2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he needs to find an elite quality at AFL level to offset his size.

Not sure what this is yet, maybe it's the quality of his disposals and goal kicking? It needs to be absolutely outstanding though for him to make it.
I agree, but funnily enough I just looked it up and he's pretty much the exact same height and weight as Eddie Betts. They aren't the same player obviously, but I never really looked at Eddie and said, wow he's too small to play AFL footy.

I agree, but funnily enough I just looked it up and he's pretty much the exact same height and weight as Eddie Betts. They aren't the same player obviously, but I never really looked at Eddie and said, wow he's too small to play AFL footy.
At that height a player needs some elite attributes to make it at AFL level. Eddie clearly has them. Does Jarman?

At that height a player needs some elite attributes to make it at AFL level. Eddie clearly has them. Does Jarman?
Time will tell. I think Jarman's best attribute is between his ears. Seems to have a footy brain. Whether he can translate that into top end play remains to be seen. But i'm excited to see what he can do on the big stage

I don't know. He's 19 and hasn't played a game yet. We'll see in the future.

I have a sneaky suspicion he won’t be on an afl list in 2019.

Time will tell

Ballsy call, but each to their own!

I'm the opposite, I liked a lot of what I saw from him in the 2nd half of the year after he really struggled to do anything of note in the first half.

He's not lightning quick or a super athlete, but like an Eddie Betts type small forward, he's smart and skillful.

I think he will continue building and working the physical aspect of his game and should (imo obviously) be pushing for selection come 2019.

Doubt we will see him this year, unless the coaches pull their finger out and give him a game vs Gold Coast.

Seed and Mackay are two players for whom there is a strong disconnect between how the coaches see them, and how the supporters see them.

Coaches: Mackay > Seedsman
Supporters: Seedsman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mackay

The only reason Seedsman won't be in the AFL team with Smith's demise will be if his body lets him down again which unfortunately has been a recurring issue in recent years. Seedsman was one of our better players in 3 of the 4 games he played on resuming in the AFL last year. Poor in the GF along with plenty of others.

OuXWOH.png

Seed and Mackay are two players for whom there is a strong disconnect between how the coaches see them, and how the supporters see them.

Coaches: Mackay > Seedsman
Supporters: Seedsman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mackay

My money is on this being another of your certainties surrounding experienced yet mediocre players that will fall flat. You're failing to take into account a couple of important factors, as you have in the past. An uninjured and appropriately conditioned Seedsman will play ahead of Mackay. This is a near certainty. Gibson may play aheaf of both though. Will be interesting for sure, especially with Milera and a couple of others potentially sniffing around a wing/half back role.

My money is on this being another of your certainties surrounding experienced yet mediocre players that will fall flat. You're failing to take into account a couple of important factors, as you have in the past. An uninjured and appropriately conditioned Seedsman will play ahead of Mackay. This is a near certainty. Gibson may play aheaf of both though. Will be interesting for sure, especially with Milera and a couple of others potentially sniffing around a wing/half back role.
You're calling me on my "certainties", then you state that a fit & uninjured Seed is a "near certainty". Irony?

I think a fit & uninjured Mackay is rated ahead of a fit & uninjured Seed. Difference being that Mackay runs both ways, is willing to put his body on the line (even if it's often ineffective), and is moderately capable of actually defending. Those are all traits that the coaches love, and the reasons why he keeps his golden pass. They are also traits that Seed lacks, which is why Mackay is rated ahead of him.

I have no argument with anyone suggesting that Gibson and/or Milera may be selected ahead of both of them.

You're calling me on my "certainties", then you state that a fit & uninjured Seed is a "near certainty". Irony?

I think a fit & uninjured Mackay is rated ahead of a fit & uninjured Seed. Difference being that Mackay runs both ways, is willing to put his body on the line (even if it's often ineffective), and is moderately capable of actually defending. Those are all traits that the coaches love, and the reasons why he keeps his golden pass. They are also traits that Seed lacks, which is why Mackay is rated ahead of him.

I have no argument with anyone suggesting that Gibson and/or Milera may be selected ahead of both of them.

The one thing you are missing in the MacKay battle for a spot, MacKay best weapons and versatility are for the first time seriously challenged.
Not by Seedsman but by Gibbs, Comparing Seedman to MacKay is leading a few to miss the bigger picture.
Gibbs who is barring injury absolute starter, We all agree.
Now we need to see the roll on effect of his inclusion.
Gibbs will be pushing Douglas back 1 for the first game its Douglas pushing MacKay for a spot. And then you have Milera in the Picture.
That is Gibbs, Douglas, Milera, Hampton all capable of playing that Role MacKay had as last man standing.
Then on the wing, he has Seedsman, Atkins, Gibson And a young Kid in Pohokle.
For the first time in several years, he has decent and Fit competition.

Seedman fills a different role and does play both ways, and if you look at the stats for the last 2 years he better than MacKay in the key stats you want for a running wing capable of playing that defensive wing role as well. he tops MacKay in Tackles, Rebound 50, Attacking 50, Metre gained, Clearances, Goals, Efficiency. And importantly in Pyke's game plan Metres gained. He kicks over lines and with the speed in our Forward line that is important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one thing you are missing in the MacKay battle for a spot, MacKay best weapons and versatility are for the first time seriously challenged.
Not by Seedsman but by Gibbs, Comparing Seedman to MacKay is leading a few to miss the bigger picture.
Gibbs who is barring injury absolute starter, We all agree.
Now we need to see the roll on effect of his inclusion.
Gibbs will be pushing Douglas back 1 for the first game its Douglas pushing MacKay for a spot. And then you have Milera in the Picture.
That is Gibbs, Douglas, Milera, Hampton all capable of playing that Role MacKay had as last man standing.
Then on the wing, he has Seedsman, Atkins, Gibson And a young Kid in Pohokle.
For the first time in several years, he has decent and Fit competition.

Seedman fills a different role and does play both ways, and if you look at the stats for the last 2 years he better than MacKay in the key stats you want for a running wing capable of playing that defensive wing role as well. he tops MacKay in Tackles, Rebound 50, Attacking 50, Metre gained, Clearances, Goals, Efficiency. And importantly in Pyke's game plan Metres gained. He kicks over lines and with the speed in our Forward line that is important.
You're arguing points I haven't made, or points I've already agreed to. I agree that the arrivals of Gibbs & Gibson, together with the development of Gallucci, Poholke, Milera, Fogarty and Doedee, puts significant pressure on the positions held by Mackay & Seedsman.

What I have said is that Mackay is rated as a better player than Seedsman, by the coaches. You clearly disagree, and that's fine. You're allowed to be wrong, and I know that most of BF would agree with your assessment rather than the coaches'.

It's fairly simple. The selectors rate Mackay ahead of Seedsman, so if one of them ends up in the SANFL then it's most likely to be Seed. I am certainly not ruling out the possibility of both players ending up in the SANFL, and I think this is highly likely to happen by the end of the season.

Seed is capable of playing on the wing, and that's pretty much it. Mackay is capable of playing on the wing and the HBF. When it comes to choosing wingmen, Mackay is preferred. When it comes to the HBF, Seed isn't even in the equation. There is no position in which Seed is preferred ahead of Mackay.

You're arguing points I haven't made, or points I've already agreed to. I agree that the arrivals of Gibbs & Gibson, together with the development of Gallucci, Poholke, Milera, Fogarty and Doedee, puts significant pressure on the positions held by Mackay & Seedsman.

What I have said is that Mackay is rated as a better player than Seedsman, by the coaches. You clearly disagree, and that's fine. You're allowed to be wrong, and I know that most of BF would agree with your assessment rather than the coaches'.

It's fairly simple. The selectors rate Mackay ahead of Seedsman, so if one of them ends up in the SANFL then it's most likely to be Seed. I am certainly not ruling out the possibility of both players ending up in the SANFL, and I think this is highly likely to happen by the end of the season.

Seed is capable of playing on the wing, and that's pretty much it. Mackay is capable of playing on the wing and the HBF. When it comes to choosing wingmen, Mackay is preferred. When it comes to the HBF, Seed isn't even in the equation. There is no position in which Seed is preferred ahead of Mackay.

Not in 2018 , In 2017 MacKay advantage of Playing that Half back and wing was valued, in 2018 it not as there are other better suited. coveringt eh Half back role in game,
So this year he up against Seedsman on the wing and base on the last two years he does not has the stats to push in front of Seedsman.
The speed of Ball movement, run and Carry, good decision making and metre's gain are some of area we will be looking at to improve, Seedsman is better in all those areas. Plus the added advantage of Height.
Guess we will find out in a few week what their preference will be.

Squad for Fast Footy announced

ADELAIDE

Adelaide will roll out the majority of its development player list at the Australian Unity Fast Footy carnival this weekend. Impressive wingman Matt Spencely, who boasts great evasive ability, has returned after last lining up with the Crows in 2015 and 2016 while former North Adelaide pair Harry Slee and Michael McMahon will don the tri-colours for the first time. Goalsneak McMahon played 15 Macca’s League matches for the Roosters in 2015 and 2016 before booting 47 goals for Glenunga last year.

1 – John Boxer, 2 – Joey Brown, 3 – Adam Connolly, 4 – Matt Spencely, 5 – Aidan Offe, 7 – Mitch Minns, 8 – Aaron Asfaha, 9 – Corey Davey, 10 – Doug Hadden, 11 – Damon Hill, 12 – Blake Launer, 13 – Ryan Marini, 17 – Aaron Baker, 18 – Tyson Irlam, 19 – James Lean, 20 – Sam Venning, 21 – Josh Vandermeer, 22 – Rupert Peake, 23 – Harry Slee, 24 – Michael McMahon, 27 – Sam Ferguson, 28 – James Loneragan, 29 – Brad Oats.

Squad for Fast Footy announced

ADELAIDE

Adelaide will roll out the majority of its development player list at the Australian Unity Fast Footy carnival this weekend. Impressive wingman Matt Spencely, who boasts great evasive ability, has returned after last lining up with the Crows in 2015 and 2016 while former North Adelaide pair Harry Slee and Michael McMahon will don the tri-colours for the first time. Goalsneak McMahon played 15 Macca’s League matches for the Roosters in 2015 and 2016 before booting 47 goals for Glenunga last year.

1 – John Boxer, 2 – Joey Brown, 3 – Adam Connolly, 4 – Matt Spencely, 5 – Aidan Offe, 7 – Mitch Minns, 8 – Aaron Asfaha, 9 – Corey Davey, 10 – Doug Hadden, 11 – Damon Hill, 12 – Blake Launer, 13 – Ryan Marini, 17 – Aaron Baker, 18 – Tyson Irlam, 19 – James Lean, 20 – Sam Venning, 21 – Josh Vandermeer, 22 – Rupert Peake, 23 – Harry Slee, 24 – Michael McMahon, 27 – Sam Ferguson, 28 – James Loneragan, 29 – Brad Oats.
So.. no AFL listed players participating in Fast Footy. Presumably no "best 22" players participating in AFLX.

So.. no AFL listed players participating in Fast Footy. Presumably no "best 22" players participating in AFLX.
Tiser did report Pyke (?) saying AFLX will be a fast attacking gamestyle suited to the Crows, a bit better than training drills and not as good as a match. Tiser also wrote that it might be a good opportunity to audition the next group of potential captains.

GreyCrow 16 [e].gif GreyCrow 16 [e].gif [0.9mb]

spike.png

Last edited:
His game sense and positioning is, but maybe that isn't enough.

hes too slow to play as a modern day small forward which is all about closing space and applying pressure ( more than offence unless you are kicking 50 goals which he won't be )

So he has to become a dominant mid in sanfl - Caleb Daniel should be his inspiration

I'd say he's unlikely and I think Edwards is even more unlikely

hes too slow to play as a modern day small forward which is all about closing space and applying pressure ( more than offence unless you are kicking 50 goals which he won't be )

So he has to become a dominant mid in sanfl - Caleb Daniel should be his inspiration

I'd say he's unlikely and I think Edwards is even more unlikely
They played him in the midfield in the last game of the year and he looked really good. Of course the step up from SANFL to AFL isn't a small one.

Does anyone know when this fast footy thing starts? All the pieces just say February 9th and 10th, but don't actually include a time. I'm not super keen of spending 48 hours at Norwood Oval.

Kicks off at 5:45pm with Port v Eagles.

Both Adelaide matches are on Saturday (2:25pm v North, 5:10pm v Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back