Craig Bradley Retires...Official Release.

Remove this Banner Ad

RadioShark

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2002
Albury, NSW.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
MEDIA RELEASE
Carlton's Craig Bradley has requested the following statement be distributed to all media.

"I would like to make a brief statement in regards to season 2003.

Firstly, I'm fit, motivated and confident of being a valuable contributor to the team next season. Secondly, I would like to announce my retirement.
I have spoken to Denis Pagan and he has left the door open for me to play on. I thank him for the respect he has shown me with such an opportunity.

I have many people to thank and will do so in the coming weeks.
I would however like to publicly thank the Carlton Football Club and the Port Adelaide Football Club for many wonderful times and their influences in shaping my life.

To leave the game with a bit left in the tank and in good personal form makes me feel good.

It's fitting that, Australian tour aside, my last game of footy was against Port Adelaide, a game in which I punctured my lung and broke a couple of ribs (thanks Port).

I'm a little excited about stepping back from the game and also a little nervous. I trust Donna (my wife) can handle any anxiety attacks coming her way.

As a son, it's rewarding to have your parents enjoy your life.
My mother was my greatest supporter and god help anyone who crossed me within ear shot of mum.
My dad is my hero. Thanks for teaching me the game of footy.
I thank him for taking me with him when he coached footy.
At age five, six, seven, he would take me, include me in his environment and his passion and I loved it.

Our routine went something like:
9am game with Pooraka Under Nines and scull a bottle of coke after a victory;
Rush off to grab some fish and chips and one pineapple fritter;
Sit with dad eating and watching Woodville Under 17s play and then hang around to be the mascot and watch dad's Under 19s play -- I'd wander around all day kicking the footy;
Then, to finish the day, back to nanna's for more chips and eggs and watching the footy replay;
The ultimate day. For me anyway, a very special time.

Mum and Dad, thanks for being there all the way and yet never pushing me.

Before I finish, I would especially like to acknowledge Geof Motley for all his help and guidance.

Good luck to my fantastic Carlton team mates in 2003. I'll be watching closely.

Go Blues.

Craig Bradley, October 31, 2002.

Ends

sad day for the Carlton club.

I dont care what anyone says about him being overrated, but i always thought he was a gun who did the job he had to do.

Racked up the possesions better than just about anyone.

A truly great player of this era.

Great player, great career, but wierd press release. Especially "Firstly, I'm fit, motivated and confident of being a valuable contributor to the team next season. Secondly, I would like to announce my retirement. "
And that little day-in-the-life-of.:confused:

One of the best receivers in the game. How a bloke that soft can last so long is testament to his ability to avoid physical clashes over a prolonged period.

At least Carlton have the likes of Camporeale, Lappin and Houlihan to keep the dream alive.

Strange opening comment from Bradley in regards to Pagan in his release.
Sad to see him go, but he has made the right decision.
Great to see him mention Pooraka too. A great suburban club.

Interesting question, I'm sure someone can find the answer in no time at all: With Bradley's retirement how many players are left from Carlton's premiership side of 1995?

At this point I can think of Allen, McKay, Kouta and Camporeale.
If that's all it makes an interesting point about the maturity of that side at the time of its win.
Also reflects the turnover of players now.

I wouldn't think that most orf the individuals in that side will go down as greats of the club - Clape, Pearce, Spalding to name some - but as a unit they were awesome.

Only a Magpie supporter would sink low enough to bag Bradley's physicality...

It is indeed a sad day and I wish Braddles the best for the future. I hope he has a farewell lap around the ground before the Essendon or Collingwood game but as he is publicity shy, this is unlikely.

You have been a great player for our great club, and you are almost "The Best Ever" in "The Best Ever" team.

Originally posted by saiak

And gained the winner of the 2001 B&F and deserved winner of the 2000 Brownlow

I think Woey won the Brownlow in 2000 didn't he? Anyway Kouta won't be the one season wonder he once was, his knees are stuffed..

Originally posted by Rohan_

Anyway Kouta won't be the one season wonder he once was, his knees are stuffed..

Yes he will.

He will always be a one season wonder. (Actually two thirds of a season wonder, he had a slow start that year).

Originally posted by knuckles
Great player, great career, but wierd press release. Especially "Firstly, I'm fit, motivated and confident of being a valuable contributor to the team next season. Secondly, I would like to announce my retirement. "
And that little day-in-the-life-of.:confused:
Maybe it's all a little too eloquent for you? A magnificently put together release illustrating the man's passion for the game and how he has not lost the wide-eyed excitement of a little boy. Surely Bradley is gilt edged coaching material.

Originally posted by McAlmanac
Surely Bradley is gilt edged coaching material.

Speaking in public is surely a prerequisite for the coaching gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Rohan_

I think Woey won the Brownlow in 2000 didn't he? Anyway Kouta won't be the one season wonder he once was, his knees are stuffed..

I said "DESERVING WINNER"

I am intending to say that he was the best player that year...but was robbed of the medal

Essendon was robbed of a GF berth in 1999 but thats not what the record books say.

And a retrospective Brownlow won't make Kouta's knees get better.

For gods sake.

Really, this is sad.

And I don't mean Bradley.

I mean the constant sniping of some rather graceless individuals. I know the ability to be even-tempered is not high on the list of attributes you'd associate with a footy supporter, but I can acknowledge when a great player retires and he doesn't happen to play for my team. Some of you don't seem to have this ability, and i'm very disappointed for you.

Footy is about 16 teams and some 400 players. You have to be able to see past club colours and view footy as a whole in some situations. I scream for the Navy blue as hard as anyone on game-day, but I love footy as a whole.

Braddles was a great footballer. He deserves nothing but commendation for the fair, skillful, courageous way he played the game. The Carlton footy club will be all the poorer for his departure, but exciting times lay ahead.

A Champion Retires

Totally agree with you BC. It is sad to see morons who wouldn't last an afternoon in under 8s taking potshots at a 300 + gamer.

I always liked Craig Bradley, he got on with his job and did it well.

I loved his retirement speech, and his loving testimony to his parents.

I wish the best of luck to Craig and his new life outside football.

Re: A Champion Retires

Originally posted by My two Cents
Totally agree with you BC. It is sad to see morons who wouldn't last an afternoon in under 8s taking potshots at a 300 + gamer.

it make me mad to see people atacking great like braddls

he is a chamiopn & as a south aussie i wish him all the best

Bradley certainly was a great player, great competitor. Didn't deserve to go out with a spoon, but at least on a personal note he did go out in good form, bar the injury of course.
Would of loved him at the Bombers, if only Carlton didn't sign him from under our noses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back