Deliberate OOB rule: Is the game being deliberately sabotaged?

Remove this Banner Ad

The rule changes since demetriou took over have been done for one purpose only - keep games as close as possible.
It is identical to the NBA. You might get one or two blow outs a year, but normally, the umpires will be very soft on the team that's trailing, and very hard on the team that's in front.
Later in the season they manipulate it to get the best seedlings for the play offs

It's all about $$$

What is wrong with deliberately going OOB in the first place?

The easiest solution is to simply remove the ******* rule. Both teams can be free to run it out at any time.

Exactly !!

Why do we actually need to penalise players for taking the ball out of bounds or rushing through a behind ??

The AFL rules bozos keep making unnecessary changes to fix the previous errors they implemented plus they add in the "it will make the game more exciting or a better spectacle.

Well guess what, their constant changes have done the complete opposite to the game.

I will say one thing.
No way would Port have been able to steal that game on Saturday if there was a third man up allowed.
Surprised Patrick Keane hasnt taken credit yet with a tweet.

I like the rule. They were too harsh a few weeks ago but seem to have found the right balance really

Every rule is subject to interpretation

Did you see Grundy against the Hawks on Friday night? was incredible... literally just walked it across the line, all good.. throw it in... :rolleyes:

Yep...the funny thing about the deliberate out of bounds is the ones that are most deliberate (where the player takes the tackled player over the line to avoid holding the ball) are never paid.

Would think it would be easier to stay in bounds when tackled then keeping a mongrel clearing kick from your own backline in play.

Yep...the funny thing about the deliberate out of bounds is the ones that are most deliberate (where the player takes the tackled player over the line to avoid holding the ball) are never paid.

Would think it would be easier to stay in bounds when tackled then keeping a mongrel clearing kick from your own backline in play.

Yep, Kick off the ground 40m down the line ball takes a bounce like a dogs hind leg out bounds, deliberate..... "Fumbles" it across to avoid getting tackled, throw it in. These umpires are humans as well right? Why can everyone else see it and not those 3 potatoes.

Exactly !!

Why do we actually need to penalise players for taking the ball out of bounds or rushing through a behind ??

The AFL rules bozos keep making unnecessary changes to fix the previous errors they implemented plus they add in the "it will make the game more exciting or a better spectacle.

Well guess what, their constant changes have done the complete opposite to the game.

Do you want to see a hundred throw ins a game and players taking the easy option or to see supposed skilled footballers deal with a pressure situation? We definitely went too far with this interpretation last season and early this season but we are getting closer to getting it right.

At least we are not penalising skill errors (poor kicks off the side of the boot) anymore.

Do you want to see a hundred throw ins a game and players taking the easy option or to see supposed skilled footballers deal with a pressure situation? We definitely went too far with this interpretation last season and early this season but we are getting closer to getting it right.

At least we are not penalising skill errors (poor kicks off the side of the boot) anymore.
By "early this season", you mean "last week", right?

Ha. Possibly but genuinely think, week by week, its getting closer to where it should be.
The key with any of these rules, is whether they will be applied when the heat is on late in a crucial game.
Saw one last week where Carlisle went straight to the boundary with 25 seconds left.... not called because its a controversial call to get right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key with any of these rules, is whether they will be applied when the heat is on late in a crucial game.
Saw one last week where Carlisle went straight to the boundary with 25 seconds left.... not called because its a controversial call to get right.
Try josh Kennedy in the Hawks v swans last week. No one within 5m of him, fumbles it 20 times, picks it up, turns around and backtracks over the line.

The rule is there for one reason only, to reduce the running time of games.

For the most part, I like the new ruling of the deliberate out of bounds. It creates less throw-ins, and the game is more free-flowing.
My main gripe is when a player is under pressure by a would-be tackler, there should be some leeway for him to kick/handball to go astray, and not be too harsh with a deliberate call.

For the most part, I like the new ruling of the deliberate out of bounds. It creates less throw-ins, and the game is more free-flowing.
My main gripe is when a player is under pressure by a would-be tackler, there should be some leeway for him to kick/handball to go astray, and not be too harsh with a deliberate call.
Yep, the two main areas where it needs to be tidied up are this one - I've seen a few poor calls where a player has been under immense pressure when kicking, to the point of even having to kick around the body of the would-be tackler, to have the ball go out of bounds and called deliberate, and the ones that bounce 90 degrees and go out. There was a bad one against Carlton last week where it was kicked out of defense towards the wing. Had at least one player from each team running towards where the ball was going to land, the ball landed maybe 4m from the boundary and bounced a sharp right hander over the line and was called deliberate. Had it bounced straight, both players would have run on to it for a 50/50 contest.

There seems to be no common sense applied. I don't have a problem with a few 50/50 calls going each way. You win some, you lose some and umpires CAN make mistakes, but if a ball bounces at right angles to it's intended trajectory, clearly that's not deliberate.

Yeah terrible rule, or should i at least say the way it is interpreted and applied.

If it is CLEARLY deliberately put oob then i can understand, but seems these days the umpires are too trigger happy as soon as the ball goes oob to call a free kick instead of just throwing it back in. Some of the decisions where the ball travels 30-40m up the field bounces at right angles and trickles over the boundry being called deliberate are nothing more than a disgraceful call.

The way i see the the rules these days are there are too many grey areas and areas open to the way they are interpreted then simple black and white rules, prime example is the deliberate oob and rush behind rules.

the whole reason the rushed behind rule came in was after the 2008 grand final where Hawthorn rushed all the behinds, I am a Geelong supporter and saw nothing wrong with what Hawthorn did or why there should be a rule bought in for this.

Whats wrong with rushing a behind and getting a kick out? Whats wrong with kicking the ball to advantage 40m up field or 5m coz there are no other safe options to retain possession?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back