Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No a bid always uses the highest pick as the priority, stops clubs from stock piling late picks to make up the numbers
Even with the 20% discount? Wouldn't that make him chaeper than our pick 9 and the points reduction can be used to get him later?

Why wouldn't we trade pick 9 if that was the case?

Even with the 20% discount? Wouldn't that make him chaeper than our pick 9 and the points reduction can be used to get him later?

Why wouldn't we trade pick 9 if that was the case?
Trading pick 9 makes a heap of sense for you guys unless the cub is certain a bid will come later on, im not sure how the 20% discount works in that situation, it may push up your 2nd pick but their are better people to ask that exact information rather than myself.

Pie 4 Life ?

Trading pick 9 makes a heap of sense for you guys unless the cub is certain a bid will come later on, im not sure how the 20% discount works in that situation, it may push up your 2nd pick but their are better people to ask that exact information rather than myself.

Pie 4 Life ?
Thanks - I have read it a few times but still not sure of what will happen.

If Rozee was still available not sure the Crows would bid on Thomas. Still every chance we end up with pick 7 with ess and crows looking much better than us.

If Rozee was still available not sure the Crows would bid on Thomas. Still every chance we end up with pick 7 with ess and crows looking much better than us.
I think you guys will match any bid for Thomas so clubs like Crows still might use that to their advantage, they could bank in Rozee anyway. If you do get 7 you may not get that bid but if I’m North I wouldn’t even risk it and try trading that pick maybe even for a future 1st rounder. Crows might even been keen on that deal to try and get as many top picks in this draft as possible with all the SA talent available this year early on.

I think you guys will match any bid for Thomas so clubs like Crows still might use that to their advantage, they could bank in Rozee anyway. If you do get 7 you may not get that bid but if I’m North I wouldn’t even risk it and try trading that pick maybe even for a future 1st rounder. Crows might even been keen on that deal to try and get as many top picks in this draft as possible with all the SA talent available this year early on.
The player I think the Crows might put a bid in on is Will Kelly, depending on how he finishes out the year possibly even our 2nd round pick [19] we got back from Carlton in the Gibbs trade. We are a bit skinny in KPD's.

That's pretty clever.

I love for Dockers to trade our 2019 first round for North's 2018 first round pick if it's a top 10 pick. Maybe, Fremantle agrees to not bid on Thomas.

Pie 4 Life ?
20% is only if the bid comes in the first round. Think it’s 10% after that. It’s about the bid rather than whether you trade picks or not.

If the Crows bid on Thomas can't we still use pick 9 on a player and later points to get Thomas? Effectively getting 2 top 10 players for the loss of later picks?
No. As D_P_S mentioned, you have to use your next available pick.

Pie 4 Life ?
20% is only if the bid comes in the first round. Think it’s 10% after that. It’s about the bid rather than whether you trade picks or not.

First round receives a discount of 20%.

From second round on, there is a fixed discount of 187 points (going from memory on the points figure).

If a bid comes in the first round, and the matching team has points left over after matching the bid, those points are held over to be used on any other bids made on players for that club. If not used by the end of the draft I think the club loses them, don't recall reading anything about them being carried over to future drafts.

If a bid comes in the second round, and there are points left over from matching a bid, then those points generate a later pick. Say a club has 67 points left over after matching a bid at pick 23, then that generates a pick that will slot in at pick 68, the original pick 68 gets pushed back to pick 69, and every subsequent pick is also pushed back one spot.

Hope that's clear enough.

Does North have any later F/S or academy kids that might be bid. I know Bailey Scott has yet to nominate a club. Just looked it up, North also have Matthew McGuinness and Rhyan Mansell as NGA kids, so if a bid came in for McGuinness, the first points used to match the bid would be any left over points from matching a bid on Thomas.

As I said on the Lions board, I would trade our 2019 first and our 2018 third round picks to North for their 2018 first round pick and their 2019 third round pick. But Noble has already said that he's not keen on the Lions trading future picks, especially first round picks.

No. As D_P_S mentioned, you have to use your next available pick.

First round receives a discount of 20%.

From second round on, there is a fixed discount of 187 points (going from memory on the points figure).

If a bid comes in the first round, and the matching team has points left over after matching the bid, those points are held over to be used on any other bids made on players for that club. If not used by the end of the draft I think the club loses them, don't recall reading anything about them being carried over to future drafts.

If a bid comes in the second round, and there are points left over from matching a bid, then those points generate a later pick. Say a club has 67 points left over after matching a bid at pick 23, then that generates a pick that will slot in at pick 68, the original pick 68 gets pushed back to pick 69, and every subsequent pick is also pushed back one spot.

Hope that's clear enough.

Does North have any later F/S or academy kids that might be bid. I know Bailey Scott has yet to nominate a club. Just looked it up, North also have Matthew McGuinness and Rhyan Mansell as NGA kids, so if a bid came in for McGuinness, the first points used to match the bid would be any left over points from matching a bid on Thomas.

As I said on the Lions board, I would trade our 2019 first and our 2018 third round picks to North for their 2018 first round pick and their 2019 third round pick. But Noble has already said that he's not keen on the Lions trading future picks, especially first round picks.

I have said something similar on the Geelong board about those proposed trades.. I also have said it could be interesting if they introduce "In Drafr" trades. Id imagine a situation where North could trade in draft to avoid using an early pick on TT.

I have said something similar on the Geelong board about those proposed trades.. I also have said it could be interesting if they introduce "In Drafr" trades. Id imagine a situation where North could trade in draft to avoid using an early pick on TT.
They can only make the trade before the bid is made. If a team bids on Thomas, they can’t then trade out their pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can only make the trade before the bid is made. If a team bids on Thomas, they can’t then trade out their pick.

I think clubs will have a fair idea when bids are coming. There's only realistically 3-4 clubs that can do it.

North might have to cough up decent future picks to move ahead of a Thomas bid, but it's far more realistic than last year by just doing it in the trade period.

Im sure there will be lots of clever stuff tried or at least thought about... all it needs is two clubs that can see the advantage for them of the deals ..
Imagine Geelong finish top4 (p15) and North finish 11th (p9) obviously this doesn't work atm when Geelong have P10 and North have p9.. but you can see where im going.

Pre draft... North trade their r1 to Geelong for their R1 2019+ R3 2018... then in draft... before Geelong's R1... they trade their R1 to North for Geelong's 2019 R1 and Norths 2019 R2

Geelong moves up the draft to Norths position.. and gains a 2019 R2
North move down the in the first round but keep a R1 pick.. and get xtra points TT for points from late picks...

After the the deal that Carlton and Hawthorn did to get Omera... I cant see the afl ever knocking back any deal

Im sure there will be lots of clever stuff tried or at least thought about... all it needs is two clubs that can see the advantage for them of the deals ..
Imagine Geelong finish top4 (p15) and North finish 11th (p9) obviously this doesn't work atm when Geelong have P10 and North have p9.. but you can see where im going.

Pre draft... North trade their r1 to Geelong for their R1 2019+ R3 2018... then in draft... before Geelong's R1... they trade their R1 to North for Geelong's 2019 R1 and Norths 2019 R2

Geelong moves up the draft to Norths position.. and gains a 2019 R2
North move down the in the first round but keep a R1 pick.. and get xtra points TT for points from late picks...

After the the deal that Carlton and Hawthorn did to get Omera... I cant see the afl ever knocking back any deal

Hypothetically Fremantle have the pick before North this year.

No Thomas bid yet at #6.

Whats to stop Bond sending Joyce a sneaky message saying "Thomas bid incoming, make it worth our while and don't bid on XYZ?"

North trade pick 7 & 2019 second rounder for Pick 6.

North take Smith @ #6, Fremantle take Hill @7 and bank the 2019 pick. Thomas bid comes next pick, consumes remaining picks.

North have essentially traded for Smith for a 2019 second rounder.

No Thomas bid yet at #6.

Whats to stop Bond sending Joyce a sneaky message saying "Thomas bid incoming, make it worth our while and don't bid on XYZ?"

North take Smith @ #6, Fremantle take Hill @7 and bank the 2019 pick. Thomas bid comes next pick, consumes remaining picks.

As I said the afl will have to be on their toes...

No Thomas bid yet at #6.

Can't see why that would be an issue.
The AFL set the rules, they have to play by them.
Sucks balls for everyone else but as a Freo person I'd be all over that like a rash...although do love Smith :(

The Crows will bid on Thomas I think. Hamish loves him, and he also has a soft spot for Tasmanians, as he is one himself. Listen to the Road to the draft podcast with him on it. Have been following him since he was 12.

The Crows will bid on Thomas I think. Hamish loves him, and he also has a soft spot for Tasmanians, as he is one himself. Listen to the Road to the draft podcast with him on it. Have been following him since he was 12.
There are some good SA kids - I would be surprised if a Rankine or even Rozee was available they would bid on Thomas.

Put in a bid on Thomas then draft Chayce Jones :moustache:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back