Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Carey is worth a punt as Test keeper. His stumping off Rashid against the Sixers was one of the highlights of the summer IMHO, and I reckon his keeping and batting are better than Paine. Of course, the fact that he's from SA counts against him......
Problem with Paine is he has been given the captaincy and he was the man to help repair Australias image and promote "playing fair" and "be good blokes"
They cant dump him now

Problem with Paine is he has been given the captaincy and he was the man to help repair Australias image and promote "playing fair" and "be good blokes"
They cant dump him now

Agreed, the decision to give Paine the captaincy was as much (or possibly even more) about repairing Australia's image, than it was about his cricketing ability, and as you say `they can't dump him now.'

MS Dhoni 'Paul Keatinged' the hapless Aussies tonite...

Keating_Paul_BANNER.jpg

"I'm going to do you slowly"

They named a squad for the two Test Sri Lanka series. Not sure why they could not have left their options open and picked a side for the first Test on a 'see how it goes' basis. Then again I guess the squad can be added to. This game was obviously only intended as a pink ball warm up for the Sri Lankans and the likes of Kurtis Patterson probably wasn't expected to make runs.

It's because you is a s**t bloke Wadey...

Overlooking Matthew Wade is most baffling selection snub of the summer

Matthew Wade has scored a total 1081 runs this Australian cricket season.

That’s across three formats, against quality professional bowling attacks, all around the country.

He is the leading runscorer in the Sheffield Shield at the midway point of the season. He’s whacked 571 runs at an average of 63.44, including one century and five 50s.

In the Big Bash League he is beaten only by his Hurricanes teammate D’Arcy Short. Wade has compiled 323 runs at 40.37 with three 50s and a high score of 85.

So it’s understandable the 31-year-old left-hander is a little confused as to why he’s being constantly overlooked for national honours.

Wade wasn’t even given the chance to press his claim for a Test call-up in last week’s tour match against Sri Lanka.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/austra...g-selection-snub-of-the-summer-ng-b881080866z

Of all places it's apparently too sunny for play in NZ :D

A couple of other strange reasons for play being stopped:

Fried calamari
There was an unscheduled hold-up during a Currie Cup match in Paarl in 1995 when the Test batsman Daryll Cullinan hit the future international fast bowler Roger Telemachus for six. The ball landed in a spectator's barbecue, among a generous portion of frying squid, and it was ten minutes before the ball was cool enough for the umpires to remove the grease. "Even then," reported Wisden, "Telemachus was unable to grip the ball and it had to be replaced."

Doodlebugs
A wartime match at Lord's, between the Army and the Royal Air Force in July 1944, was stopped when a German doodlebug seemed likely to land on the ground. The players lay on the turf, and spectators took evasive action (they were advised to go under the stands in case of an emergency like this). But the device carried on before landing in Regent's Park. "The first flying-bomb to menace Lord's during the progress of a match," reported an outraged Wisden. One of the batsmen, the Middlesex and England opener Jack Robertson, dusted himself off and celebrated the narrow escape by hitting the next ball for six.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not think Starc is bowling well and Damien Fleming made a good observation about Starc's line and rhythm when coming around the wicket. Starc has not been able to get any reverse swing all season and according to Fleming he is relying on his pace to get wickets. That works against the lower order but doesn't necessarily work against the top order particularly when you are attacking the wrong line. Starc is still taking wickets and his form does not concern me that much as I believe he is good enough to get it right.

I am more concerned with Usman Khawaja's form. Admittedly he had a late start to the season and there has been turmoil in his private life but Kahwaja's form has not been what we expected. A return of 198 runs at 28.90 against India followed by a failure in the first at the Gabba does not get the job done. In the absence of Smith and Warner the series against India and Sri Lanka was the chance for Kahwaja to make a statement but disappointingly he has failed do do that. You get the feeling that Usman needs a big innings to get his career back on track and hopefully the second innings will see that happen.

On the other hand Marcus Harris has been a find and looks to have a future in Test cricket. If Harris can go on with it and Head, Patterson and Labuschagne get among the runs there is some hope for the future. If Australia can make it past 300 they should be in a position to force a win which would be a great confidence builder for what is a very inexperienced team.

This is Groundhog Day. The Aussie bowlers put us on top then the batsmen * things up.

It is now up to Head, Labuschagne, Patterson and Paine to carry the score to 300 plus.

Labuschagne and Head steadying the ship with a good partnership. Good to see some young guys with a possible future doing the job. It is much better than revisiting guys who are going nowhere.

Last edited:
La Busch is definitely a player, and if he can develop his bowling without losing his primary focus as a batsman, then so much the better.
In tests against India I thought Travis Head had transitioned into a repeat offender goon, but it looks like he has applied himself this time around. Much improved technique wide outside off stump.

I know that Cummins had a big break - 5.5 years between his 1st and 2nd test because of his back injury, but I've always been impressed by his pace and ability to move the ball and these stats show he is as good as any Oz bowler of the last 50 years.

They cant dump him now

Yes, that is spot on. Tim Paine is there for more than his cricket ability. I don't think Paine has a huge future but he will be Captain for the Ashes and probably next summer. In the meantime, if Travis Head can nail a spot in the team he has a chance of taking over if not Pat Cummins is a chance.

On the subject of selection for the Canberra Test this an interesting comment from Trevor Hohns,

"We made the decision to add Marcus [Stoinis] to give us the flexibility to play an all-rounder in the event the conditions require an extra bowling option in the line- up,"

I like Stoinis as a player but I thought Marnus Labuschagne was there to provide the additional bowling option if needed. Geez, Glen Maxwell wasn't happy a month back but he will be cooking nicely now as it looks like he is clearly the no4 all round option after Labuschagne, Stoinis and Mitchell Marsh.

Looking like the Aussies will go the whole summer without anyone making a Test century, talk about an awful start to this match...

Edit: spoke too soon. Great work by Burns (107no) & Head (92no)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back