macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
On the Sunday Roast on 5AA this morning Rowey interviewed David Mackay, who the AFC took at #48, and a very enjoyable interview it was too.

Firstly just so that we supporters and the commentators get it right, the last part of Mackay's surname is pronounced as Kay, same as the girls' name. Rhymes with HAY.

He's a Victorian Country lad who comes across as being sensible and mature for his age - spoke quite well for an 18 year old.

He said that even though it meant moving interstate, he was happy to be picked up by one of the best clubs in the competition in Adelaide. He described his strengths as pace, run, length of kick and accuracy of kick.

When asked to nominate the AFL type of player his game was similar to, he said Van Berlo and Reilly for Adelaide and Gilbee and one other I've forgotten for other clubs. He then said that of course no two players are exactly alike but essentially his game was based on getting the ball, run and disposal.

They then spoke to his mother Lisa, who really spoke well. She said that the family was excited that he had been drafted, particularly by a quality club like Adelaide, but there had been a lot of tears because he was going interstate. She did add that it was time for him to leave the nest though even they would miss him heaps.

She said that David is an extremely loyal lad with leadership qualities, and one got the impression from both the lad and mother Lisa that he will not be a fly-by-nighter.

A great interview which I thoroughly enjoyed, and while we can be confident that we have a player of the future when such good judges as Kevin Sheehan rate him as one of the best mid-fielders from Victoria this year, it was obvious that we have also drafted a quality young man with a good family background. :thumbsu:

Good stuff macca :thumbsu:

He said that even though it meant moving interstate, he was happy to be picked up by one of the best clubs in the competition in Adelaide.They then spoke to his mother Lisa, who really spoke well. She said that the family was excited that he had been drafted, particularly by a quality club like Adelaide
Its nice of them to say. Like visiting rock stars who are asked for their impressions of Australia when the furthest they have got is the airport press conference room...grain of salt here

, but there had been a lot of tears because he was going interstate. She did add that it was time for him to leave the nest though even they would miss him heaps
.Just dont bring out a record Ma

She said that David is an extremely loyal lad with leadership qualities, and one got the impression from both the lad and mother Lisa that he will not be a fly-by-nighter.
GOS again but its a good start
it was obvious that we have also drafted a quality young man with a good family background. :thumbsu:
Lets hope so, he could be the under the radar man

I went and watched the TAC grand final again obviously paying particular notice to McKay .....WOW on that performance I would have rated him the equal of Vince and Douglas.

Certainly very direct with where he runs and kicks and his disposal is long and accurate. Also very impressive is that he turns on both legs and is equally as comfortable on both sides of his body.

Definately a huge factor in Oakleighs win .....28 possessions and yes the comparison with Vince and Douglas is warranted (except I didn't see him lay a tackle :thumbsdown: )......plays inside and outside ...inside very quick hands dishing out handballs ...outside uses his leg speed.

So I went and watched the Vic Metro play Sth Aust in the U18 championships .....I watched 3 and a half qtrs ....don't think I've seen him get a possession yet :eek:

But I think we have something to work with.

Good stuff macca :thumbsu:

Its nice of them to say. Like visiting rock stars who are asked for their impressions of Australia when the furthest they have got is the airport press conference room...grain of salt here

I kinda disagree with that one, everyone knows which clubs are more professional than others. If I was being drafter while I'd prefer the Crows I wouldn't be totally upset to go to Sydney, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast. Clubs that seem to know what they're doing, have the best facilities and support. He may have never been here but in terms of clubs to go to he could do much worse than the Crows. Imagine moving interstate and ending up down the road*shudder*.

I kinda disagree with that one, everyone knows which clubs are more professional than others. If I was being drafter while I'd prefer the Crows I wouldn't be totally upset to go to Sydney, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast. Clubs that seem to know what they're doing, have the best facilities and support. He may have never been here but in terms of clubs to go to he could do much worse than the Crows. Imagine moving interstate and ending up down the road*shudder*.

I think that's a very valid and very good point.

You'd be a bit apprehensive if you were drafted by someone like Carlton or North Melbourne.

Where as the Crows or Sydney or WCE or Collingwood are all very professional Clubs who are known to be extremely well ran.

I went and watched the TAC grand final again obviously paying particular notice to McKay .....WOW on that performance I would have rated him the equal of Vince and Douglas.

Certainly very direct with where he runs and kicks and his disposal is long and accurate. Also very impressive is that he turns on both legs and is equally as comfortable on both sides of his body.

Definately a huge factor in Oakleighs win .....28 possessions and yes the comparison with Vince and Douglas is warranted (except I didn't see him lay a tackle :thumbsdown: )......plays inside and outside ...inside very quick hands dishing out handballs ...outside uses his leg speed.

So I went and watched the Vic Metro play Sth Aust in the U18 championships .....I watched 3 and a half qtrs ....don't think I've seen him get a possession yet :eek:

But I think we have something to work with.

Howd ya watch the TAC game mate?

If you were his family, you'd prefer it if stayed close to home. BUT otherwise you'd be happy going to go a good club, and not a rabble.

who wouldn't?
Exactly right.

I think he would have liked to remain in Victoria as well but since he is not, he is happy that he is coming to a good club with gat facilities that will get upgraded in the next couple of years.

His mom did say that he is a very loyal kid and she expect him to stay here long term so thats a bonus.

Good pickup by you guys. Won't find a more mature kid at his age, just very profesional about the way he goes about his footy. Will always give you what he's got. He's got great skills, and while he's not super quick he reads the play very well, and gets most of his possessions through hard-running to the right spots. While he played well in the TAC cup, it wasn't one of his better games and had played much better in the lead-up to the GF IMO. Reminds me a bit of Kade Simpson when he was first drafted. May take a while to get used to the tempo and physicality of AFL, but in time will prove to be a good pickup at #48. Will be no homesick issues what so ever IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will enjoy the last bit, he gets about 8 touches in the final quarter after getting 3 in the first three quarters. He played 89 minutes.

sounds quite good suddenly our midfield stocks are looking good for when macca, edwards, roo and goody retire.

knights, van berlo, douglas, vince, mattner, thompson, reilly, mackay, porplyzia.

not too bad if u ask me

There is someone over on the Drafts board who said that MacKay ran the 20m in 3.08 seconds. :eek: :eek:

Let's hope he's just slow off the mark, and he has decent speak over a longer distance. Still, not too promising as you need a good initial burst to get away from opponents.

There is someone over on the Drafts board who said that MacKay ran the 20m in 3.08 seconds. :eek: :eek:

Let's hope he's just slow off the mark, and he has decent speak over a longer distance. Still, not too promising as you need a good initial burst to get away from opponents.

3.08 is .. average really. Gibbs for example is around that mark for 20m. McKay isn't an athlete, more of a footballer. Good to see that we just don't look for athletes.

No......I don't want him to speak quicker.....we want him to run quicker ;)

Definately not slow but those legs are thin, not much muscle, ....he definately needs to build his leg muscles up.

I think he won't be too bad speed wise ....his game style is dependent on it ...gets away with it at U18 but I'd suggest AP he would be caught at AFL level

3.08 is .. average really. Gibbs for example is around that mark for 20m. McKay isn't an athlete, more of a footballer. Good to see that we just don't look for athletes.

And a reasonably smart one at that.....I think once supporters have seen him play they'll be very impressed

I think he is pretty quick, remember over 20m, you can slip or just have a bad run.

He is pretty quick, but what I like about him kost is his ability to hit a target with the footy. Picks out team-mates where you wouldn't think was possible. I like the Kid !

3.08 would be classed as slow in AFL terms. Hurn was deemed slow which was probably unfair but he ran 3.04 which is right on average (and he was 96kgs and overmuscled at the time of running).

Gibbs ran a 3.07 at the start of the year but ran 3.01 at the DC. Showing that times can be improved and I think alot just depends on the 'day'.

There is no point placing too much emphasis on draft times, they are run in a sterile enviroment on a basketball court. MacKay is probably smart enough to overcome any issues with his pace but he will never be quick and this will have to be kept in mind. Not sure he will ever be able to play on a wing against a quick player because he will get burnt in open space. Around the packs and congestion he will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back