Current players who are in your clubs GOAT side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good effort. A few changes for mine.

Bickley out - Bassett in
Bock out - Talia in
Douglas out - Johncock In (you want to have Dougie underlines in your team too)
Jacobs out - A Jarman in
I only underlined best 22.

Bickley was your premiership captain and the perfect choice for small defender. For balance I'd go Johncock before Basset anyway.

I'll accept your observations on Talia over Bock seeing as you have probably seen a lot more of him. But Bock was an exceptional CHB at his peak and Talia is still a couple more good years off for enduring quality.

Jacobs has been great for you guys and TBH I felt A Jarman really underachieved for his ability. And I like having 2 players who can ruck in my 22s that I create.

But it's hard to justify my views ahead of someone like yourself who would watch them week-in week-out and live more often too in sure.

Salmon is the resting ruckman. And its a brave move taking out Edwards. No way in hell you can take out Arthur unless you simply have no respect for history.

The others coming out is basically saying nothing before the 1970s matters.

If anything you drop Knights for Hodge because Knights is already out of position. You drop Platten for Rioli if you think Rioli is better at Forward Pocket (which he clearly is) and then its still a struggle to fit Mitchell, Crawf and Buddy...
Salmon has to come out. He played something like 100 games for the club! Roughy would get in ahead of him.

Mitchell has 4 Flags, 5 B&F, 3 AA, Brownlow, Premiership captain. If he can't find his way into the team then we're doing it wrong.

What hype? Brian Taylor referring to him as "The Package"? He's being criticised and measured against something he has literally no control over.

78 games, 146 goals, All-Australian and a premiership under his belt at 22, and he's one of our most important players as a medium forward and key midfield rotation. Not sure what more people expect.

With those facts I think it's conclusive. He definitely is one of the Western Bulldogs greatest players of all time.

Carlton could dig up the bones of some of our greats and they would put on a better show than some of our listed players right now ffs

Goddard wouldn't even get close to a St Kilda GOAT team.

Yes he would.

These are the half-back flankers in St Kilda's team of the century:

Trevor Barker (230 games; 16.8 disposals; 0 finals; 7 wooden spoons)
Daryl Griffiths (123 games; 18.3 disposals; 7 finals;

Compare that with:

Goddard (205 games; 21.3 disposals; 16 finals)

Now I know that Barker has a special place in the hearts and minds of St Kilda supporters and for that very reason few would be willing to even consider his exclusion from St Kilda's best ever team. But can it really be argued that Griffiths with 123 games to his name was a bigger contributor to St Kilda's success than Goddard?

The reality is that St Kilda's team of the century should, to a large degree, be dominated by players from the 60's and 00's because they are the only two periods where St Kilda enjoyed sustained success. You'd supplement that will the key players from the late-80s and 90s and largely forget the other less successful eras.

A whole heap of recent players would be included in St Kilda's best ever team. Goddard would be one of many.

I only underlined best 22.

Bickley was your premiership captain and the perfect choice for small defender. For balance I'd go Johncock before Basset anyway.

I'll accept your observations on Talia over Bock seeing as you have probably seen a lot more of him. But Bock was an exceptional CHB at his peak and Talia is still a couple more good years off for enduring quality.

Jacobs has been great for you guys and TBH I felt A Jarman really underachieved for his ability. And I like having 2 players who can ruck in my 22s that I create.

But it's hard to justify my views ahead of someone like yourself who would watch them week-in week-out and live more often too in sure.
Mate, my suggestions would be arguable. Apart from Bass, who for me is non-negotiable, you've got the main elements.

Except Simpson. He is already one of your GOAT.

Yep. You may be right. There would be a case for Simo vs Comben. Very astute. It would be very close. If Simo became captain after Judd it would probably tip his way, but it's about 50/50 ATM.

He may also put out Ken Hunter. They both played opposite ends of the ground, but in a similar style of play. Would be a very close call again.

Good call.

Last edited:
Yes he would.

These are the half-back flankers in St Kilda's team of the century:

Trevor Barker (230 games; 16.8 disposals; 0 finals; 7 wooden spoons)
Daryl Griffiths (123 games; 18.3 disposals; 7 finals;

Compare that with:

Goddard (205 games; 21.3 disposals; 16 finals)

Now I know that Barker has a special place in the hearts and minds of St Kilda supporters and for that very reason few would be willing to even consider his exclusion from St Kilda's best ever team. But can it really be argued that Griffiths with 123 games to his name was a bigger contributor to St Kilda's success than Goddard?

The reality is that St Kilda's team of the century should, to a large degree, be dominated by players from the 60's and 00's because they are the only two periods where St Kilda enjoyed sustained success. You'd supplement that will the key players from the late-80s and 90s and largely forget the other less successful eras.

A whole heap of recent players would be included in St Kilda's best ever team. Goddard would be one of many.

Hey still time for BJ to match Barkers spoon total you know ;)

And apart from Nick Riewoldt who else do you suggest from our last 10 years or so would you think could make our team of the century?

Goddard would make essendons GOAT? Seriously?
181336-brendon-goddard.jpg

Salmon has to come out. He played something like 100 games for the club! Roughy would get in ahead of him.

Mitchell has 4 Flags, 5 B&F, 3 AA, Brownlow, Premiership captain. If he can't find his way into the team then we're doing it wrong.

Roughie could be the one to replace Salmon.

Does Mitchell replace Platten? Especially when Platten is at Forward Pocket... more realistically Jim Bohan or Col Austen... but again we are suffering from immediacy effect. The Team of the Century becomes the Team of the Last 30 Years and we fail to recognise the players who built the club in to what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey still time for BJ to match Barkers spoon total you know ;)

And apart from Nick Riewoldt who else do you suggest from our last 10 years or so would you think could make our team of the century?

Not with St Kilda there isn't ;)

There are the guys who I think deserve consideration (listed by games played):

1. Riewoldt
2. Hayes
3. Milne
4. Montagna
5. Dal Santo
6. Goddard

Now fitting in six might be difficult due to depth at certain positions but these are all guys who could be named in St Kilda's best ever team and it wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Not with St Kilda there isn't ;)

There are the guys who I think deserve consideration (listed by games played):

1. Riewoldt
2. Hayes
3. Milne
4. Montagna
5. Dal Santo
6. Goddard

Now fitting in six might be difficult due to depth at certain positions but these are all guys who could be named in St Kilda's best ever team and it wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

For a team with such low periods and few high ones our team of the century has a surprising amount of depth. Sure Milne looks good with the most goals ever at Docklands (i think still holds the record), Hayes as well is due consideration, the rest I would say no, otherwise you could go back a few more years and say Fraser Gehrig too, Aussie Jones perhaps, Luke Ball too who is probably on the same level as Nick Dal Santo.

But is the same for any team who has been around for 100+ years, gotta be someone special to crack the team and bar Riewoldt for us, Pendlebury perhaps for Collingwood (dont know how deep their century team is) and maybe Rance for Richmond by the time his career is over, there are not many standouts.

For a team with such low periods and few high ones our team of the century has a surprising amount of depth. Sure Milne looks good with the most goals ever at Docklands (i think still holds the record), Hayes as well is due consideration, the rest I would say no, otherwise you could go back a few more years and say Fraser Gehrig too, Aussie Jones perhaps, Luke Ball too who is probably on the same level as Nick Dal Santo.

But is the same for any team who has been around for 100+ years, gotta be someone special to crack the team and bar Riewoldt for us, Pendlebury perhaps for Collingwood (dont know how deep their century team is) and maybe Rance for Richmond by the time his career is over, there are not many standouts.

Five of the players I named are among the top ten for games played for St Kilda. That provides a clear point of differentiation compared with Gehrig (145 games), Jones (226 games) and Ball (142 games). Longest servicing, great stats and successful period are a pretty potent mix when it comes to selecting these teams.

Though I do agree that St Kilda's TOC is pretty good given the lengthy periods spent towards the bottom. I'm often surprised by just how many Brownlow Medals have been won by St Kilda players.

I find the newer clubs pre-2000 are being under-represented in previous posts. I have far more additions in teams like Freo who have players like Mayne (as much as it hurts) who was an important forward when they were contenders. I've underlined current best 22.

Port Adelaide (post 1997)

FB Wilson Wakelin Cassisi
HB P Burgoyne C Cornes Pickett
C S Burgoyne K Cornes Wanganeen
HF Gray Tredrea Dew
F Wingard Schultz Lade
Foll Primus(c) Boak Francou
Int Hardwick Wines Westhoff Bra Ebert

All time - i.e. we are not a new team
FB Dick Russell John Abley Ted Whelan
HB Neville Hayes Greg Phillips Geof Motley
C Craig Bradley Russell Ebert John Cahill
HF Dave Boyd "Bro" Dayman Harold Oliver
FF Scott Hodges Tim Evans Bob Quinn
Foll Russell Johnston "Bull" Reval Fos Williams
Int Harry Phillips Jeff Potter Peter Woite Lloyd Zucker
Coach Fos Williams

About Bob Quinn

Alternatively just name our 1914 team that went through the year undefeated and then won Champions of Australia.
1914_620_620X370.jpg

Port Adelaide's 1914 team (L-R):
Back: A.J. Maynard, W.I.Boon, J.C.Dunn, C.A. Anderson, H.V. Pope, J.C. Watson;
Middle: F.J. Magor, J. Middleton, W.H. Oliver (vice-captain), J.W. Londrigan, J. Ashley, J.W. Robertson, A. McFarlane;
Front: S. Hosking, H. Eaton, A. Congear, A. Chaplin, W. R. Drummond

Notable victories in 1914
SAFL Grand Final

Port Adelaide 13.15 (93) def
North Adelaide 1.8 (14)
Adelaide Oval
Combined State Game
Port Adelaide 14.14 (98) def
Combined S.A. 5.10 (40)
Jubilee Oval
Championship of Australia
Port Adelaide 9.16 (70) def
Carlton 5.6 (36)
Adelaide Oval

Last edited:
I find the newer clubs pre-2000 are being under-represented in previous posts. I have far more additions in teams like Freo who have players like Mayne (as much as it hurts) who was an important forward when they were contenders. I've underlined current best 22.

Fremantle
Hayden McPharlin Tarrant
Mi Johnson Parker Ibbotson
Barlow
Fyfe S Hill
Mayne
Pavlich(c) Walters
Farmer Modra Ballantyne
Sandilands
Mundy Neale
Bell Hasleby Crowley McManus
Emerg: Allan D Pearce Grover

I agree with your thoughts generally but you've gone way overboard here, there was some talent in the late 90s/early 00s sides, it is just the depth that was absolute dogshit.

There's a few i'd choose over Crowley, Ibbo, Mayne, Ballantyne and maybe even Barlow. Haselby definitely starts over Neale, who probably doesn't make the team quite yet. Parker wasn't in the league of McPharlin/Johnson/Tarrant (down back) and that team is too tall in defence.

Black needs to be in the team. McPhee and Duffield are both ahead of Ibbo on talent and career. J.Longmuir and Clem Michael should both make it, even though they're kind of fighting for a similar spot. Headland absolutely makes it on talent, even if he was inconsistent (mind you so was Mayne and Crowley was lucky not to be de-listed halfway through his career). Waterhouse is also a debatable choice (only 18 goals less than Mayne in 66 less games, had the ability to turn a match which Mayne has never). I'd personally have Josh Carr ahead of Shauny Mac too. Much better player even if he spent less time with us.

Hayden McPharlin McPhee
MJ Tarrant Black
Barlow Fyfe S Hill
Headland Pavlich(c) Walters
Farmer Modra Waterhouse

Sandilands Mundy Haselby

Bell J.Carr J.Longmuir Michael

Emg: Neale

I'm sure there are some cases based on establishment players as well.

HF Gray Tredrea Dew
F Wingard Schultz Lade

Silk and Wanganeen on wings???

Wines has played how many game of footy for the club???

I agree with your thoughts generally but you've gone way overboard here, there was some talent in the late 90s/early 00s sides, it is just the depth that was absolute dogshit.

There's a few i'd choose over Crowley, Ibbo, Mayne, Ballantyne and maybe even Barlow. Haselby definitely starts over Neale, who probably doesn't make the team quite yet. Parker wasn't in the league of McPharlin/Johnson/Tarrant (down back) and that team is too tall in defence.

Black needs to be in the team. McPhee and Duffield are both ahead of Ibbo on talent and career. J.Longmuir and Clem Michael should both make it, even though they're kind of fighting for a similar spot. Headland absolutely makes it on talent, even if he was inconsistent (mind you so was Mayne and Crowley was lucky not to be de-listed halfway through his career). Waterhouse is also a debatable choice (only 18 goals less than Mayne in 66 less games, had the ability to turn a match which Mayne has never). I'd personally have Josh Carr ahead of Shauny Mac too. Much better player even if he spent less time with us.

Hayden McPharlin McPhee
MJ Tarrant Black
Barlow Fyfe S Hill
Headland Pavlich(c) Walters
Farmer Modra Waterhouse

Sandilands Mundy Haselby

Bell J.Carr J.Longmuir Michael

Emg: Neale

I'm sure there are some cases based on establishment players as well.
Neale is a better player already than Hasleby. He's played about 100 quality games for you now. Waterhouse played about the same amount of awful games.

I really don't rate Black, McPhee, Headland or Waterhouse. Flaky as * players.

The contribution of Crowley as heart-on-sleeve player can not be overstated.

Mayne sits where on your all-time goalkicking list? About 4th I believe and an important cog in your finals push.

I think you're underselling Parker's ability to hold together your defense for years.

Carr and Longmuir were certainly considered and unlucky to not make the 25.

I think Duffield pissed me off in Supercoach too much. At his best, Ibbotson has been a very good back flanker. Seems to have dropped off a bit lately. Maybe an argument there to ditch him from the team.

Clem Michael? Lol.

I didn't change how un_eggs posted the side.
Yeh needs some changes.
I picked the side as best to fit those that deserved a spot. Those 2 blokes are effectively extra midfielders. I also put Sewell back pocket for the Hawks despite him being at his best as a mid because I know if I chose a Hawks squad I'd pick him there ahead of Andy Collins.

Wines is already at a level above your bit-part mids of the past such as Carr and Kingsley.

HF Gray Tredrea Dew
F Wingard Schultz Lade

All time - i.e. we are not a new team
FB Dick Russell John Abley Ted Whelan
HB Neville Hayes Greg Phillips Geof Motley
C Craig Bradley Russell Ebert John Cahill
HF Dave Boyd "Bro" Dayman Harold Oliver
FF Scott Hodges Tim Evans Bob Quinn
Foll Russell Johnston "Bull" Reval Fos Williams
Int Harry Phillips Jeff Potter Peter Woite Lloyd Zucker
Coach Fos Williams

About Bob Quinn

Alternatively just name our 1914 team that went through the year undefeated and then won Champions of Australia.
1914_620_620X370.jpg

Port Adelaide's 1914 team (L-R):
Back: A.J. Maynard, W.I.Boon, J.C.Dunn, C.A. Anderson, H.V. Pope, J.C. Watson;
Middle: F.J. Magor, J. Middleton, W.H. Oliver (vice-captain), J.W. Londrigan, J. Ashley, J.W. Robertson, A. McFarlane;
Front: S. Hosking, H. Eaton, A. Congear, A. Chaplin, W. R. Drummond

Notable victories in 1914
SAFL Grand Final

Port Adelaide 13.15 (93) def
North Adelaide 1.8 (14)
Adelaide Oval
Combined State Game
Port Adelaide 14.14 (98) def
Combined S.A. 5.10 (40)
Jubilee Oval
Championship of Australia
Port Adelaide 9.16 (70) def
Carlton 5.6 (36)
Adelaide Oval

Sorry to offend by the way. Should've said 'new to the competition'.

Neale is a better player already than Hasleby. He's played about 100 quality games for you now. Waterhouse played about the same amount of awful games.

I really don't rate Black, McPhee, Headland or Waterhouse. Flaky as **** players.

The contribution of Crowley as heart-on-sleeve player can not be overstated.

Mayne sits where on your all-time goalkicking list? About 4th I believe and an important cog in your finals push.

I think you're underselling Parker's ability to hold together your defense for years.

Carr and Longmuir were certainly considered and unlucky to not make the 25.

I think Duffield pissed me off in Supercoach too much. At his best, Ibbotson has been a very good back flanker. Seems to have dropped off a bit lately. Maybe an argument there to ditch him from the team.

Clem Michael? Lol.

Disagree with everything you've said there mate. Not sure how much of us you watched throughout that period to come to those conclusions.

Haselby was basically a slightly worse Fyfe for a decent run there, right down to his ability to go forwards and out-mark whichever KPD picked him up. I'd back him in as our second best inside mid ever. Which does kind of say something about the club but hey.

Crowley played a massive amount of average games as a 3rd tall forward/occasional mid, was crap, was almost de-listed and had 3 good seasons as a tagger. That's it. There is no sane way you can fit him in to that midfield rotation in the role of a tagger.

Mayne is on the goalkicking list by virtue of games played only and couldn't even crack our current team. He literally had 2 good years, which is even more of an argument against him than the players you list as flaky. Which I would absolutely agree that they were, they just had more football talent and actually had the capacity to produce a match-winning performance. I would take them in the current side over Mayne every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Parker was an excellent soldier but is a solid 4th in the KPD stakes behind McPharlin, Johnson and Tarrant. He wasn't good enough on the smalls to play with those and wasn't a good enough kick to play a flanker role, he was an out and out KPD at the time.

Duffield I am personally torn on, but I struggle to remember a better kick (except Black) out of the myriad potato half back flankers we had for years. Ibbo can't kick that well and is a glacially slow decision maker. No point having him there when you have MJ playing a 3rd tall role.

Clem Michael sticks out as possibly in the top 10 naturally talented footballers to play for us. Maybe that's my biased recollection looking back 18 odd years but hey. J.Lo is probably a better choice for backup ruck.

Hawks official team of the century:

B: Ayres, Moore, Mills
HB: Austen, Mew, Knights
C: Dipper, Bohan, Edwards
HF: Arthur, Brereton, Buckenara
F: Dunstall, Hudson, Platten
R: Scott, Tuck, Matthews
Int: Langford, Law, Salmon, Simmonds

My changes (Salmon brilliant I know, but didn't play enough games for us to warrant keeping him in):
OUT: Simmonds (Midfield), Salmon (Forward), Mills (Backman), Law (Mid), Edwards (Mid)
IN: Mitchell (Midfield), Franklin (Forward), Hodge (Backman), Crawford (Mid), Burgoyne (Mid)

Cyril Rioli, by the end of his career, may have done enough to justify omitting Graham Arthur or Gary Buckenara. They would be tough calls - the forward line is absolutely jam packed. Rough is unlucky.

My Hawks GOAT team:

B: Ayres, Moore, Hodge
HB: Austen, Mew, Knights
C: Dipper, Bohan, Crawford
HF: Arthur, Brereton, Buckenara
F: Dunstall, Hudson, Platten
R: Scott, Tuck, Matthews
Int: Langford, Burgoyne, Franklin, Mitchell

No way in hell Arthur gets the flick. Kanga holds him as Lethal's equal and that is some of the highest praise you can receive.

It's going to be one tough team to break in to. Langford on the bench says it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back