Review Dees v Swans: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a plea to Pickett to return

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of Tracs handballs were very nice looking at the replay. I'll give him some credit there. Dont notice them as much #ATG

Rivers played even better than I thought also. And I thought he was very good on the day.

Grundy's second half really was awesome.

Viney should be banned from kicking, particularly going inside 50.

James Jordon really was good, didnt notice him much at the game, but that might have been the best game hes ever played.

Loved JVR's brothers in the stands joining in the "Roooooooo" after his third goal.

Last edited:

I saw him. Shane Warne stand. He’s pretty noticeable
The Goonies Chuck GIF

JVR played much better than I thought he did at the game and that his stats would indicate. He is very good at holding his position one on one in a marking contest, shielding the drop zone, really good at the fundamentals.
Never been surer of someone making it, he does for lack of a better term 'footy' things very well. Don't have to teach him how to play at all just gotta get him AFL fit. He looked for contact from the first minute. Only other kid I saw it from as quick was Pickett.

Never been surer of someone making it, he does for lack of a better term 'footy' things very well. Don't have to teach him how to play at all just gotta get him AFL fit. He looked for contact from the first minute. Only other kid I saw it from as quick was Pickett.

On another day with better delivery he takes 5 marks inside F50. Bloody Melksham got in his way on the Spargo goal in the third quarter. Had his name written all over that until Jake puts his hand up and spoils it.

Not unlike the man himself.

I only caught the briefest of glances but immediately recognised him for his small cranium, slightly exophthalmic eyes with unusually long lashes, neat ears, rather lovely heart-shaped face with small dimple in chin, razor scar across left cheek, black polo neck worn with a classy houndstooth jacket rolled up at the wrists to show a scattering of pale freckles, combat pants with six useful pockets, patent leather Italian dress shoes and camel coat with a darker rabbit fur collar (he wasn’t wearing this in the sun, it was draped over the back of the seat) and cheerful yellow man bag.

I was impressed that he was able to smuggle in the white lap-dog but I wasn’t scanned on entry so security doesn’t seem to be an efficient regime at the ground.

Not unlike the man himself.

I only caught the briefest of glances but immediately recognised him for his small cranium, slightly exophthalmic eyes with unusually long lashes, neat ears, rather lovely heart-shaped face with small dimple in chin, razor scar across left cheek, black polo neck worn with a classy houndstooth jacket rolled up at the wrists to show a scattering of pale freckles, combat pants with six useful pockets, patent leather Italian dress shoes and camel coat with a darker rabbit fur collar (he wasn’t wearing this in the sun, it was draped over the back of the seat) and cheerful yellow man bag.

I was impressed that he was able to smuggle in the white lap-dog but I wasn’t scanned on entry so security doesn’t seem to be an efficient regime at the ground.

I really didn't think anyone saw me sneak in FuFu but apparently you did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media saying Trac is best is just some habit - knee-jerk reaction on a weekly basis. I suppose anyone asked for their opinion who didn’t watch but looked briefly at the stat sheet might come up with that. How good would it be to be in Footy media? Grab a decent paycheque for about four hours work each week. I’d be good at it. I can talk crap with no basis for twice that long.
Even at Trac's peak in '21, I have always rated Oliver above him. Trac is great and explosive, but he also has a little bit of Viney in him. A lot of his bull-at-a-gate efforts don't amount to anything. Oliver's possessions seem more damaging to me.

Finally got some time to watch the game properly.

The difference JVR makes to our forwardline is massive. Even when he didn't mark it, he was jumping at the footy with aggression, taking defenders out of the contest. Meant the ground ball was much easier for our other forwards to get involved with than when Brown runs under it and knocks it down with one arm up.

I liked Jordon's game well enough. Didn't do much wrong, and if it's a question of him or Harmes in that defensive midfielder role I know who I'm taking.

Going in shorter was a great move for this game but I don't know if our backline can sustain it long term, especially against sides like Carlton. Regardless I'd like to keep Petty forward. Tomlinson and Turner can be on stand by for the last spot in the back 6.

Our early ascendency was very much driven by accurate goal kicking. Very interesting to hear that Grundy noticed it was a big focus for us during pre-season. Hopefully that means it wasn't just a fluke but there were some set shots like Oliver's that wouldn't have even hit the scoreboard last year. Our scores this year have been 17.13, 13.4 and 21.8 so definitely a watch on that.

Defensive structures were unreal. Forced Sydney into panicked kicks and smashed them on the turnover. The build up to Oliver's first goal the best example.

Was worried about Grundy's fitness but he's moving better every week. Great pure ruck game from him.

Saw a couple of comments about how we handled it when Sydney's pressure went up. Honestly didn't bother me. Almost all sides revert to safe footy when they're under the pump. Pressure like that is hard to sustain all game so to a degree you can just limit the damage. Even so I thought we still tried to move the ball aggressively a few times during this period but just couldn't pull it off. Don't think we went back in our shells to the degree we saw last year. Once the Swans tired we got back on top very quickly and looked a million bucks again.

McVee is a gun. 2nd quarter when he evaded tackles, drilled the kick to sparrow before collecting the handball and executing the switch and directing play showed off his footy IQ. Basically ran that whole passage of play.

Hibberd just feels like another of our aging role players who's too good for VFL but can't keep up with the seniors anymore.

Chandler gets better every week, and Hunter's kick to him in the third was unreal

Finally got some time to watch the game properly.

The difference JVR makes to our forwardline is massive. Even when he didn't mark it, he was jumping at the footy with aggression, taking defenders out of the contest. Meant the ground ball was much easier for our other forwards to get involved with than when Brown runs under it and knocks it down with one arm up.

I liked Jordon's game well enough. Didn't do much wrong, and if it's a question of him or Harmes in that defensive midfielder role I know who I'm taking.

Going in shorter was a great move for this game but I don't know if our backline can sustain it long term, especially against sides like Carlton. Regardless I'd like to keep Petty forward. Tomlinson and Turner can be on stand by for the last spot in the back 6.

Our early ascendency was very much driven by accurate goal kicking. Very interesting to hear that Grundy noticed it was a big focus for us during pre-season. Hopefully that means it wasn't just a fluke but there were some set shots like Oliver's that wouldn't have even hit the scoreboard last year. Our scores this year have been 17.13, 13.4 and 21.8 so definitely a watch on that.

Defensive structures were unreal. Forced Sydney into panicked kicks and smashed them on the turnover. The build up to Oliver's first goal the best example.

Was worried about Grundy's fitness but he's moving better every week. Great pure ruck game from him.

Saw a couple of comments about how we handled it when Sydney's pressure went up. Honestly didn't bother me. Almost all sides revert to safe footy when they're under the pump. Pressure like that is hard to sustain all game so to a degree you can just limit the damage. Even so I thought we still tried to move the ball aggressively a few times during this period but just couldn't pull it off. Don't think we went back in our shells to the degree we saw last year. Once the Swans tired we got back on top very quickly and looked a million bucks again.

McVee is a gun. 2nd quarter when he evaded tackles, drilled the kick to sparrow before collecting the handball and executing the switch and directing play showed off his footy IQ. Basically ran that whole passage of play.

Hibberd just feels like another of our aging role players who's too good for VFL but can't keep up with the seniors anymore.

Chandler gets better every week, and Hunter's kick to him in the third was unreal

Agree with all that except I thought Hibbo was fine. Maybe not best 22 anymore but im certainly not going to be concerned about him getting games. He can still play a role in the backline when needed.

Agree with all that except I thought Hibbo was fine. Maybe not best 22 anymore but im certainly not going to be concerned about him getting games. He can still play a role in the backline when needed.

Yeah, I wasn't super offended by him just feel like he's a depth player at best these days. Same boat as a lot of our older blokes who are getting replaced. I'd hope some of our Casey guys see that as a spot up for grabs.

Couple more thoughts..

Rivers playing more midfield time has somehow made him a better defender. Looks more confident. Not shitting himself and dropping marks.

Agree with the thought that Petracca was meh, but had a real 'almost' game. Got caught a couple of times and mis-kicked at goal when he had chances. Should be better but could have been nearly bog if he was a little cleaner.

Wait until you see him snap up a half volley and shoot out a perfect handball to a runner. ******* peak stupid not giving him games last season.

Wait until you see him snap up a half volley and shoot out a perfect handball to a runner. ******* peak stupid not giving him games last season.

100% , can't believe Goody gave us both JVR and Petty forward in the same week.

He's a slow learner but at least he's not as stubborn as I thought he was.

100% , can't believe Goody gave us both JVR and Petty forward in the same week.

He's a slow learner but at least he's not as stubborn as I thought he was.
Last week feels like the wake up call we desperately needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back