Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking today, with the benefit of hindsight I wonder how much harder the government would go now. Shut the borders straight away, no shitting around. Actually quarantine everyone who arrives in the country.
January there were people who had their lives destroyed by bushfires and didn't have a roof over their head.

No government in Oz in January was going to say lets have a lockdown because of Wuhan.

The first cases in Oz were reported on 25 January in Oz, 3 Chinese-Oz residents who had returned from Wuhan and 1 Chinese person who traveled to Oz from Guangzhou. 15 February there were 15 cases, almost all had traveled from Wuhan or been there recently. The first death was 1st March.

On February 1, the Federal Government announced a ban on anyone arriving from, or transiting through, mainland China from coming to Australia, unless they had been outside China for 14 days.

Scotty from Marketing didn't have much political capital with the Oz public in January. A few more people than just that firey in NSW would have told him to go and get ****ed in January if there was a lockdown. I would have been one of them.

These things are always a balance.

Last edited:
AFL season is over. Anyone entering SA after Tuesday will be required to self isolate for 14 days

Did our people get back from Gold Coast before this declaration? If so, the Showdown might still be a goer - with SNAFL umpires :sick:

I heard that the French President was being driven around Paris the first weekend after Paris went into lock down. “Why the hell are all these families having picnics in a packed park for”, he said. He was totally pissed off.

Pretty good English for a French bloke

In more depressing news around lack of foresight from our government we have done nothing to increase our local strategic fuel reserve, which remains at around two weeks at best with 70% of our oil still being refined in Singapore, and sourced from the middle east and easily blocked by Iran, Saudi Arabia, the Emirates, India, Malaysia or Indonesia (to name a few) if s**t really hits the fan through a general economic collapse and military/ social isolationism/ conflict.

We have purchased reserves in the US but they still have to get here...and if s**t hits the fan over there they won't give it to us.

So at any point in time as the world descends into madness and angry, unemployed and malnourished populations rise up around the world we will be well and truly f***ed as everyone starts starving to death when we no longer can move food and goods around.

#unintendedconsequences

AFL season is over. Anyone entering SA after Tuesday will be required to self isolate for 14 days

AFL talks about a 153 game season.

Next week they should play 9 more games with a bit of rearranging.

Play derbies in each state, it wont take that much rearranging for the 3 not scheduled for round 2, and the 10 Vic teams play each other.

Then it will be shut down, unless the AFL says we will have another round of 5 games in Victoria in Round 3. If that was the case then that's 23 of 153 games played and 130 games to go some time post June.

Play derbies in each state, it wont take that much rearranging for the 3 not scheduled for round 2, and the 10 Vic teams play each other.

Then it will be shut down, unless the AFL says we will have another round of 5 games in Victoria in Round 3. If that was the case then that's 23 of 153 games played and 130 games to go some time post June.
The AFL has said the first 4 rounds will be played as scheduled because it is not practical to reschedule games at such short notice.

Besides, plenty of AFL officials, media and broadcaster's staff travel interstate for games. Are there 3 AFL field umpires currently in SA?

I'd like to see a Royal Commission into our response to COVID-19 at the end of all this. Morrison announced one for the recent bushfires. A lot more people will die from COVID-19.

Important lessons need to be learned. But it won't happen under Morrison. His government will cop too much of the blame.

If nothing is done in regards to the source of these zoonotic viruses we’ll be facing a situation like this every 3-10 years anyway.

If you’re going to fully integrate with the globe via trillions of dollars of trade and many millions of travellers, idk, maybe a condition of that should be STOP EATING BATS.

Write it off until they can get a run at the season proper is what I'd be doing. They tried to get it going, I've enjoyed the footy so far, but those idiots in Bondi flouting the rules etc did it in for everyone. Might as well write it off and wait it out until it can return property with the crowds etc even though we have no idea how that will happen.

Be some suffering for the clubs and players money wise but that's the way it is now unfortunately.

The AFL has said the first 4 rounds will be played as scheduled because it is not practical to reschedule games at such short notice.

Besides, plenty of AFL officials, media and broadcaster's staff travel interstate for games. Are there 3 AFL field umpires currently in SA?
No idea, but if there isn't, it tells you how Vic centric the AFL really is.

Look, I'm not local so don't have the full picture but I'm sure we can manage. I've heard you blokes (and ladies) wax lyrical about how good channel 7 Adelaide and SANFL umpires are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If nothing is done in regards to the source of these zoonotic viruses we’ll be facing a situation like this every 3-10 years anyway.

If you’re going to fully integrate with the globe via trillions of dollars of trade and many millions of travellers, idk, maybe a condition of that should be STOP EATING BATS.

Yeah but at the end of the day would you rather eat bats or be eaten by bats? Let that sink in.

From 1.30pm Tuesday, WA is introducing new border controls. All interstate arrivals will be ordered to isolate for 14 days, with exemptions for essential workers. @abcperth

People have even given plenty of warning to return to Australia. If you are still overseas on holiday in another weeks time, it is not the Australian Governments problem IMO.

Once again, that's not what I asked. It was a simple question. It's like I asked "hey what do I do if I get skin cancer?" And people reply "well you should've thought about that before you went in the sun!"

If anyone has any genuine answers to my question, that'd be great. It's not about me btw, just some people I work with.

Last edited:
This is data from the USA. It shows the case fatality rate by age group. As you expect the rate increases with age. Two points to bear in mind. These are the rates with the hospital system under little stress. They'll go up once the system is overwhelmed. If you are going to get COVID-19 it's best to get it now.

As the system is overwhelmed there'll be deaths due indirectly to COVID-19. People without the virus who die because hospital systems are overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients. That will affect all age groups, not just the elderly.

View attachment 844775

Is there data for length of stay? The % hospitalisations seems high as we're told that most have only mild symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back