43. Carter Michael - Brisbane A - 188cm 74kg
44. Zavier Maher - Murray - 185cm 82kg
45. Lachlan Carrigan - Sandringham - 191cm 78kg
46. Max Heath - Sandringham - 203cm 94kg
47. Maurice Rioli Jnr - NT - 173cm 73kg
48. Harry Sharp - GWV - 183cm 69kg
49. Jake Bowey - Sandringham - 175cm 67kg
50. Clayton Gay - Dandenong - 184cm 78kg

a couple of state league players i think might get drafted, Tom Highmore and Jackson Ramsay(not going to speculate where they might go).

others outside of the top 50 include, Seamus Mitchell, Luke Pedlar, Henry Walsh, Kalin Lane, Liam McMahon, Sam Collins, Josh Green, Campbell Edwardes, Jackson Cardillo, Jack Avery, James Borlase, Lochlan Jenkins, Max Holmes, Connor Stone.

Last edited:
Thats a very very big 'If' Davo very very few if any player or players get back from 2 knee 's and have a career of any significance and for a 18 year old even prior to being drafted this would e a major concern. I have no doubt he will get drafted and he does have the high end talent to play the game at the top end but at a later pick 2nd round on wards. I think if Richmond do have him on our board it will be at pick #36
I disagree.

Lots of players these days get back and perform at a really high level after multiple reco's.

Hasn't stopped Max Gawn becoming the best ruckman of the last decade.

I disagree.

Lots of players these days get back and perform at a really high level after multiple reco's.

If there are 'lots' of players, name them. i think max is the exception and i cannot think of another, some may go on and can play good footy but are nowhere near what they were or could have been. Baldwin is coming off hardly any footy in U/16’s, knee reconstruction, no footy this year, knee reco and pretty much no footy next year. Has the ability to be a terrific fwd type player, but I would predict the Menzel path for him. Everyone knew he had talent and could do amazing things but really, in the context of his career and from a club perspective, he wasn’t worth anything and never helped them do anything and his career and talent was never achieved to what it could have been and it wasted away. I rate/rated Baldwin but would be shocked if he ever makes it in the big league and has a decent career. I see clubs leaving him alone this draft and waiting to see him get some footy under his belt and see how he goes against older guys as well.

Last edited:

I disagree.

They perform at really high level ? Is that what you are expecting when selecting with a 1st round pick just to perform

I love to see a list of them as i dont think 5% would ever get to where they might have with just 1 knee

They perform at really high level ? Is that what you are expecting when selecting with a 1st round pick just to perform

I love to see a list of them as i dont think 5% would ever get to where they might have with just 1 knee

He said perform ‘at a high level’.

Knees are definitely not the careerwreckers that they used to be.

And I would know - I was a star on the rise at my local club then had a knee reco at the age of 20 - and I made it all the way back to successfully play some great games of C grade amateur footy in the 2nds.

He said perform ‘at a high level’.

Knees are definitely not the careerwreckers that they used to be.

And I would know - I was a star on the rise at my local club then had a knee reco at the age of 20 - and I made it all the way back to successfully play some great games of C grade amateur footy in the 2nds.

Agreed its not a career ending injury any longer but it is extremely rare for a player to come back to their previous high's of prior to knee injuries and the likely chance is they will most likely do that again. I have heard the Ox speak about this and how he never felt the same of had that same feel after his injuries and just recently Adam Cooney on trade radio was talking about Charlie Curnow and what cooney went through and his words were its never the same and your movements are restricted.

Baldwin i believe did his 2nd just jogging or something , Thats a massive risk for any club to use a 1st round pick on a 18 year old who has already done it 2 times in 18 months

Agreed its not a career ending injury any longer but it is extremely rare for a player to come back to their previous high's of prior to knee injuries and the likely chance is they will most likely do that again. I have heard the Ox speak about this and how he never felt the same of had that same feel after his injuries and just recently Adam Cooney on trade radio was talking about Charlie Curnow and what cooney went through and his words were its never the same and your movements are restricted.

Baldwin i believe did his 2nd just jogging or something , Thats a massive risk for any club to use a 1st round pick on a 18 year old who has already done it 2 times in 18 months
Cooney was more to do with the irritation of bone in bone and degeneration of the knee, curnow might go through the same thing. Those type of injuries are way worse than a traditional acl. But I agree it’s a
massive risk to take Baldwin off 2 years of no footy, it would most likely be later draft if he gets taken.

I think irrespective of Baldwin's knee a factor that will help him get drafted and probably in the 2nd-3rd round is a lack of depth of key position players in this years draft. After Reid and Cox who are touted to go around the top 10 the only real key position players after that is Baldwin and Callow. I think they'd rather take the risk with Baldwin who has shown he could be an absolute star than take someone who hasn't shown much form in junior footy, and of course they will need to get medical expertise and do their due diligence to make that calculated risk. I think he goes somewhere around early second round because there isn't any better options for key position players.

just wanted to repost my Phantom Draft, my guess as to what clubs may do on draft day.

Phantom Draft 2020

1. Western - (bid) Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
2. Adel - Riley Thilthorpe
3. NM- Logan McDonald
4. Syd - Denver Grainger-Barras
5. Syd - (bid) Braeden Campbell
6. Haw - Will Phillips
7. GCS - Elijah Hollands
8. Ess - Tanner Bruhn
9. Ess - Archie Perkins
10. Port - (bid) Lachlan Jones
11. Coll - (bid) Reef McInnes
12. Ess - Zach Reid
13. Adel - Nathan O'Driscoll
14. GWS - Oliver Henry
15. NM - Nikolas Cox
16. Frem - Jack Carroll
17. GWS - Jack Ginnivan
18. Frem - (bid) Brandon Walker
19. GWS - Heath Chapman
20. Coll - Tom Powell
21. Rich - Kaine Baldwin
22. Melb - Brayden Cook
23. Melb - Eddie Ford
24. Syd - (bid) Errol Gulden
25. GWS - Finlay Macrae
26. Adel - (bid) Luke Edwards
27. StK - Bailey Laurie
28. Haw - Jackson Callow
29. Adel - Caleb Poulter
30. Bris - Isaiah Winder
31. GCS - Zac Dumesny
32. Haw - (bid) Connor Downie
33. Melb - * Brodie Lake
34. Bris - (bid) Blake Coleman
35. Ess - Oliver Davis
36. NM - Sam Berry
37. Frem - (bid) Joel Western
38. Ess - (bid) Cody Brand
39. Rich - Shannon Neale
40. GCS - Zane Trew
41. Carl - Max Heath
42. NM - Harry Sharp
43. Port - (bid) Taj Schofield
44. Adel - (bid) James Borlase
45. GWS - Liam McMahon
46. Carl - Charlie Lazzaro
47. GWS - (bid) Josh Green
48. Rich - (bid) Maurice Rioli Jnr
49. Haw - Clayton Gay
50. Melb - Jackson Cardillo
51. Haw - Campbell Edwardes
52. Geel - * Carter Michael
53. WCE - Blake Morris
54. StK - Zavier Maher
55. Coll - Sam Collins
56. Geel - Jake Bowey
What are Hawthorn’s positional needs right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are Hawthorn’s positional needs right now?

Immediate needs:
Key defender
Small forward
Midfield class
Outside pace

Future needs:
Elite key forward
Ruck

We can address many of these in this years draft.

Pick 4 will absolutely address one of them. Connor Downie will address another. Very interested to see what we do with the other 1 or 2 picks we use.

Immediate needs:
Key defender
Small forward
Midfield class
Outside pace

Future needs:
Elite key forward
Ruck

We can address many of these in this years draft.

Pick 4 will absolutely address one of them. Connor Downie will address another. Very interested to see what we do with the other 1 or 2 picks we use.
That’s seriously a lot of needs so you see the Hawks in a rebuild stage

Should have started our rebuild on the run after 2018. Instead we sold the farm for Wingard and now are starting from further back.

It was smart of Port Adelaide, they knew their mid 20's group was going nowhere, so they sold most of them off and invested in one of the strongest drafts in the last decade (2018), they brought in Butters, Rozee and Duursma, pretty much house hold names now, then followed it up with Georgiades the next year and we fell for it thinking we were better than what we were.

Wingard is a good player, but we sold the farm for JOM and Wingard, just good players, making these errors in judgement is what has led us to dropping down the ladder.

It was smart of Port Adelaide, they knew their mid 20's group was going nowhere, so they sold most of them off and invested in one of the strongest drafts in the last decade (2018), they brought in Butters, Rozee and Duursma, pretty much house hold names now, then followed it up with Georgiades the next year and we fell for it thinking we were better than what we were.

Yep and we ended up with Walker who is now delisted and Kosi who hasn't played.

Only trade we should have made that off-season was for Scrimshaw then should have hit the draft hard.

Only trade we should have made that off-season was for Scrimshaw then should have hit the draft hard.

i was pleading for us to goto the draft that year, i think i posted dozens of posts pleading for us to ignore the Wingard trade and hit the draft, fell on deaf ears, every blow hard on the Hawks board wanted Wingard and told me the draft is a lottery, same old BS from the same blowhards unfortunately, now those same blowhards want to hit the draft OR have disappeared as soon as we started losing and dropped to the bottom of the ladder(NTTAWWT disappeared when things get tough).

i mean most draft picks past 45-50 are speculation picks as most years the talent is obvious up to 30-odd then even up to 40-odd the talent looks worth a shot after that its throw a dart at the board and hope you hit bullseye or hope you have info on a kid no one else has like seeing Dangerfield play midfield when everyone else has only seen him as an ordinary half forw, same with Fyfe ect.

i was scared we would pay a premium for Scrimshaw like we did with O'Rourke (first round pick) so i was against the trade until i found out it was for a very late pick, then i was like, ok this could work for us and he has been brilliant since coming over, even though i had my concerns.

i was pleading for us to goto the draft that year, i think i posted dozens of posts pleading for us to ignore the Wingard trade and hit the draft, fell on deaf ears, every blow hard on the Hawks board wanted Wingard and told me the draft is a lottery, same old BS from the same blowhards unfortunately, now those same blowhards want to hit the draft OR have disappeared as soon as we started losing and dropped to the bottom of the ladder(NTTAWWT disappeared when things get tough).
The draft is a lottery arguement is one of the dumbest. Where did Hodge come from, or Roughead, or Lewis, or Cyril and oh a guy named Buddy Franklin. 1st round picks are the only way to build a team capable of competing for a premiership.

The draft is a lottery arguement is one of the dumbest. Where did Hodge come from, or Roughead, or Lewis, or Cyril and oh a guy named Buddy Franklin. 1st round picks are the only way to build a team capable of competing for a premiership.

mate dont even bother with some of the deadheads in the Hawks board, they wont listen, ive been saying this for years and its only now they are starting to listen.

apparently we dont need the draft, but now that our list is looking bad and we hardly have good enough players to make a competitive 22, oh now we need the draft... not 4 years ago when me and a few others were pointing out the warning signs, no, only now that we look like rubbish.

Last edited:

Wingard is a good player, but we sold the farm for JOM and Wingard, just good players, making these errors in judgement is what has led us to dropping down the ladder.
Geez I hope we get better players than Duursma and Butters in our rebuild! Rozee is an elite talent (should have gone higher) and so he should be as a top 5 pick. We have traded out picks in the 11-20 range which are more speculative in order to bring in elite talent like Mitchell, Wingard and O’Meara. Did we overpay for Wingard and O’Meara, yes we did but we never traded out top end picks which is where you get the absolute top end talent you are desperately trying to bring into your club.

Geez I hope we get better players than Duursma and Butters in our rebuild! Rozee is an elite talent (should have gone higher) and so he should be as a top 5 pick. We have traded out picks in the 11-20 range which are more speculative in order to bring in elite talent like Mitchell, Wingard and O’Meara. Did we overpay for Wingard and O’Meara, yes we did but we never traded out top end picks which is where you get the absolute top end talent you are desperately trying to bring into your club.

Butters was a star this year, i dont understand thinking he would not be good for us and Duursma is comparable to our mids and a lot younger with a lot of potential, thankfully the club has changed direction with Day last year and hopefully another win this year at the draft, im just happy for small wins at this stage, enough small wins and we can build back to being a strong team again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back