List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents who are better than players currently on our list

Barlow to Suns probably.

GC is working to ensure its list represents the local population

Half under 21 pill popping schoolies

Half has been pill popping players awaiting retirement in gods waiting room

TheSmokingGun

All Australian
Aug 28, 2016
Punt Road, worshipping the Jack Dyer statue
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
GC is working to ensure its list represents the local population

Half under 21 pill popping schoolies

Half has been pill popping players awaiting retirement in gods waiting room

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

Can't remember which thread it was but there was this poster that was saying that based on his posting history his mail was spot on and was under the impression we would get Barlow.
Might need to do some sleuthing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Can't remember which thread it was but there was this poster that was saying that based on his posting history his mail was spot on and was under the impression we would get Barlow.
Might need to do some sleuthing.

Was it Tiger71 and did he call it a "lock"?

Was it Tiger71 and did he call it a "lock"?

Was waiting for him to get tagged.
On this occasion it wasn't Tiger71
It was some person that doesn't post much who claimed to have got everything right so far due to his solid mail.
Think it may have been on the Yarran thread, but it's hard to sift through that one.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Was waiting for him to get tagged.
On this occasion it wasn't Tiger71
It was some person that doesn't post much who claimed to have got everything right so far due to his solid mail.
Think it may have been on the Yarran thread, but it's hard to sift through that one.

Lol even worse it's probably in one of the 4 x 400 page trade/fa threads :eek:

Lol even worse it's probably in one of the 4 x 400 page trade/fa threads :eek:

Said poster won't receive their due penance due to my laziness. This world is so unjust.

Still-Waiting...

Senior List
Dec 9, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Said poster won't receive their due penance due to my laziness. This world is so unjust.

Possibly me in the list change thread:

Post was
A.Moore out
M.Barlow in

To be fair we wanted him & tried to get him for his leadership, club values & work ethic.
Obviously, and fair enough, more chance of game day action up there.

Possibly me in the list change thread:

Post was
A.Moore out
M.Barlow in

To be fair we wanted him & tried to get him for his leadership, club values & work ethic.
Obviously, and fair enough, more chance of game day action up there.

Props for owning up. Your username isn't what I envisaged though.
I swear it was someone else, but oh well.

You were wrongggggg

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I was looking at the list of delisted free agents earlier and was amazed at some of the names clubs will essentially be able to pick up for free. The following eight players would be significant upgrades on the battlers/plodders/duds we still haven't moved on yet...

Michael Barlow > Townsend
Xavier Richards > Elton
Josh Green > Lambert
Cam O'Shea > Batchelor
Ricky Henderson > Grigg
Will Minson > Maric
Jack Grimes > Hunt
Matt Dea :rolleyes: > Morris

How many can we bring to the club?

It's that boring time of the year when you stumble over things like this from 2 years ago.
Can't argue with much, except for Josh Green being an improvement on Lambert.
Can't agree with much either. Would have been mostly replacing s**t or past it players with a different flavour of s**t.
Is this year's offerings - Sheridan, etc, likely to be similar?

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
It's that boring time of the year when you stumble over things like this from 2 years ago.
Can't agree with much either. Would have been mostly replacing s**t or past it players with a different flavour of s**t.
Think so, nothing on the list of those available is all that exciting, we can find better in the Draft & with more upside.

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Nice bump. Lambert was poor in 2016 and I simply did not foresee how crucial defensive pressure would become in the modern game.

The fashion in which Xavier Richards' career ended is truly bizarre. His last game was the 2016 Grand Final, then he wanted to leave Sydney and didn't get picked up by anyone. Surely there was a list spot for him somewhere if he was good enough for Grand Final selection at only 23 years old?

Henderson is decent and I honestly think Jack Grimes & Barlow could have thrived with better opportunities. Most of the other delisted free agents from 2016 have been quite average though admittedly.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It just goes to show we don't really know all that much hey... Or, we do but can be very surprised.

No one expected Lambert to turn into such a key member of our team. He is a gun now.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Officially gone from the list
4 mids - Conca, Miles, C Ellis, Drummond. All of them should be upgradeable with Miles being the hardest to replace.
2 rucks - Hampson, Chol. Bloody hell just about any mature type ruckman would give us an upgrade.
4 fwds - Griffiths KPF, Lloyd SML, Townsend MED, Stengle SML. In all honesty Lloyd is the best of this crop but hes been replaced by younger players.Hate to see Stengle go without us really trying him.

When you look at a spread sheet there are plenty of holes in the list.

Okay first up the list is screaming out for both outside and inside mids and bigger bodied ones as well. The overall number of mids is very low.we have just 12 mids on the list imo, somewhere around 16 -18 is needed.

Inside mids - Graham 181cm, Prestia 175cm, Cotchin 185cm. Not huge numbers. Two beauties in Prestia and Cotchin, Graham has some way to go to round his game out. What hits you is the lack of a powerhouse big bodied ball winner. reckon we could do with two big inside mids one straight away and one for development.Another inside/out mid would go okay as well

outside mids - Grigg 190cm, McIntosh 191cm, Lambert 178cm, Menadue 187cm. Just 4 outside mids. Grigg is 30 and in decline, McIntosh hardly touches the ball and is not clean, Menadue has regularly failed to grasp his chances when played and we are now to the point where we ask will he make it.
Lambert is very solid but he also spends some time fwd he wins enough of his own ball to be called inside/out.Imo three hard running quick skillful mids are needed to start with.

Mid Fwds - Martin 187cm, Higgins 177cm, Caddy 186cm, Edwards 182cm, Baker 173cm. I had this category because these players spend big chunks of time fwd robbing the midfield in Caddy and Martins case size grunt and our best clearance player. Martin is very much inside out as is Edwards and Higgins..

We have plenty of players who can go fwd and dont need anymore,We are hoping sml fwds like Rioli, Bolton and Butler may become a part of midfield rotations but i aint holding my breath on that. With our lack of mids we actually need the former to spend most of their time thru the midfield.

SML FWD- We have plenty and we also have sml mids who can go thru there.

Med Fwd - With Townsend being delisted we dont have a permanent one on the list amazing!!!!!!. We do have Caddy and Martin who spend plenty of time there.
Imo we need to address this.

Kpf/Tall Fwd - Lynch, Riewoldt and Moore, Depending on where Balta ends up, at this stage he looks like a KPD then we could do with one more.

Sml Def - Naish, Short, Houli, B Ellis. Plenty but imo the last three are very replaceable with chronic deficiencies in their games.

Med/Def - Eggmolesse-Smith, Markov, Vlastuin. One quality one rookie, and one who has failed to grasp his chances when given games id be looking for another medium mid who can defend a player and provide run carry and good ball use.

Kpd/Tall Def - Rance, Astbury, Miller, Balta, Broad, Garthwaite, Grimes. Probably one too many we have this area covered.

Rucks - Nankervis, Soldo, CC-J, Not sure about Soldo so maybe a mature type is needed.

To me we only really have depth in three areas. MID/FWD, SML/FWD, TALL/KP DEF, It is not about replacing like for like who have been delisted or replacing players on the list with potential upgrades.
At the moment we have 10 players gone and we need to replace them with the list in mind as well as trying to upgrade them.

Lastly outside of juniors under 22 the next 10 or so in the gun would go like this
Menadue, McIntosh, Castagna, Moore, Short, Houli,B Ellis, Markov, Broad, Soldo and even Grigg due to his age and declining form.With a lot of their deficiencies and lack of form at the top level im asking how hard would it be to find upgrades on them over the next few yrs.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Officially gone from the list
4 mids - Conca, Miles, C Ellis, Drummond. All of them should be upgradeable with Miles being the hardest to replace.
2 rucks - Hampson, Chol. Bloody hell just about any mature type ruckman would give us an upgrade.
4 fwds - Griffiths KPF, Lloyd SML, Townsend MED, Stengle SML. In all honesty Lloyd is the best of this crop but hes been replaced by younger players.Hate to see Stengle go without us really trying him.

When you look at a spread sheet there are plenty of holes in the list.

Okay first up the list is screaming out for both outside and inside mids and bigger bodied ones as well. The overall number of mids is very low.we have just 12 mids on the list imo, somewhere around 16 -18 is needed.

Inside mids - Graham 181cm, Prestia 175cm, Cotchin 185cm. Not huge numbers. Two beauties in Prestia and Cotchin, Graham has some way to go to round his game out. What hits you is the lack of a powerhouse big bodied ball winner. reckon we could do with two big inside mids one straight away and one for development.Another inside/out mid would go okay as well

outside mids - Grigg 190cm, McIntosh 191cm, Lambert 178cm, Menadue 187cm. Just 4 outside mids. Grigg is 30 and in decline, McIntosh hardly touches the ball and is not clean, Menadue has regularly failed to grasp his chances when played and we are now to the point where we ask will he make it.
Lambert is very solid but he also spends some time fwd he wins enough of his own ball to be called inside/out.Imo three hard running quick skillful mids are needed to start with.

Mid Fwds - Martin 187cm, Higgins 177cm, Caddy 186cm, Edwards 182cm, Baker 173cm. I had this category because these players spend big chunks of time fwd robbing the midfield in Caddy and Martins case size grunt and our best clearance player. Martin is very much inside out as is Edwards and Higgins..

We have plenty of players who can go fwd and dont need anymore,We are hoping sml fwds like Rioli, Bolton and Butler may become a part of midfield rotations but i aint holding my breath on that. With our lack of mids we actually need the former to spend most of their time thru the midfield.

SML FWD- We have plenty and we also have sml mids who can go thru there.

Med Fwd - With Townsend being delisted we dont have a permanent one on the list amazing!!!!!!. We do have Caddy and Martin who spend plenty of time there.
Imo we need to address this.

Kpf/Tall Fwd - Lynch, Riewoldt and Moore, Depending on where Balta ends up, at this stage he looks like a KPD then we could do with one more.

Sml Def - Naish, Short, Houli, B Ellis. Plenty but imo the last three are very replaceable with chronic deficiencies in their games.

Med/Def - Eggmolesse-Smith, Markov, Vlastuin. One quality one rookie, and one who has failed to grasp his chances when given games id be looking for another medium mid who can defend a player and provide run carry and good ball use.

Kpd/Tall Def - Rance, Astbury, Miller, Balta, Broad, Garthwaite, Grimes. Probably one too many we have this area covered.

Rucks - Nankervis, Soldo, CC-J, Not sure about Soldo so maybe a mature type is needed.

To me we only really have depth in three areas. MID/FWD, SML/FWD, TALL/KP DEF, It is not about replacing like for like who have been delisted or replacing players on the list with potential upgrades.
At the moment we have 10 players gone and we need to replace them with the list in mind as well as trying to upgrade them.

Lastly outside of juniors under 22 the next 10 or so in the gun would go like this
Menadue, McIntosh, Castagna, Moore, Short, Houli,B Ellis, Markov, Broad, Soldo and even Grigg due to his age and declining form.With a lot of their deficiencies and lack of form at the top level im asking how hard would it be to find upgrades on them over the next few yrs.

Grigg and Houli will retire next season there going to go no doubt.Broad don't know what people's issue with him his not there to get 25 possies a week just do his job and stop his man.Versitile to big or small he plays on.Short needs to improve his defence side of his game that will come don't think he needs to be upgraded unless he doesn't fo it.Soldo is backup and just backup did his job against Witts when Nank was out, as you said target a state league ruck or a Tom Campbell.We need Markov and Menadue and Baker to step up in 2019 I think Markov can,Menadue I'm not sure if he has believe. Moore can play I was spewing we didn't give him more game time to develop needs games. George for me can be replaced Bolton needs to step up tho.

This draft we need midfielders inside and outside no doubt draft 4 and get a couple of state leagues.Our KP is set for me maybe a rookie etc but in Balta,Miller and Garth,CCJ that's a spine there.Not doom and gloom our list.Who could we target from wafl,sanfl etc.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Back