened so much to Macrae and I dont think he has ever talked about the actual system. He always talks about his stair theory or all his other triggers. I'm not saying that he doesnt understand it but he seems to be fairly holistic about the system. Contrast that to buckley who is always talking specifics about player movement in a game.

Yesterday Macrae told the SEN guys that he hadnt watched the sydney game of last year.....think about that

One can still think about 'what if' Bucks didn't have that messy handover, a divided board, an outspoken President, revolving door football managers, a list that many were 'done', all the talk about racism etc instead of being all on the same page as is the situation right now.

I am more surprised that he stayed as coach with all those things against him succeeding.
One can also think about ‘what if’ we didn’t replace a premiership coach the playing group loved during the peak of of their prime with an inexperienced assistant coach they were luke warm on.

At the end of day the Buckley saga is over and the grass is much greener on the other side of it.

One can also think about ‘what if’ we didn’t replace a premiership coach the playing group loved during the peak of of their prime with an inexperienced assistant coach they were luke warm on.

At the end of day the Buckley saga is over and the grass is much greener on the other side of it.

I wonder if you'd say that if we had lost in the last minute like we did in 2018. I'm glad about the changes in the club but I dont delude myself that macrae is the person who started them. He was the right man at the right time. I can honestly say that it scares me more that graham wright is going to tasmania, than macrae leaving for another coaching position.

He got a pretty injury prone and weak list to within an umpires call of a premiership in 2018. We attacked pretty well that year…the players were constantly under the pump from external pressures. It wasn’t a happy place, this wasn’t because Buckley was nasty coach but because of the attention on the club at the time. They were besieged.

Again this isn’t about determining whether Buckley should have coached on or at all, it’s that he has an undeniably positive impact on the club and the playing list…if we had a weaker personality leading us through those challenging and somewhat dark times we may have lost all our talent and been a lot worse off. The players played for him to the end! Just look at the last game. He was selfless.
You're just creating a narrative of challenging and dark times, and hinting blame towards everyone else at the club at the time. Of course we're not where we are without all of them - it'd be different.

It was a decade where for most of it many supporters blamed us performing slightly above Freo on everything from the grass we trained on to the assistant coach Robert Harvey and the rest of the club's staff, except for the head coach

There is no what if, we won the grand final and this is not what the thread is about.

The what if is about if those things hadn't happened to Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if you'd say that if we had lost in the last minute like we did in 2018.
Would be a different story. We didn’t lose those though so let’s stick to the evens that actually happened.

I'm glad about the changes in the club but I dont delude myself that macrae is the person who started them.
Not sure anyone claims he did. The person who started them is the same person who sacked Buckley.

You're just creating a narrative of challenging and dark times, and hinting blame towards everyone else at the club at the time. Of course we're not where we are without all of them - it'd be different.

It was a decade where for most of it many supporters blamed us performing slightly above Freo on everything from the grass we trained on to the assistant coach Robert Harvey and the rest of the club's staff, except for the head coach

Like most things in life, things are complicated. Blaming buckley is about as true as not blaming him. I see certain things now that were definitely not evident when buckley was coaching. A competent general manager. A non-interfering president. The list goes on...

The other fact is that the difference between buckley's result in 2018 and macrae's result is about a goal. I'm happy buckley left and I can see his deficiencies but putting every mistake or mistep on his shoulders seems to ignore the facts.

Would be a different story. We didn’t lose those though so let’s stick to the evens that actually happened.

Not sure anyone claims he did. The person who started them is the same person who sacked Buckley.

So you think buckley was arrogant and thought he knew all the answers?

Like most things in life, things are complicated. Blaming buckley is about as true as not blaming him. I see certain things now that were definitely not evident when buckley was coaching. A competent general manager. A non-interfering president. The list goes on...

The other fact is that the difference between buckley's result in 2018 and macrae's result is about a goal. I'm happy buckley left and I can see his deficiencies but putting every mistake or mistep on his shoulders seems to ignore the facts.
It’s true Fly is sounded by more competent higher ups but if we had more competent high ups when Buckley was coaching, Buckley wouldn’t have been the coach.

You had me until the last phrase. We don't know what the facts are. It's a lot of innuendo and guesses about the previous coach, the grass, the assistant coaches, the list manager, the footy department head, the list manager, the president and of course the head coach. For the first half of Bucks's coaching gig - we just looked everywhere else other than the all time great player of the club who was head coach. s**t happens. It might have been a combination of all that turned a really strong position into a mediocre decade. But we're back at the top, so not worth trawling through the past to point the finger of blame at what our biased views have decided is the reason for that mediocrity. Also not worth selectively choosing which ones to praise. Just thank them all for their hard work and effort and try to stay at the top.

I was asking your opinion as you seem to know all the answers and I was wondering if you had found a kindred soul in buckley...

btw is bianco going to be on the list next year?
If you were asking for my opinion you would have phrased your question differently. You simply stated your own and added a question mark.

That wouldn't surprise me. I think the ability to delegate and recognise strengths in others is one of flys best attributes. He does not lead with ego. He is more your manager style. I doubt many coaches would give their assistance as much input and trust as much as fly does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back