Opinion Dangerfield is Injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree with this. I also think he was just about the slowest player on the field today. He was chased down on a lot of occasions where he usually breaks free and the pies Mids easily outran him with the pill. It's very un danger like and its currently a liability to the team. I'd rather someone come in and add some defensive pressure at least. Give him a week off or play him a full forward.

The Roughead knee to the ribs is very likely to have cracked a couple or at least severe bruising. Played out the game which is common as the real pain starts when you cool down
I suspect he will need 3-4 weeks before he can breathe properly again. Time is the only healer unfortunately.

Yeah, his back continued to get worse yet those who hold degrees and work with him every single day said rest would do nothing for him.
Perhaps you know more than they do?

That argument just smacks of "I don't dare criticise the club so I'll defend them no matter what".

The decisions are validated by events. When a player misses the first final due to the same injury that is apparently being 'managed', the strategy has failed. Otherwise you're just an apologist.

Do you think Parfitt should go out of the team? He looked like he grabbed his hamstring, but as none of us are doctors apparently we shouldn't have an opinion on that. That's the same logic.

Remember a few years ago when Hawkins was playing with a dodgy back, but it wasn't an injury that could deteriorate simply through playing, and it wasn't like we had a better key forward waiting in the reserves?

Same deal.

Who cares if he isn't at his best. He's still better than anyone likely to come in and better than a lot of his fully fit teammates today.

Hawkins had buldging disc (2013) in his back which will be a constant problem for the rest of his career.

And it was every chance to deteriorate by keeping him playing and make it worse. They were just managing the inflammation as best they could to keep him on the park.

I am not relating this to the danger situation I'm not sure what's going on with him. So many niggles are possible.

Whats really worrying is the club seems to have this attitude too and dont seem to believe that injuries can get worse if he plays week in week out. There is a difference between staying flexible and playing crash and bash football. A rest doesn't mean sitting in bed for a week.
Agree with all your concerns except this one. The club performance team is totally into every parameter of every player, and Danger would be exceptionally scrutinised by them. IF they deem him fit to start, it is not based on who we are playing. MC etc overruling a medical decision is a no can do.

That argument just smacks of "I don't dare criticise the club so I'll defend them no matter what".

The decisions are validated by events. When a player misses the first final due to the same injury that is apparently being 'managed', the strategy has failed. Otherwise you're just an apologist.

Do you think Parfitt should go out of the team? He looked like he grabbed his hamstring, but as none of us are doctors apparently we shouldn't have an opinion on that. That's the same logic.
With respect, totally different situations and that is crucial in these discussions. Hammy tears are the #1 injury in AFL, and are a dramatic observable injury. LBP is common enough, difficult to give a diagnosis commonly as well, and if there is no sciatica (leg pain) is managed according to symptoms. It is highly variable day to day , week to week, and some days, just getting out of bed can induce spasm, as can a plane flight, or a long car/bus trip.
Missing that final- we do not know the details on that day, but we do know he underwent optimal management leading up to that.

We sore Parfitt tear his hamstring and the club confirmed his hamstring tear .

We did not see what aggravated Hawkins lower back before the QF and the club told us 1 week was enough to cover between games .

Hawkins could of aggravated his back while he was sleeping the night before the game , happens to people with back problems all the time .

It is highly variable day to day , week to week, and some days, just getting out of bed can induce spasm, as can a plane flight, or a long car/bus trip.
Missing that final- we do not know the details on that day, but we do know he underwent optimal management leading up to that

This is the take home point , we have no idea what caused Hawkins to miss that QF .

It "smacks" of logic champ.
I'm not a professional, I don't work with the players, so who do I think I am making out I know more than they do?
Using the Parfitt example is typical hyperbole of which you are well versed in around here.
Feel free to be all arrogant and presume you know more about an athletes injury than the full time professionals around him.

Ok, do you or Seeds know what was wrong with Hawkins?
I don't know what was wrong with him in 2013 apart from back pain.

Similar here, firstly this thread is "opinion" there has been no confirmation from club or 3rd party that he is in fact injured as far as I'm aware. Secondly if he is injured, do you know what it is that's wrong with him?

Talk about rests and such is rather premature at this stage. We don't know what's wrong with him, if anything, as of yet.

I'm not a professional, I don't work with the players, so who do I think I am making out I know more than they do?
Using the Parfitt example is typical hyperbole of which you are well versed in around here.
Feel free to be all arrogant and presume you know more about an athletes injury than the full time professionals around him.
I don't think it's "arrogant". It's an opinion site. If no one speculates on things this board might as well be just articles cut and pasted from the GFC website and nothing else.
Unfortunately footy is a really results based business. If a player is being managed but playing all year then misses the first final that is about the worst possible result that could eventuate.
Doesn't matter what we know or don't know. The result is what we see, and it was terrible.

That's where you're leaping to conclusions.

No one on here that I've ever read - including VD, who really is an expert - have ever said we know more. Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on it though. Some may think it's still a previous era and you can get away with playing half fit players. Fair enough. I don't. I think the game is far too demanding, and opposition teams are too quick at identifying weaknesses. I'd also rather see Dangerfield at his best.

It's a different point of view. If you can't handle it tough s**t, it's not my problem.

That's where you're leaping to conclusions.

No one on here that I've ever read - including VD, who really is an expert - have ever said we know more. Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on it though. Some may think it's still a previous era and you can get away with playing half fit players. Fair enough. I don't. I think the game is far too demanding, and opposition teams are too quick at identifying weaknesses. I'd also rather see Dangerfield at his best.

It's a different point of view. If you can't handle it tough s**t, it's not my problem

2 way street there mate, you quoted me...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I disagree with your view. Remarkably enough the world won't stop spinning because of it.

As for Dangerfield, you may be right, in which case you'll get bragging rights.

That's my point, you disagree with me, I disagree with you.
I don't give 2 shits about bragging rights either, I only care about the GFC (atleast when it comes to BigFooty).

Agree with all your concerns except this one. The club performance team is totally into every parameter of every player, and Danger would be exceptionally scrutinised by them. IF they deem him fit to start, it is not based on who we are playing. MC etc overruling a medical decision is a no can do.
If he's got cracked ribs and they're in the process of healing, they can be broken or re-cracked, setting recovery back and possibly making it worse. The act of playing football will slow recovery and greatly increases the change of re-injury or making it worse compared to sitting in the stands and watching.

He got a crunch early in the St Kilda game and it noticeably slowed him after that. Why would you play a guy in round 6 who everybody knows has a rib problem? Every team will spend the first quarter going after it.

Damn.

I presume your source is good, so where to from here?
2nd hand via someone who apparently knows someone on the fitness staff, so take it for what it is.

He looks like he's running out of steam easily too which indicates a chest injury. Could be a mixture of both that won't heal any faster with rest but I'm no medico ... dubs might know more.

Word is OP
I don't doubt that is what your source told you but I doubt that info. If it actually is OP and it's in its early stages no way they play him through it at this stage of the year. Sounds much more like a tendinopathy if it actually is the groin region involved. Tendinopathy you don't want to unload fully but if it's legitimate OP, you do not play through that. I've managed many players with it, much more earlier days but the diagnosis of OP has gone out of vogue especially in physio (my field). It did go over diagnosed for a long long time in the past.

I don't doubt that is what your source told you but I doubt that info. If it actually is OP and it's in its early stages no way they play him through it at this stage of the year. Sounds much more like a tendinopathy if it actually is the groin region involved. Tendinopathy you don't want to unload fully but if it's legitimate OP, you do not play through that. I've managed many players with it, much more earlier days but the diagnosis of OP has gone out of vogue especially in physio (my field). It did go over diagnosed for a long long time in the past.
Is it still possible to play with it?

Is it still possible to play with it?
If it's legitimate OP which is the erosion of the public bone through the pulling of the adductor muscles (groin muscles) then no. What causes it is the kicking actions which place a unilateral load on the public bone. But to be able to get OP you need some underlying instability of the pelvis, and I would say very few AFL footballers would have this as they are stringently tested in pre season for this exact thing. Very common in adolescent footballers but not AFL players. If you remember back about 10 years ago there used to be a lot of OP diagnosis in the AFL which have now all but disappeared as that is not what is going on. I'm not ruling it out but I would be very surprised for it to be legitimate OP over a tendinopathy. But then again could just be his ribs, you would no better than me as I have no sources just going by knowledge in my field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back