COVID chaos! WA border threatens entire AFL fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld admits the league may have to scrap its current fixture after round one if the West Australian government holds firm on its current border restrictions.

The state’s current rules mean border restrictions will remain in place until there are 28 days without community transition in Victoria. Two cases on Friday, from close contacts already in quarantine, have reset the counter to zero days.

As it sits, WA sides would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home from Victoria. That means with Fremantle facing Melbourne at the MCG in Round 1, their Round 2 match against GWS in Perth would be unplayable.
Easy fix move the two WATeams to Qld

Did anyone read the article or is this just a collective bed wetting exercise?

From the article;
However, despite Victoria’s two cases on Friday, McGowan later explained the border could opener sooner than the 28 days without transmission, given the cases weren’t without community spread.

“The Chief Health Officer has advised that Victoria will reach 28 days without community spread on or about the 13th of March,” he said.

“After that point in time I‘d expect that we’ll move to soften the border if Victoria doesn’t have community spread“

fu** me, more of this sh*t. You'd think something would have been sorted out by now that would exempt teams flying to and from the state regardless of borders, similar to how South Australia did it last season. Also makes absolutely no sense scrapping the fixture just because of two teams.

right... will this covid s**t just * off once and for all

Funny how this time last season the AFL fixture was turned on its head due to Victorian out break of the virus.

Now the WA government is being careful with their borders.

It would suck if there's another outbreak again and all vic teams had to quarantine.

Worse case scenario I can see the WA clubs having hubs in South Australia or Queensland or Canberra.
Hes not being careful. Hes trying to win a election. Being tough on coronavirus and being anti east. He will change his tune after he wins.

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld admits the league may have to scrap its current fixture after round one if the West Australian government holds firm on its current border restrictions.

The state’s current rules mean border restrictions will remain in place until there are 28 days without community transition in Victoria. Two cases on Friday, from close contacts already in quarantine, have reset the counter to zero days.

As it sits, WA sides would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home from Victoria. That means with Fremantle facing Melbourne at the MCG in Round 1, their Round 2 match against GWS in Perth would be unplayable.
How quickly can we give Tassie and Darwin the WA licenses?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the article;
However, despite Victoria’s two cases on Friday, McGowan later explained the border could opener sooner than the 28 days without transmission, given the cases weren’t without community spread.

“The Chief Health Officer has advised that Victoria will reach 28 days without community spread on or about the 13th of March,” he said.

“After that point in time I‘d expect that we’ll move to soften the border if Victoria doesn’t have community spread“
That is a very salient point, god.I hate clickbait titles to spark reactions that don't reflect key information hiding behind a paywall. Difficult to trust McGowan who would be scared of his own shadow but the wording you highlight reduces the likelihood a lot.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Need to get all the club's vaccinated asap, otherwise it's a world of s**t. We know there'll be more outbreaks, it's practically a certainty.

That is such a typical non Eagles/Freo WA supporter response. Because this doesn't affect your team. Both WA clubs are at their knees right now financially, we cant afford another season where we play home games interstate, its ridiculous that every other state will allow footy yet we are still following draconian border laws. Both WA clubs need the home game $$$ this year. I suspect the fixture will be redone to allow for border closures, and worst case Eagles/Freo will make up home games at the end of the season, playing mostly away first up, once most of the country has been vaccinated, the borders here wont be so strict.

My second team is Freo and I go to both eagles and Freo games, so it does impact me.

I’m just anti one rule for footy and mining and another rule for society including compassionate grounds.

Storm in a teacup.

Exemptions will be sorted out, with a lot of behind the scenes work. All will be ok.

By the by, why blame WA, the actual cause of the problem is in Vic. Accept some of the blame at least, don’t blame others who tell you to “wash your hands” properly.

Onward and upward.
No I think this is on WA. There is no documented evidence that the AFL players have transmitted COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic with their protocols in place. That’s why all the other states are letting Victorian clubs in and allowing the season to go ahead.

The fact that the fixture may need to be reworked is on WA, not on Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as Victoria doesn’t * it up again, the WA - Vic border will be open without a two-week quarantine by March 13. If there is community transmission in Victoria, then there will be another lockdown in Victoria and the plans of the AFL will count for nothing. If there is more community transmission in NSW, their way of dealing with the virus will mean that the competition will be stuffed around for at least a month.

Don’t blame the WA government if Victoria or NSW shits the bed again.

Need to get all the club's vaccinated asap, otherwise it's a world of sh*t. We know there'll be more outbreaks, it's practically a certainty.
Sporting teams don’t deserve to jump the queue for a vaccine.
There will probably be more outbreaks however I think the frequency will drop significantly now pre flight testing has been introduced, and quarantine workers are being vaccinated.

Really, having visiting teams arrive and quarantine but actually play a game during it with all the extra ‘precautions’ was the height of stupidity and hypocrisy. But it happened.

There would be a much smaller risk flying in and out quickly under the same conditions. WA can do what it wants with its own clubs

Sporting teams don’t deserve to jump the queue for a vaccine.
There will probably be more outbreaks however I think the frequency will drop significantly now pre flight testing has been introduced, and quarantine workers are being vaccinated.

The whole country is jumping the queue before countries which should be a priority.

As long as Victoria doesn’t fu** it up again, the WA - Vic border will be open without a two-week quarantine by March 13. If there is community transmission in Victoria, then there will be another lockdown in Victoria and the plans of the AFL will count for nothing. If there is more community transmission in NSW, their way of dealing with the virus will mean that the competition will be stuffed around for at least a month.

Don’t blame the WA government if Victoria or NSW shits the bed again.

You can’t trust the WA Government.

They shut Perth down for 5 days for one *ingg case !!. A case of the supposedly hyper contagious “UK variant” that the guy spread around Perth for 6 days and nobody else contracted. Not even his flat mates who were living 10 to a room.

It’s hysterical over-reactionary nonsense.

From the article;

But the borders will br closed on even 1 case. That is ridiculous. And means there is a ticking timebomb the entire season.

The AFL needs to get guarantees from state govts and thrn update the fixture now.

So Round 1 has West Coast vs Gold Coast in Perth, which is fine right now. Freo play Melbourne in Melbourne, so might need to stay in Melbourne until the following Saturday (28 days from now) but could then fly back to play their game against GWS on the Sunday in Round 2.

Assuming everything goes right and WA doesn't close the border on anyone.

Funny how this time last season the AFL fixture was turned on its head due to Victorian out break of the virus.

Now the WA government is being careful with their borders.

It would suck if there's another outbreak again and all vic teams had to quarantine.

Worse case scenario I can see the WA clubs having hubs in South Australia or Queensland or Canberra.
Assuming the vaccine works surely all hotel staff are now vaccinated and there is no community cases anywhere in the country so by rights it should now be near impossible for an outbreak to occur, WA are just being dumb at the minute unless governments know something we don't.

Given the two cases yesterday weren’t really community transmission the 28 days should be hit on the Friday of round one, meaning there logically shouldn’t be any issue.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I said, a media beat up.

Discussions are being held behind the scenes, McGowan & Co are being made well aware of the lack of footy in WA implications. Still a number of weeks to Round 1.

He is holding his ground at the moment, once the election is over, the “deal” will be made public. In this instance, allow the footy teams more flexibility with movement.

All will be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back