Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan Stephens - Norwood, before the champs i had heard he was playing well for Norwood, i saw his stats and thought they were impressive, but i like to see performances to base a read on, so in the championships i thought he was underwhelming, i think i had him going late-mid first round, then after seeing him play for SA i felt like he didnt really have a good champs and so in my mind i dropped his rating, similarly with Cameron Taheny, i had him going early at one stage and then mid-late first round, but after the champs he dropped off for me.

i had seen Taheny, Pickett and Gould play SANFL/SANFL Reserves and so had an understanding of where they were at, but i never checked out Dylan Stephens until recently, i saw a bunch of highlights but also some replays of games and he is such a better player in the SANFL than he was at the champs, so even though i recently had him going around 20 or so, i think he is the best out and out winger in the draft pool and have him now probably inside the top 10, i dont know why he under performed so badly at the champs, but his speed and break away goal kicking from midfield is a weapon.

Dylan Stephens - Norwood, before the champs i had heard he was playing well for Norwood, i saw his stats and thought they were impressive, but i like to see performances to base a read on, so in the championships i thought he was underwhelming, i think i had him going late-mid first round, then after seeing him play for SA i felt like he didnt really have a good champs and so in my mind i dropped his rating, similarly with Cameron Taheny, i had him going early at one stage and then mid-late first round, but after the champs he dropped off for me.

i had seen Taheny, Pickett and Gould play SANFL/SANFL Reserves and so had an understanding of where they were at, but i never checked out Dylan Stephens until recently, i saw a bunch of highlights but also some replays of games and he is such a better player in the SANFL than he was at the champs, so even though i recently had him going around 20 or so, i think he is the best out and out winger in the draft pool and have him now probably inside the top 10, i dont know why he under performed so badly at the champs, but his speed and break away goal kicking from midfield is a weapon.

He was the best outside runner at the champs by a stretch & his left foot is a 55 meter weapon.

He was the best outside runner at the champs by a stretch & his left foot is a 55 meter weapon.

i thought he was underwhelming at the champs and i dont think i was alone in that opinion, but having seen some of his SANFL form has me change my opinion of him, at this stage i would think he is a pick around 7-15, if i had to update my read on him.

i thought he was underwhelming at the champs and i dont think i was alone in that opinion, but having seen some of his SANFL form has me change my opinion of him, at this stage i would think he is a pick around 7-15, if i had to update my read on him.
Most pundits see a top two. Do you see a division between 3-6 and after that?

Most pundits see a top two. Do you see a division between 3-6 and after that?

its a good question because ive been trying to figure out where the top group fall in the pecking order, just thinking on what i have seen from these players from the last 2 years i would personally rate them as:

elite: Rowell, Anderson and Kemp (i added Kemp after he stood out as a match winner in the champs and the fact i cant fault him, knee inj aside)
top 5: Ash, Green (im a huge fan of Ash, Greens performances as an inside mid are too good to ignore)
6-10: Serong, Young, Gould, D.Stephens, Flanders/L.Jackson (i really like all of these players as well for different reasons, but they are slightly below the other 5 imo)

things change as i see more games and think on which players have more consistent form Vs potential ect, i would say this is the top group with Robertson, Henry and McAsey also in the conversation from my PoV as it stands now, but my opinion can change as i see more footage as i might find a small fault or acknowledge a strength that i didnt see previously.

Last edited:
its a good question because ive been trying to figure out where the top group fall in the pecking order, just thinking on what i have seen from these players from the last 2 years i would personally rate them as:

elite: Rowell, Anderson and Kemp (i added Kemp after he stood out as a match winner in the champs and the fact i cant fault him, knee inj aside)
top 5: Ash, Green (im a huge fan of Ash, Greens performances as an inside mid are too good to ignore)
6-10: Serong, Young, Gould, D.Stephens, Flanders/L.Jackson (i really like all of these players as well for different reasons, but they are slightly below the other 5 imo)

things change as i see more games and think on which players have more consistent form Vs potential ect, i would say this is the top group with Robertson, Henry and McAsey also in the conversation from my PoV as it stands now, but my opinion can change as i see more footage as i might find a small fault or acknowledge a strength that i didnt see previously.

IMO Green is in the elite - was a one man show in the middle in the champs. Beat Rowell & Anderson in their match. Wasn’t able to show what he can do fwd due to allies not being strong enough in the middle. Last year in champs as a bottom ager & with neafl able to rotate fwd and kicked goals.

Looking at that I am very happy where Fremantle's pick sits as well as a potential pick for Hill. Those in your 6-10 range look solid in terms of likelihood to succeed at AFL level, showing high production, and also a likelihood to play early. As a group they strike me as not simply talented, but hard workers as well.

Davo-27: hoping Kemp slides to pick 10, the we get Finn.

What are your thoughts on Dyson Hilder as a key defender option, his highlights against WA look good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hilder was one of the best one on one tall defenders in the champs, although i think Finlay was more flexible in that they pushed him forward and he played a similar role to Hilder in defence, so between them i would take Finlay as he has a longer history of performances and is more flexible, if we go McAsey with our first pick then we probably wont bother with other tall defenders like Finlay, Hilder, Pasini or De Koning.

depends if we have the early pick and what our plans are.

Hilder was one of the best one on one tall defenders in the champs, although i think Finlay was more flexible in that they pushed him forward and he played a similar role to Hilder in defence, so between them i would take Finlay as he has a longer history of performances and is more flexible, if we go McAsey with our first pick then we probably wont bother with other tall defenders like Finlay, Hilder, Pasini or De Koning.

depends if we have the early pick and what our plans are.

Holder just looks a natural defender, positions himself well and marks the footy. Would be a change for us as we often draft a forward and trying to turn them into a defender.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Davo has Todd Garners development been sufficient to be listed under the NGA for the Hawks?

i have been busy and have not seen this years finals yet, but i plan on watching them at a later date, but from what i have seen from our F/S and NGA's this year, i think Finn Maginness will go somewhere late first early second round, he is in that 2nd group of mids in this draft imo, i think Harrison Pepper will be a late pick or rookie, he has issues with his kicking, but his all-round game and strong physique are positives imo, Todd Garner is an ok player for Eastern, but i put him as a long shot to be drafted, probably unlikely unless he crushes it in the finals imo, which was pretty much my opinion in the pre-season

they are the 3 players aligned to us this year, as for Downie in 2020 at this early stage he is likely to be a second rounder or thereabouts, probably just inside the top 30 players in 2020 around the 15-30 area, but in saying that it is really early to predict as draft years can boost or drop ratings for the 2020 group of kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok so going through the Wildcard games and then the finals, a bit late, but i want to see the performances and see if any of the kids performed above expectation, so continuing from Western V GWV Wildcard game and onwards to the GF

Western V GWV WILDCARD (99 - 49 close game until the last quarter where GWV lost interest and west ran away with it)

Best Players:
1. Cassar - West - 26 disp 9 marks 2 tackles
2. Ford - West - 0.3, 23 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
3. Rantall - GWV - 1.0, 19 disp 0 marks 7 tackles
4. Andrews - West - 1.1, 34 disp 9 marks 5 tackles
5. Manton - West - 4.3, 13 disp 3 marks 1 tackle
6. Burgess - GWV - 22 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
7. Reynolds - West - 0.1, 14 disp 4 marks 4 tackles
8. Grant - GWV - 2.1, 10 disp 6 marks 4 tackles
9. Clarke - West - 2.1, 8 disp 4 marks 0 tackles
10. Hobbs - GWV - 22 disp 6 marks 3 tackles
11. Honey - West - 1.1, 23 disp 6 marks 6 tackles

mentions: Cousins, Kellett, Cootee, Failli, Coopers-Peters, Polkinghorne, M.Herbert

one of the best games ive seen Cassar play, Ford looking good for 2020 draft, Rantall shows bursts of class, Andrews has a long shot at being drafted, Manton would be a handy medium forw in the AFL if a club takes a shot at picking him up?, some players that were new to me, Cousins + Reynolds (Jets) looking good for 2020, Burgess and Grant making a late bid for this years draft, Hobbs looking great for 2021, Honey does some things in bursts, but im not a big fan and Clarke playing really well as a tall forw/ruck option as usual

Last edited:
Calder V Tasmania WILDCARD (63-57 good game, very different teams being tried with a lot of youngsters included in this game)

Best Players:
1. Edwardes - Cald - 1.1, 20 disp 11 marks 1 tackle
2. Gentile - Cald - 0.1, 26 disp 6 marks 0 tackles
3. Chugg - Tas - 16 disp 1 mark 2 tackles
4. Mansell - Tas - 1.2, 13 disp 5 marks 2 tackles
5. Griffiths - Tas - 0.1, 14 disp 5 marks 1 tackle
6. Walker - Tas - 16 disp 3 marks 2 tackles
7. Minton-Connell - Cald - 2.1, 19 disp 6 marks 5 tackles
8. Mott - Cald - 1.0, 21 disp 1 mark 4 tackles
9. Adams - Tas - 0.2, 14 disp 1 mark 2 tackles

mentions: Ramsay, Gollant, Brown, Fletcher, Brand, Newman, Banks, Menzie, Callow, Steele, Dakin, Gordon

really interesting game, very close, Tassie had a bunch of new players and Calders talls were too strong in the end, Tassie probably kicked themselves out of the game with poor accuracy in front of goals, players to impress were Cald: Edwardes marking everything and showing some flexibility which recruiters would like, Gentile working his butt off all game and Fletcher sparked memories of his old man with some long bombs at goal, for Tassie i was really impressed with some new guys, Griffiths and Adams who look very similar to each other, they were really strong and determined to win contests, also showing skill above the norm, Callow had a good game also but went goaless and didnt look like kicking a goal, Chugg was really quick and provided a lot of rebound from def, he is growing in importance for Tassie next season, Banks looks the goods for 2021 even with a quiet game he just looks a talent and Gordon did some quality work as well.

Last edited:
Dandenong V Murray WILDCARD (91-70 another close game with Dandenong just getting over the line)

Best Players:
1. Young - Dand - 24 disp 2 marks 7 tackles
2. Gay - Dand - 2.1, 15 disp 5 marks 3 tackles
3. Rachelle - Murr - 3.0, 17 disp 6 marks 5 tackles
4. Goonan - Dand - 22 disp 5 marks 5 tackles
5. Cahill - Dand - 3.3, 21 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
6. Ash - Murr - 0.1, 27 disp 4 marks 6 tackles
7. Bravo - Dand - 12 disp 2 marks 3 tackles
8. Kelly - Murr - 0.1, 12 disp 3 marks 1 tackles 21 h/o's

mentions: Weightman, Toner, Milford, Nyoun, Welsh, Lewis, Heath, Beasley, Panuccio, Byrne, J.Chalcraft, Maher, Wild

Young was really good off the backline, showing composure and skill above the norm, Gay played a really important link man between mid and the forws, creating momentum and fighting for every poss (2020), Rachelle showing skills that should see him go top 5 in 2021, Goonan got fired up after a solid hit on him to play a great game, Cahill was dangerous and couldve finished with at least 5, Ash was solid without being his best, Bravo led a bunch of talented guys that Dand have for next seasons squad, Kelly really put on a display for the first 3 quarters before Nyoun responded in the last when Dand took control of the game.

Northern V Western Elimination Final (69-77 wind affected game, Western had the better 3rd quarter against the wind which basically won them the match)

Best Players:
1. J.Davies - North - 0.1, 23 disp 5 marks 3 tackles
2. Failli - West - 1.0, 14 disp 0 marks 4 tackles
3. Cousins - West - 1.0, 13 disp 1 mark 1 tackle
4. D'Intinosante - North - 5.0, 13 disp 2 marks 2 tackles
5. Manton - West - 4.2, 9 disp 2 marks 3 tackles
6. Cox - North - 2.0, 11 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
7. Philp - North - 21 disp 2 marks 8 tackles
8. Watson - North - 16 disp 0 marks 7 tackles
9. Andrews - West - 17 disp 2 marks 8 tackles

mentions: Carafa, Sturgess, Boyd, Bowne, Taylor, Gardner, Conway, Kellett, Jeka, Reynolds

the game was very wind affected, Davies really stamped his presence on the game, thought he did an ankle early in the last quarter but came back and had even more impact on the game, not a lot of high poss players in the game because of the horribly windy conditions, but again Cousins looked good for 2020, D'Intinosante and Manton were the most dangerous forws on the ground, Cox was floating around having an influence, Philp has great speed but his ball handling skills and disposals in general need a lot of work, Western played the 3rd quarter against the wind perfectly to pretty much sew up the win, even though North seemed the slightly better team overall imo.

Last edited:
Eastern V Sandringham Qualifying Final (52-38 wind affected game, Eastern just seemed the better squad overall)

Best Players:
1. Byrnes - Sand - 28 disp 4 marks 3 tackles (easily B.O.G.)
2. Pretty - East - 21 disp 0 marks 2 tackles
3. Chirgwin - Sand - 21 disp 1 mark 5 tackles (showed quick reactions)
4. Clarke - East - 17 disp 3 marks 2 tackles
5. Butler - Sand - 26 disp 2 marks 2 tackles
6. McAsey - Sand - 11 disp 4 marks 3 tackles
7. Rossiter - East - 4.0, 10 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
8. Stapleton - East - 1.0, 18 disp 1 mark 10 tackles
9. Mellis - East - 21 disp 0 marks 2 tackles
10. Bergman - Sand - 2.0, 13 disp 7 marks 5 tackles

mentions: McCormack, Zalac, Downie, Sonsie, Ralphsmith, Watts, Bowey, Maginness

another wind affected game at Mars Stadium, both Ballarat and Geelong are bad places to host finals as the wind and weather can ruin the spectacle of an important final, but none-the-less, i thought Byrnes dominated the game in the middle and he had a competent partner in Chirgwin, Maginness was poor i thought which was a concern(he had a few good moments to qualify for the mentions), Pretty, Stapleton and Mellis were solid without starring for East, Rossiter had one of his better performances in a final and Butler had a very good game as well, McAsey dominated the air even in a wind affected game and looks very composed back there, Bergman had some special moments showing some pure talent in bursts, Clarke was slow to get into the game and looks like he is going well for 2020.

Calder V Dandenong Elimination Final (75-39 lower quality game than the previous finals)

Best Players:
1. Ramsay - Cald - 1.0, 35 disp 6 marks 2 tackles (easily B.O.G.)
2. Mott - Cald - 2.1, 34 disp 7 marks 3 tackles
3. Young - Dand - 19 disp 2 marks 3 tackles
4. O'Sullivan - Cald - 20 disp 8 marks 2 tackles 2 h/o's
5. Bravo - Dand - 0.1, 20 disp 8 marks 2 tackles
6. Goonan - Dand - 0.2, 31 disp 7 marks 1 tackle
7. Cardillo - Cald - 2.0, 12 disp 2 marks 6 tackles
8. Minton-Connell - Cald - 18 disp 1 mark 3 tackles
9. N.Gentile - Cald - 0.1, 19 disp 3 marks 5 tackles
10. L.Williams - Dand - 0.1, 25 disp 5 marks 3 tackles

mentions: Sutton, Thomas, Eyre, Lewis, Toner, George, Welsh, Cahill, Heath

even though this game was not affected by weather it somehow ws less skillful than the previous 2 finals, a lot of wayward poss and dropped marks ect made for a lower quality game with more disposals thanks to the clear weather, Ramsay was busy and used it well which was rare, Mott had a really good game also, Young played ok, O'Sullivan had a big game for a tall, Bravo again looking good for 2020, Minton-Connell every now and then shows quality disposal, Cardillo is a clever player, Gentile works hard and Williams has good run and carry, Goonan got a lot of the ball, but he seemed ineffective mostly.

Gippsland V Oakleigh Qualifying Final (75-83 Gipps leading by 4 1/2 goals halfway through the 3rd quarter with serong and flanders dominating, when those 2 players had a quiet patch, it allowed Oak in to snatch the win)

Best Players:
1. Flanders - Gipps - 4.1, 27 disp 7 marks 7 tackles
2. Phillips - Oak - 1.1, 29 disp 1 mark 4 tackles
3. Serong - Gipps - 0.1, 29 disp 4 marks 5 tackles
4. Rowell - Oak - 29 disp 2 marks 8 tackles
5. Anderson - Oak - 29 disp 0 marks 4 tackles
6. Bianco - Oak - 1.0, 14 disp 5 marks 4 tackles
7. Ugle-Hagan - Oak - 3.3, 13 disp 6 marks 2 tackles
8. Stathopoulos - Oak - 4.1, 15 disp 4 marks 0 tackles
9. R.Baldi - Gipps - 1.0, 14 disp 5 marks 4 tackles
10. Laurie - Oak - 2.1, 16 disp 7 marks 1 tackles
11. Macrae - Oak - 13 disp 0 marks 2 tackles
12. Bryan - Oak - 13 disp 1 mark 0 tackles 30 h/o's

mentions: Pepper, Robinson, Sparkes, J.Smith, Fitzpatrick, Elliot, McInness, Mastras

it looked like Gipps would take the win with Flanders and Serong making everyone else look amateurish, but then as they went out of the game Oakleigh started to take control via Phillips and cameos from the big 3 Rowell/Anderson and Bianco.

Gippsland V Oakleigh Qualifying Final (75-83 Gipps leading by 4 1/2 goals halfway through the 3rd quarter with serong and flanders dominating, when those 2 players had a quiet patch, it allowed Oak in to snatch the win)

Best Players:
1. Flanders - Gipps - 4.1, 27 disp 7 marks 7 tackles
2. Phillips - Oak - 1.1, 29 disp 1 mark 4 tackles
3. Serong - Gipps - 0.1, 29 disp 4 marks 5 tackles
4. Rowell - Oak - 29 disp 2 marks 8 tackles
5. Anderson - Oak - 29 disp 0 marks 4 tackles
6. Bianco - Oak - 1.0, 14 disp 5 marks 4 tackles
7. Ugle-Hagan - Oak - 3.3, 13 disp 6 marks 2 tackles
8. Stathopoulos - Oak - 4.1, 15 disp 4 marks 0 tackles
9. R.Baldi - Gipps - 1.0, 14 disp 5 marks 4 tackles
10. Laurie - Oak - 2.1, 16 disp 7 marks 1 tackles
11. Macrae - Oak - 13 disp 0 marks 2 tackles
12. Bryan - Oak - 13 disp 1 mark 0 tackles 30 h/o's

mentions: Pepper, Robinson, Sparkes, J.Smith, Fitzpatrick, Elliot, McInness, Mastras

it looked like Gipps would take the win with Flanders and Serong making everyone else look amateurish, but then as they went out of the game Oakleigh started to take control via Phillips and cameos from the big 3 Rowell/Anderson and Bianco.

Flanders certainly announced himself as a Top 10 pick in this game....Hard as a Cat's head, his inside game is huge & awesome to watch….Dare I say it, Leigh-Matthews like in the way he goes about it.

Flanders certainly announced himself as a Top 10 pick in this game....Hard as a Cat's head, his inside game is huge & awesome to watch….Dare I say it, Leigh-Matthews like in the way he goes about it.

he has done this a few times this year, but as it was a final and he had more eyes on him it became more obvious, both Flanders and Serong are as hard as a Cats Head, both high quality individuals imo.

he has done this a few times this year, but as it was a final and he had more eyes on him it became more obvious, both Flanders and Serong are as hard as a Cats Head, both high quality individuals imo.

I'll admit, I had my doubts on both of them as Top 10 material, prior to the finals, but this game put those doubts to bed.

Sandringham V Calder Semi Final (55-18 Sandy were too good, Calder only kicking 1 goal for the match, says it all)

Best Players:
1. Maginness - Sand - 1.0, 32 disp 3 marks 5 tackles
2. Byrnes - Sand - 32 disp 4 marks 3 tackles
3. Hanrahan - Sand - 1.0, 32 disp 11 marks 4 tackles
4. Mott - Cald - 0.1, 23 disp 1 mark 3 tackles
5. Ralphsmith - Sand - 3.3, 19 disp 8 marks 1 tackle

mentions: Bowey, Mifsud, Mackay, Chirgwin, Butler, Ramsay, N.Gentile, Minton-Connell, Jones

not the best game of football to watch, weather was fine, conditions decent, just 2 teams playing ordinary footy tbh, only 5 players worth mentioning, a lot of sloppy play. Maginness got involved early and had some nice plays in tight and in the open, Byrnes is just that blue collar mid that always puts in 110%, Mott has started to impress me more and more, i thought he was a write off, but he has shown an ability to step up, Hanrahan again good on the wing and Ralphsmith with the 3 early goals putting them in a winning position seeing as Calder kicked 1.12 for the entire game....

Last edited:
I'll admit, I had my doubts on both of them as Top 10 material, prior to the finals, but this game put those doubts to bed.

that final was the same as they both played in the Vic Metro V Vic Country game this year although i believe unless you were there you had to have access to Foxtel to have seen it, but both Flanders and Serong performed exactly the same, not sure if Flanders got 4 goals though i think he might have missed a couple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back