COVID chaos! WA border threatens entire AFL fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld admits the league may have to scrap its current fixture after round one if the West Australian government holds firm on its current border restrictions.

The state’s current rules mean border restrictions will remain in place until there are 28 days without community transition in Victoria. Two cases on Friday, from close contacts already in quarantine, have reset the counter to zero days.

As it sits, WA sides would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home from Victoria. That means with Fremantle facing Melbourne at the MCG in Round 1, their Round 2 match against GWS in Perth would be unplayable.

* me, more of this s**t. You'd think something would have been sorted out by now that would exempt teams flying to and from the state regardless of borders, similar to how South Australia did it last season. Also makes absolutely no sense scrapping the fixture just because of two teams.

Funny how this time last season the AFL fixture was turned on its head due to Victorian out break of the virus.

Now the WA government is being careful with their borders.

It would suck if there's another outbreak again and all vic teams had to quarantine.

Worse case scenario I can see the WA clubs having hubs in South Australia or Queensland or Canberra.

Reschedule the Western Derby for R1. After that they can default any games if they won't travel or if W.A. won't let the other team into the state to play at Optus.

I don't mean this is in an unkindly way to the teams - Eagles are my second team. But with HQ, airport and critical workers getting the jab in the next couple of weeks, if the WA premier wants to be a d**k about things, the residents of his state will have to pay the price.

Edit: the chance of VIC being 28 days clear of any new local COVID infection by R2 is basically nil.

Just play the R2 game Fremantle vs GWS as the season opener on Saturday 13th March. Would not disrupt anyone else and both sides would get a week off when everyone else is playing their R2.

Makes you wonder if we really need an AFL season at the moment, with the virus still plaguing our planet.

Might be time to pull up stumps and let the players and officials focus on staying safe in this unprecedented time.

Oh no you don't. We see through you as you just want to make sure North Melbourne don't get the wooden spoon this year :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no you don't. We see through you as you just want to make sure North Melbourne don't get the wooden spoon this year :p
I'd rather we still get the spoon, even if the season is called off.

Need more top draft picks like nobodys business.

Heard a rumour our boys got beaten by 100 points in a scratch match against the Saints 🤦‍♂️

And Mason Wood kicked four goals... against us.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On reflection, I don't think we need to worry because Mein Fuhrer McGowan will see a political advantage in opening the border before our election. My advice to him would be just remember what happened to Adolf, Mark

Reschedule the Western Derby for R1. After that they can default any games if they won't travel or if W.A. won't let the other team into the state to play at Optus.

I don't mean this is in an unkindly way to the teams - Eagles are my second team. But with HQ, airport and critical workers getting the jab in the next couple of weeks, if the WA premier wants to be a d**k about things, the residents of his state will have to pay the price.

Edit: the chance of VIC being 28 days clear of any new local COVID infection by R2 is basically nil.
Wash your mouth son, nobody has them for a second team!

On reflection, I don't think we need to worry because Mein Fuhrer McGowan will see a political advantage in opening the border before our election. My advice to him would be just remember what happened to Adolf, Mark

Never thought I'd see Godwin's Law invoked on the first page in a main board thread.

fu** me, more of this sh*t. You'd think something would have been sorted out by now that would exempt teams flying to and from the state regardless of borders, similar to how South Australia did it last season. Also makes absolutely no sense scrapping the fixture just because of two teams.

I think they will sort out exemptions for AFL teams. Border rules for all states including WA have been relaxed since the AFL season last year and there will be political pressure for the Eagles and Dockers and visiting interstate teams to come to some kind of bubble arrangement.

Storm in a teacup.

Exemptions will be sorted out, with a lot of behind the scenes work. All will be ok.

By the by, why blame WA, the actual cause of the problem is in Vic. Accept some of the blame at least, don’t blame others who tell you to “wash your hands” properly.

Onward and upward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back