Jack 17

Senior List
Oct 22, 2003
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Despite the trail seemingly going cold Copeland is still very much likely to end up at Tigerland according to my source.

Originally posted by Jack 17
Despite the trail seemingly going cold Copeland is still very much likely to end up at Tigerland according to my source.

IF (and that is a very big IF) he does, I hope you at the least have a major plan in place to try an placate his wife of 2 weeks, who has said in no uncertain terms that they are NOT to leave QLD.

Signing him would look like childs play compared to convincing her it is the right thing to do! Good Luck!!

BTW - the reported Tigers offer of $100K above what he is getting at the Lions...........as supporters can you really accept and/or justify that? For one player, double premiership - first elevated of the rookie list, 2nd, 2 years later when he had to work his way back in (missed out on the one in 2002), and is not a big name, or a big prospective talent, just a hard and honest worker on the field - and another 100, 000 DOLLARS!!!! Is this standard Richmond practice, or just going after the 'premiership player' name tag?

Seems bloody ludicrous to me!

Originally posted by Danni
BTW - the reported Tigers offer of $100K above what he is getting at the Lions...........as supporters can you really accept and/or justify that? For one player, double premiership - first elevated of the rookie list, 2nd, 2 years later when he had to work his way back in (missed out on the one in 2002), and is not a big name, or a big prospective talent, just a hard and honest worker on the field - and another 100, 000 DOLLARS!!!! Is this standard Richmond practice, or just going after the 'premiership player' name tag?

compared to what we payed for some players in recent history copeland is a steal at that price:D
all jokes aside i wouldnt be to fussed if he performs to what we are paying him.the big question is can he perform away from a star studdded side like brisbane.

cheers!

All jokes aside. Copeland is a damn fine player.Hard at the ball,long penetrating kick, runs all day, can tackle like a league player.He would be an asset to any teams midfield.

If Brisbane lose him, I will be mightely annoyed at the club. I can't imagine him taking the tinny out on the Yarra midweek for a break.

Originally posted by Danni

Seems to me that someone needs a tissue! ;)

F*ck off will you, the lions have finished 1st 3 years in a row & Copeland was part of that success in two of those years.

Are you trying to tell us that Copeland isn't much of a talent? Hmmm, seems to me that the only ludicrous thing around here is you... talking down a player that has made your teams best 22 twice in premiership years. Go and have a cry... you're can't hold onto the team forever!

Come here Robbie... we'll give you and your wife a helicopter ride with big Clinton as well. :D

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,7861211%5E19742,00.html

Lion Copeland may change his stripes
14 November 2003 Herald Sun
From AAP

THE Brisbane Lions could lose utility Robert Copeland, one of its few Queensland-born and bred players.

Richmond has offered the dual premiership player considerably more than he is receiving.

The Lions still hope to re-sign the recently married Copeland, who once described himself as a Queensland ambassador for football, to a three-year contract.

Brisbane chief executive Michael Bowers said the Lions were desperate to keep their team together and placed particular importance on retaining Queenslanders.

"Any Queensland-born players we'll fight to keep on our list for obvious reasons," he said.

Copeland, 22, was promoted from the rookie list in 2001 and played in that year's premiership team.

Last year he missed the Grand Final against Collingwood but this year he blanketed Magpie captain Nathan Buckley in the big one.

If we can fit him under the salary cap, and if he and his wife want to move, then I'd go for it. We need to improve the quality of our players ranked 15 to 22, and he would do that. He's a reasonable height (186cm) and he goes in hard - the sort of quality we need.

well MY wife...

for an extra $100 K a year, my wife would dress us all in red, white and blue and move to Baghdad.

I don't think the little lady will be a problem after she visits Collins Street.

Get Copeland in the PSD.
Good question somewhere else: is Morrison worth pick 21 ?
Rather get a young ruckman ...hope he's available at 53.

Re: well MY wife...

Originally posted by Rodan#18.
for an extra $100 K a year, my wife would dress us all in red, white and blue and move to Baghdad.

Baghdad could be safe in comparison...as far as i know they dont eat there own.

Copeland poised to quit Lions
By Stephen Rielly
November 19, 2003
The Age

Richmond's feverish assault on the recruiting market appeared to garner more success yesterday when Robert Copeland indicated that he intended to leave the Brisbane Lions and nominate for the pre-season draft.

Against the appeal of Brisbane's extraordinary triple premiership success, next year's tilt at history and the comforts of living in his home state, Copeland has nominally accepted a three-year Richmond offer to bring his 53-game career to Melbourne.

When the Lions assemble in Coorparoo today, to begin their 2004 campaign, the dual premiership wingman will not be there. For one, he is not due to return from a fishing trip until Friday, but more significantly, he told his manager, Ron Joseph, yesterday morning that he was "likely" to nominate for the pre-season draft.

"At this point, he's heading for the pre-season draft," Joseph said. "It's not over the line and I've spoken again with Brisbane today, but over the last 24 hours, he's probably moved in that direction. When I spoke to him this morning, that was his advice."

Brisbane was still to receive official confirmation of Copeland's decision last night, but coach Leigh Matthews said "the dogs are barking it".

"We haven't been told that he is leaving, but we've made Robbie the best offer we can in our system and clearly he's going to get more than that. I think the dollar signs are in the eyes," Matthews said.

It is understood that the Lions were offering a two-year deal to the 22-year-old, who emerged from the club's rookie list in 2001 to play in the premiership of that year and enjoy more flag success this year.

His arrival as a player three years ago was an extraordinary story of persistence and reward. He played 17 games in 2001 for 16 wins and a premiership, but did so after having been passed over in the draft system twice and completing a torrid summer campaign just to get a chance to train with the club and play in the reserves.

The simple act of nominating for the pre-season draft, though, will not guarantee that Copeland and Richmond will be united in the draft of December 16. His path to the Tigers isn't obstacle-free, with Melbourne holding third selection in the draft, one choice before Richmond.

Last night, the Demons were not discounting the possibility of selecting Copeland.

"We'll wait to survey the entire landscape before ruling anyone in or out," Melbourne football manager Danny Corcoran said.

The first two selections belong to the Western Bulldogs and Carlton, who intend to recruit Jade Rawlings and Nick Stevens, respectively.

The Tigers, who have been wooing Copeland for more than a month, brought him and his wife Felicity to Melbourne late last week.

The pair were married several weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees plan trap to get Copeland
19 November 2003 Herald Sun
Darren Cartwright

MELBOURNE is prepared to upset the best-laid plans of Brisbane Lions dual premiership tagger Robert Copeland and deny him free passage to Richmond by snaring him in the pre-season draft.

Copeland's manager Ron Joseph said it was highly likely his 22-year-old client would nominate for the pre-season draft, with Richmond his preferred destination.

"I would say he is heading to the pre-season draft, although it's not locked away," Joseph said.

"However, the Tigers do not have the first live pick in the pre-season draft."

But what Copeland wants and what he gets may be two different things, with Melbourne keen on the 52-gamer.

With Jade Rawlings (Hawthorn) heading to the Western Bulldogs and Nick Stevens (Port Adelaide) most likely to be aligned with Carlton early next week, Melbourne will have the first live pick on December 16.

Demons football manager Danny Corcoran said they would have no hesitation in claiming Copeland, the only uncontracted player on the Lions' list.

"We are in discussions with Ron Joseph," Corcoran said.

"We've said all along we have several options for the pre-season, but we will take the best player available when we have our pick."

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers was hopeful Copeland, who has only recently married and built a house at Redcliffe, would remain at the club.

While he has played 52 matches since making his debut in 2001 and has been promised time in the Tigers' midfield, he has played mainly defensive roles at Brisbane.

He has collected no more than 16 possessions in any game and is recognised more for his discipline and tagging skills than ball gathering.

As an uncontracted player, Copeland must nominate for the pre-season draft by December 2. He can do so as early as Sunday after Saturday's national draft.

Delisted Lion Shane Morrison has until 2pm today to nominate for the national draft.

If overlooked, he can still be recruited in the pre-season draft.

Morrison, 22, played five games in two seasons at the Lions and attracted the interest of Sydney and Richmond during trade week.

He asked to be delisted to allow him to find a new home.

The Brisbane Lions begin their quest for a historic fourth consecutive premiership today when pre-season training for next season starts.

A club spokesman said several key Brisbane players would not make an appearance at the voluntary session because of long service, injury or representative duties.

The first compulsory session will take place on December 8.

Would they be interested in Razor if we let him go, in order to get Copeland?

It's still going to be tough for Melbourne to get him. If Shane Harvey can get through to pick 9 or so, and Hall can get through to pick 13... then surely Copeland has better chances than these two.

I'd love Bushy at the tigers... he's just got soooo much c8nt in him!

Story in today's AGE sounds promising on Copeland, with him supposedly agreeing to a 3 year deal, but Melbourne stand in the way of a done deal.
Think he would be great and add some bite to the team.

Originally posted by tiger of old
morrison or copeland welcome to tigerland.

cheers!

The Pessimist in me says we won't get either ot them.

Reckon Richmond are shaking the apple tree, but other clubs will be the ones catching the apples.

We won't be able to pick up both Copeland and Morrison in the PSD. Our best chance is Copeland in PSD and Morrison in National Draft, but even this looks slim. Dees will swoop on Morrison in PSD and a few other clubs will look at picking up Morrison in the National Draft before Richmond (pick 53) gets a chance.

If they both nominate for the PSD then obviously we will definitely get one of them, likely Morrison.

Ray Hall staying, and as a copnsequence not going into the PSD, may have reduced our chances of picking up Copeland.

So who do you want fellas, Copeland or Morrison.

FWIW I'd prefer Morrison as we need some more height on our list and he looks to be the most promising of the recycled Talls. Copeland would be handy but at the end of the day his type are a dime a dozen and we're offering a lot more than a dime.......200K plus.:confused:

Originally posted by tiger of old
i agree one-eyed im leaning towards morrison due to the height factor and will be cheaper.
i.mentioned in another post weather copeland can cope without the likes of voss and co.

cheers!

Tend to agree with both of you. However, Copeland may be a dime-a-dozen player, but at least he's making the side.

Gaining them both is going to be impossible. Thin ND means that Morrison wont be there at 53, and we cant pick them both up in the PSD.

Totally agree with TOO, it seems every other club is riding off the coat tales of Miller... although what we do have to understand is at least we're going to get one of them!

Dees add fuel to draft intrigue

By Stephen Rielly
realfooty.theage.com.au
November 20, 2003

Melbourne revealed that it may not be a participant in the pre-season December 16 draft, contrary to all that the club has said since its terrible season closed almost three months ago.

The Demons are expected to decide within the next 24 hours whether they will use their fourth and final pick - selection 52 - in Saturday's national draft.

If they do so, the senior list will be complete and the club will not be able to participate in December unless it delists and pays out a currently listed player.

Yesterday, though, Melbourne football manager Danny Corcoran not only denied the Demons had committed to Read but also announced that the club might fill its list on Saturday.

"We have been impressed by Phil but we haven't given him a guarantee of any description. And we certainly haven't told him not to nominate," he said.

"In fact, if we use our fourth pick on Saturday, we'll be out anyway. It's something the club is giving serious thought to."

Should the Demons choose not to take a selection into December, Copeland will be untroubled to become a Richmond player, as the Tigers hold selection four. It is understood they have also spoken with Read's management.

Brisbane has all but given up on Copeland, who was not at the premiers' first pre-season training session last night. "I must admit I would have been surprised if he'd been here tonight, given the circumstances," coach Leigh Matthews said. "I don't think you turn up unless you're going to re-commit yourself."

----------------------------

Not sure why we would talk to Read's managment after delisting dragga. Both have done their knee twice. In any case in 24 hours we may know if Copeland is a cert to be at Tigerland in 2004. Use your 4th pick Dees (but not on Morrison) ;)..

From the Optus sport site
Lions would miss Copeland: Hart
2:05 PM November 20

Veteran Brisbane Lions AFL premiership player Shaun Hart says defender Robert Copeland will be missed if he quits the club ahead of next season.

Copeland is the only player from this year's premiership team yet to re-sign, and was a noticeable absentee from the club's first pre-season training session yesterday.

The 22-year-old has been linked with Richmond and is expected to nominate for the pre-season draft.

Hart says Copeland is a valuable member of the team.

"What he gives to our side in terms of discipline, and his example to other players, his fitness levels are crucial to good teams," he said.

"So I don't think the club can afford to lose him looking into the future, but unfortunately the salary cap says you either keep players on a certain level or they go elsewhere."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back