Injury Dane Swan

Remove this Banner Ad

"The 2011 Brownlow medallist says he doesn't know if he'll fully recover from breaking three bones in his right foot in Collingwood's season-opening loss to the Sydney Swans."

Yeah... playing again in 2016 is a pipedream.

Agree even to the extent of saying he is a level or 2 above Daics. Daics never dominated the competition like Swanny did.

Huh? You serious?

Daicos is the best player ever to pull on the black and white.

Go through his stats. 76 goals as a mid.

Watch his games. Was an out and super star. Only thing he couldn't do was ruck. Had his body not been stuffed we would have seen even more.

Swan is one of best ever. To say that he's above daicos is wrong.

He was that good that in one 6 week period he kicked 42 goals.

Good small forwards are lucky if they can kick 60-70 in a season.

Daicos was an absolute marvel, in every sense of the word.

Last edited:
"The 2011 Brownlow medallist says he doesn't know if he'll fully recover from breaking three bones in his right foot in Collingwood's season-opening loss to the Sydney Swans."

Yeah... playing again in 2016 is a pipedream.
No s**t.

If you want to see Swanny play again, better hope we're competitive enough this year that he still thinks we can win a flag in 2017.

Agree even to the extent of saying he is a level or 2 above Daics. Daics never dominated the competition like Swanny did.
Sorry GC but there is no way on earth I can agree with that. Daics was clearly the best player in my lifetime and that's nearing 60 years. Swanny is definitely one of the greats but definitely a rung or two below Daics.

Sorry GC but there is no way on earth I can agree with that. Daics was clearly the best player in my lifetime and that's nearing 60 years. Swanny is definitely one of the greats but definitely a rung or two below Daics.
Not far off that age myself so I guess we have seen the same field. Bucks is a clear no 1 for mine. Next would come the likes of Thompson, Moore, McKenna, Greening and Carman. The latter 2 with an * for different reasons. All this group could lay claim, even for a short time with the *, to be in the dominant player of the competition or within the best few. Swanny lives with these players for mine. Daics comes in behind these. Mercurial, fantastic to watch, but never quite in the group you would have as the very best of their era.

Must suck for Swanny being couchbound.

Maybe he needs a bit of inspiration to keep him entertained during this period of extended convalescence?

I'll kick it off ...

(1) Ballroom dancing ...

Pros: Great way to keep fit, popular with the ladies
Cons: Not ready to lose him to AFL just yet.

(2) Roman Rings gymnastics ...

Pros: Great for maintaining upper body strength
Cons: He's not going to be landing anytime soon :oops:

(3) Guest mod on BigFooty ...

76woodenspooners said:
The problem Buckley's gameplan is ...
Swanny said:
Mate STFU your talking s**t
Red card
76woodenspooners said:
I am not worthy :(

Pros: It'll raise our standards
Cons: Risk of dragging him down to our level?

He was that good that in one 6 week period he kicked 42 goals.

This would to be the period (can't remember when but maybe late 91?) when Daics and Ablett were the talk of the footy world for their freakish (and plain old freaky) scoring exploits, so that must shed some light on those who are too young to remember - that when his body couldn't stand up to the rigours of on-ball play, he went forward and shared the limelight with a player many consider the best ever.
He was a sensational player, the best I've seen in black and white, and I often could only hear that he was tearing it up from my position at the Dights Falls end as the members went off at Daics doing something impossible in the pocket....

Not far off that age myself so I guess we have seen the same field. Bucks is a clear no 1 for mine. Next would come the likes of Thompson, Moore, McKenna, Greening and Carman. The latter 2 with an * for different reasons. All this group could lay claim, even for a short time with the *, to be in the dominant player of the competition or within the best few. Swanny lives with these players for mine. Daics comes in behind these. Mercurial, fantastic to watch, but never quite in the group you would have as the very best of their era.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. All good!

97 goals in 1990 alone puts Daicos in rarefied air. He possessed a freaky ability to do the impossible, and he did so consistently. I'd never question your choices as examples of brilliant Collingwood players, but Daics is right there if not above them. Agree to disagree here as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is subjective but I have daicos no 1, buckley and swan 2 & 3.

Buckley and swan are engine room players, super consistent the type you can build a midfield around, you'll get 30 touches when you win and 30 touches when you lose.

daicos though was a pure match winner, would have enormous influence on the outcome, those players are rare and for me thats why he gets the chocolates.

It's crazy difficult to compare players from different eras.

For example: Peter Daicos - where was his defensive pressure? 1990 season, played 25 games, laid only 34 tackles. By contrast Alex Fasolo last year (one of our worst defensive forwards?) laid 49 tackles in 17 games.

Nobody gave a toss about defensive pressure in the forward line in 1990. But today it is a critical part of the modern game. So how to compare?

When it comes to the highlights reel, there has been no better than Peter Daicos. But when you add in the meat and potatoes stuff, other players do come up to his level. Players like Swanny.

In the history of the game the only player to hold a candle to daicos is Gary Ablett Snr.
Bucks, swan, Pendles etc are a long way off.

For example: Peter Daicos - where was his defensive pressure? 1990 season, played 25 games, laid only 34 tackles. By contrast Alex Fasolo last year (one of our worst defensive forwards?) laid 49 tackles in 17 games.

Nobody gave a toss about defensive pressure in the forward line in 1990. But today it is a critical part of the modern game. So how to compare?

When it comes to the highlights reel, there has been no better than Peter Daicos. But when you add in the meat and potatoes stuff, other players do come up to his level. Players like Swanny.

Swan as much of a legend as he is can't claim to have an "A grade" defensive game either. Nor did G. Ablett Snr. :) I think that just comes with the territory.

I think this is one of those instances where stats aren't telling the story. The consistency of Swan's numbers don't tell us about the way he has willed himself into contests time and time again, about his strength over the ball and his game-saving bursts from the middle.

Similarly, the numbers of Daicos don't tell us about the way in which he changed the very idea of what was seen as possible on a football field. The 'creativeness' of players in the modern game (which boils down to finding different ways of utilising less and less space) is a legacy of players like Daicos. It also doesn't tell us much about the presence of Daicos (or players like Ablett snr), and the particular sense of danger and awe they inspired. These things are intangible, but they're no less real for that, and it's what guarantees these sorts of players are more esteemed place in the pantheon.

Swan as much of a legend as he is can't claim to have an "A grade" defensive game either. Nor did G. Ablett Snr. :) I think that just comes with the territory.

Totally, 100%!

And you'd have to wonder if some of the stars of yesteryear would even get a game today?

And that would be unfair on them - a player can only compete against blokes he shares the field with.

Daicos would kick them with players hanging off him, pushing him, squirrel gripping him. He didn't need to apply pressure. He was the pressure.

Daicos would kick them with players hanging off him, pushing him, squirrel gripping him. He didn't need to apply pressure. He was the pressure.

Quoted and in bold for emphasis and awesomeness.

The requirement to defend is reduced if you have a Daics in the forward line. Similar to Didak (at his best) in that respect, as an example that the younger guys can relate to.

Totally, 100%!

And you'd have to wonder if some of the stars of yesteryear would even get a game today?

And that would be unfair on them - a player can only compete against blokes he shares the field with.
In fairness to those players of yesteryear, forward defensive pressure was flat out not emphasized anywhere close to what it is these days.

Under a modern system, I see no reason why those players couldn't have that defensive game too. It's not really fair to compare sides of the game that are so different from era to era. Ball winning and scoring goals though? Not much has changed there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back