Cy Walsh Sentenced To Life In A Mental Institution

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not quite, he's being treated for MS which is fine, his lawyer may argue for more release but the prosecution isn't having it http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-23/cy-walsh-granted-day-release-for-ms-treatment/9790710
Yes, but that release is only supervised by a couple of carers, not guards. And there is the suggestion that if it goes well then further conditional release is a possibility. This guy committed an extremely aggravated murder 4 years ago. I'm happy that his medication appears to be working but he should only leave a secure facility under full guard in my opinion.

The court will review the order in September, to assess his compliance.

Ms Johnson said if Walsh was responding well to the supervised medical leave she would then seek to further relax his conditions.

Yes, but that release is only supervised by a couple of carers, not guards. And there is the suggestion that if it goes well then further conditional release is a possibility. This guy committed an extremely aggravated murder 4 years ago. I'm happy that his medication appears to be working but he should only leave a secure facility under full guard in my opinion.
Ms Johnson is his lawyer, of course she's going to argue that. It's her job.

Doesn't mean it is any chance of happening.

Ms Johnson is his lawyer, of course she's going to argue that. It's her job.

Doesn't mean it is any chance of happening.
True. Still this from the judge.
"[The psychiatrists] consider he is ready to be offered the opportunity to show he can be trusted in the community with limited freedom and this is necessary for his ongoing rehabilitation," Justice Bampton said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from the physical therapy sessions designed to teach you strengthening and exercises most treatment could be done in-house

Of the treatment options most can be done within a secure environment. Most treatments are mostly easement and not cures as there currently is no cure for MS

The use of physical therapies and oral treatments are the most recommended.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-sclerosis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350274

Physical therapy. A physical or occupational therapist can teach you stretching and strengthening exercises and show you how to use devices to make it easier to perform daily tasks.

Physical therapy along with the use of a mobility aid when necessary can also help manage leg weakness and other gait problems often associated with MS.

Beta interferons. These medications are among the most commonly prescribed medications to treat MS. They are injected under the skin or into muscle and can reduce the frequency and severity of relapses.

Side effects of beta interferons may include flu-like symptoms and injection-site reactions.

You'll need blood tests to monitor your liver enzymes because liver damage is a possible side effect of interferon use. People taking interferons may develop neutralizing antibodies that can reduce drug effectiveness.

Treatment for attacks
  • Corticosteroids, such as oral prednisone and intravenous methylprednisolone, are prescribed to reduce nerve inflammation. Side effects may include insomnia, increased blood pressure, mood swings and fluid retention.
  • Plasma exchange (plasmapheresis). The liquid portion of part of your blood (plasma) is removed and separated from your blood cells. The blood cells are then mixed with a protein solution (albumin) and put back into your body. Plasma exchange may be used if your symptoms are new, severe and haven't responded to steroids.

Apart from the physical therapy sessions designed to teach you strengthening and exercises most treatment could be done in-house
Having worked at James Nash I suggest the medical treatment inpatients have access to is extremely limited. The doctors are psychiatrists. The nursing staff are not nurses, they are mental health nurses. James Nash is not an appropriate venue for adequate MS treatment.

The poor bugger has schizophrenia AND multiple sclerosis. It's actually quite a rare combination. Imagine living with those conditions and also living with the guilt of murdering your own family member, it's a hard life he has to live for the rest of time.

I hope it's long and painful.

Having worked at James Nash I suggest the medical treatment inpatients have access to is extremely limited. The doctors are psychiatrists. The nursing staff are not nurses, they are mental health nurses. James Nash is not an appropriate venue for adequate MS treatment.
Handing out medication can be. A lot of self-monitoring can be done in secure facilities

I assume the external visits is for the physical therapy

I hope it's long and painful.
His conditions alone would be more painful than the prison sentence I would imagine. I don't think a lot of people realise how frightening it can be living in the world of mental illness. And then he gets MS to top it off! MS is something similarly akin to motor neurone disease, where you get a gradual decline in your limb/neural function. It won't be a fun life to have this double whammy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back