43. Carter Michael - Brisbane A - 188cm 74kg
44. Zavier Maher - Murray - 185cm 82kg
45. Lachlan Carrigan - Sandringham - 191cm 78kg
46. Max Heath - Sandringham - 203cm 94kg
47. Maurice Rioli Jnr - NT - 173cm 73kg
48. Harry Sharp - GWV - 183cm 69kg
49. Jake Bowey - Sandringham - 175cm 67kg
50. Clayton Gay - Dandenong - 184cm 78kg

a couple of state league players i think might get drafted, Tom Highmore and Jackson Ramsay(not going to speculate where they might go).

others outside of the top 50 include, Seamus Mitchell, Luke Pedlar, Henry Walsh, Kalin Lane, Liam McMahon, Sam Collins, Josh Green, Campbell Edwardes, Jackson Cardillo, Jack Avery, James Borlase, Lochlan Jenkins, Max Holmes, Connor Stone.

Last edited:

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How does essendon not get deals done?
Landed Smith, stringer and saad in one trade period
Then shiel the following year
Then Caldwell Wright and hind this year. Not dodoros fault dogs were asking for ridiculous overs for dunkley
Two deals haven’t been completed against players wishes in the last two years - Daniher and Dunkley. What is the common factor?

It’s not even that Essendon was unreasonable on Dunkley (I dont think Essendon was). But Essendon / Dodoro have built bad faith with rival clubs and clubs are unwilling to bend to his will. Good will is very important when dealing with parties you have deal with regularly. Dodoro has none. His approach is not effective

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Two deals haven’t been completed against players wishes in the last two years - Daniher and Dunkley. What is the common factor?

It’s not even that Essendon was unreasonable on Dunkley (I dont think Essendon was). But Essendon / Dodoro have built bad faith with rival clubs and clubs are unwilling to bend to his will. Good will is very important when dealing with parties you have deal with regularly. Dodoro has none. His approach is not effective
The common factor is they were both contracted, not dodoro. It’s not essendon‘s duty to get deals done for contracted players wanting to leave and vias versa. If the dogs weren’t getting JUH this year the deal probably would’ve got done, him bid on in the top 2-3 picks complicates it.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The common factor is they were both contracted, not dodoro. It’s not essendon‘s duty to get deals done for contracted players wanting to leave and vias versa. If the dogs weren’t getting JUH this year the deal probably would’ve got done, him bid on in the top 2-3 picks complicates it.
Essendon would have a trade for Dunkley all they had to do was Throw a future first into the trade

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other clubs get contracted players traded - both ways. Essendon takes a certain approach to dealing with other clubs that doesn’t build good faith. That’s well known. You obviously don’t have a concern with it and it’s outcomes and that’s fine. I don’t think it’s effective

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other clubs get contracted players traded - both ways. Essendon takes a certain approach to dealing with other clubs that doesn’t build good faith. That’s well known. You obviously don’t have a concern with it and it’s outcomes and that’s fine. I don’t think it’s effective
Would you pay 2 top 7 picks for dunkley?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
For a player you're specifically recruiting to be the backbone of your midfield and future captain?
McGrath is our future captain, were weren’t recruiting him to be captain. 2 top 7 picks for a teams 5th best mid is a tad overs
NO i won't .
Essendon only have one top 7 pick , future first round could be anything , just like lotto .
Yeah but most likely it’s top 7 and in a very strong draft aswell. Don’t expect much from essendon next year, lack of good key backs and forwards isn’t a recipe for success.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
McGrath is our future captain, were weren’t recruiting him to be captain. 2 top 7 picks for a teams 5

Yeah but most likely it’s top 7 and in a very strong draft aswell. Don’t expect much from essendon next year, lack of good key backs and forwards isn’t a recipe for success.
I disagree , look at Eagles and Brisbane future first exchange with GCS. Essendon will have easier fixture compare to this year after making the 8 in 2019 . Never underestimate any team.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I disagree , look at Eagles and Brisbane future first exchange with GCS. Essendon will have easier fixture compare to this year after making the 8 in 2019 . Never underestimate any team.
Yeah that was just poor trading by the suns, that eagles team was always a chance to make top 4. They get 12 games a year in Perth for starters.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah that was just poor trading by the suns, that eagles team was always a chance to make top 4. They get 12 games a year in Perth for starters.
That is exactly what i am trying to get into you , nobody knew what Essendon fixture is like next year , also Daniher and Connor don't played much this year . Add in duckley , you still have Shiel ,stringer , tippa , etc . I am not saying two first round for Dunkley is a good deal , but i can understand why both side don't want to do the deal .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
That is exactly what i am trying to get into you , nobody knew what Essendon fixture is like next year , also Daniher and Connor don't played much this year . Add in duckley , you still have Shiel ,stringer , tippa , etc . I am not saying two first round for Dunkley is a good deal , but i can understand why both side don't want to do the deal .
Yeah essendon could make finals next year and have first round pick 11-18, however that is highly unlikely. And it’s irresponsible to trade your first round pick if you’ll likely be in the bottom 3rd of the ladder.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah essendon could make finals next year and have first round pick 11-18, however that is highly unlikely. And it’s irresponsible to trade your first round pick if you’ll likely be in the bottom 3rd of the ladder.
Brisbane traded 3 first round picks to get Neale to the Lions you would have got a second round pick back and the Lions were expected to finish bottom 4

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Geez I hope we get better players than Duursma and Butters in our rebuild! Rozee is an elite talent (should have gone higher) and so he should be as a top 5 pick. We have traded out picks in the 11-20 range which are more speculative in order to bring in elite talent like Mitchell, Wingard and O’Meara. Did we overpay for Wingard and O’Meara, yes we did but we never traded out top end picks which is where you get the absolute top end talent you are desperately trying to bring into your club.
Watch more of Butters. He is a gun.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
missing on FA or Trade targets was always going to happen once Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson, Cyril ect retired or got too old to really compete, FA are sold on a club by who they will play with, would you rather play with Dusty, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt or a bunch of nobodies relatively at Hawthorn? which was the reasoning behind Lynch/Shiel/Williams decisions + money, they were smart enough to see which team had a future and which was on the decline within the next handful of seasons.

as for the O'Meara and Wingard Trades, both players had massive red flags, O'Meara being out with 2 ACL's and struggling to get back on the park and fearing for his career and Wingard being at odds with Port over attitude issues and a lack of workrate and VERY patchy form, which we have seen for ourselves

the players/picks we gave up for JOM, ready yourself
Pick 10 - Jack Bowes - GCS
Pick 25 - Ben Long - StK
Pick 39 - Josh Battle - StK
Pick 7 - Hunter Clark - StK
Pick 26 - Liam Ryan - WCE

i would say those 5 players are at least as good if not better individually than JOM

Wingard's trade wasnt as big a nightmare
Ryan Burton
Pick 18 - Xavier Duursma - Port
Pick 40 - Tom Joyce - Bris
Pick 59 - Jaxon Prior - Bris

not only were they both red flags, they cost us about half a dozen quality players for 2, imo not the smartest of trades at the time or now.
Holy cow!

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
How does essendon not get deals done?
Landed Smith, stringer and saad in one trade period
Then shiel the following year
Then Caldwell Wright and hind this year. Not dodoros fault dogs were asking for ridiculous overs for dunkley
Is actually nobody fault , you want a contract players , they gave you their asking price , you disagree and walk off . You still hold your draft pick and Bulldog keeped Dunkley .

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There seems to be talk that Jackson Callow has poor agility because he tested at the combine and got 8.45 in the agility test, heres some players he beat, Jarryd Roughead 8.58, Buddy 9.47, Nick Riewoldt 8.85, Josh Kennedy 8.64, Jack Riewoldt 8.43 beat him by .02, Harris Andrews 8.79, Harry Taylor 8.63, Alex Rance 8.62....

just for some perspective, he does not have an issue with movement or agility, btw 8 flat is amazing agility, so to have 8.45 is actually good.....

personally i think its more important to see performance on field than the test results, because as you can see Buddy had a horrible result, but anyone with eyes knew he could play.

Last edited:

Steve94

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
There seems to be talk that Jackson Callow has poor agility because he tested at the combine and got 8.45 in the agility test, heres some players he beat, Jarryd Roughead 8.58, Buddy 9.47, Nick Riewoldt 8.85, Josh Kennedy 8.64, Jack Riewoldt 8.43 beat him by .02, Harris Andrews 8.79, Harry Taylor 8.63, Alex Rance 8.62....

just for some perspective, he does not have an issue with movement or agility, btw 8 flat is amazing agility, so to have 8.45 is actually good.....

personally i think its more important to see performance on field than the test results, because as you can see Buddy had a horrible result, but anyone with eyes knew he could play.
Are any of those blokes agile?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Surely buddy had an off day. 9.47 is ridiculously slow for someone who has great agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back