Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the vaccine is for an mRNA virus, the technology used for this particular vaccine is different to other vaccines on the market, and dare I say that is why there is a group of people who have been vaccinated previously but are hesitant to take this particular type of vaccine.

Given the differences in the make-up of this vaccine in particular, to look at the history of past vaccines in terms of reducing transmission and extrapolate that to this covid vaccine for a type of virus (mRNA) that is thr first of its kind, that in essence is a very apples to oranges comparison imo.

If we were to however analyse other attempts at mRNA vaccines over the last 40 years or so, you'll notice that none of them got off the ground because of significant reactions to the animals being used in the trials.

To assume either way at this point would be to picking a side so to speak based on belief rather than actuality.
You are speaking too logically for most here, you will be banished for your views

Prohibition doesn't work. That's been established. Smoking is on the decline, what needs to be done is alcohol treated the same way. Not glorified in Australian culture if you get pissed. Bump the prices up, along with penalties for trying to sell unlicensed booze.

As noted alcohol is a major contributor to domestic violence (also violence at venues etc.). It doesn't turn 'nice guys/girls' into arseholes, but it takes the inhibitions off them to act out for much less cause. This is not to give any offenders an excuse for it, it's abhorrent, but if alcohol consumption was reduced significantly domestic violence (and sexual assaults) would drop significantly.

Forced exercise wouldn't work (not to mention the Rights trampled on there), but penalties for the effects (obesity) would work well enough. Good luck finding a politician in Australia with the guts to say they'd slap a medicare surcharge of 1 - 2% on anyone over 25% body fat for men, 30% for women, given the numbers overweight it'd be electoral suicide (and they'd be penalising half their own mates, whichever party you're talking about).
It’s more the point of how far are willing to sacrifice civil liberties. My point is, force vaccinations, do we force no alcohol, weld
People into their homes etc etc seems like we are moving into a communists philosophy.

It’s more the point of how far are willing to sacrifice civil liberties. My point is, force vaccinations, do we force no alcohol, weld
People into their homes etc etc seems like we are moving into a communists philosophy.

Who are these people who are advocating forced vaccination?

Who are these people who are advocating forced vaccination?

So your tolerant to people having freedom of choice in choosing if they want to be vaccinated or not? You also respect their decision to not be vaccinated?

So your tolerant to people having freedom of choice in choosing if they want to be vaccinated or not? You also respect their decision to not be vaccinated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

forcing people to be vaccinated is counter-productive. If there are consequences of not being vaccinated (eg travel restrictions) then they will just need to suck it up.

Whatever happened to civic duty ? In times past we went off to war, not because it only benefited us personally but it benefited our society. Firefighters mobilize to save houses and lives and properties. Soldiers and firefighters know that there is a risk for them (far more than a vaccine) but do it because we all benefit if we act together.
No-one today can give a 100% guarantee that there will not be any consequences when you get vaccinated (there are some side effects) and no-one can say 100% that there will be no consequences in 20 years time. There almost certainly won't be but no-one can say 100%.

When my grandfather signed up in WWII he didn't get a guarantee either. The guys fighting fires in Perth don't have a guarantee. Everyone who has already had the vaccine I am sure had a seed of doubt and nervousness, but it is not just about the benefit to me who is vaccinated it is the benefit for everyone.

You want your civic right to not have the vaccine, you want your right to not participate in the civic effort to get this thing under control. Fair enough. A bit sad though. In the end you will benefit from the risks others were prepared to take. I guess you win

People should absolutely be able to choose whether they get vaccinated. But if they choose not to, they shouldn't be able to access the full range of benefits, activities and services that society has to offer. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

such as?

This is an article about the Moderna vaccine. It's mainly about its effectiveness. But there are early promising signs that the vaccine may reduce transmission.

Another puzzle is whether the vaccine can prevent people from spreading the disease, which would greatly help to stop the pandemic. Those who are infected but have no symptoms are thought to be a major source of transmission.

New data from Moderna suggest that its vaccine may reduce transmission. Researchers found that people who had one shot were less likely than those in the placebo group to have symptom-free infections in their noses — and therefore less likely to be contagious.

Moderna Vaccine Is Highly Protective and Prevents Severe Covid, Data Show - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Currently, Family Tax Benefit Part A. Then whatever else the government deems to make conditional. Then whatever else the private sector deems to make conditional.

Currently, Family Tax Benefit Part A. Then whatever else the government deems to make conditional. Then whatever else the private sector deems to make conditional.

I reckon travel within Australia (by plane) and internationally is going to be difficult without your vaccination.

Access to a range of Centrelink benefits, travel, public facilities (except hospitals in an emergency), schools, pretty much any private area such as restaurants, supermarkets, etc. Basically, if you choose not to participate in exercising your societal responsibility to not get others sick, you don't get the benefits of being a part of that society.

A good example is the RAA service I'm using right now because my car didn't start. If I won't get vaccinated for Covid, why should I be able to access that service?

I reckon travel within Australia (by plane) and internationally is going to be difficult without your vaccination.

If I decided that owning a Passport was an affront to my personal freedom and health, and then complained that I couldn't travel anywhere out of Australia, I'd be rightly considered a looney who brought it on myself. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back