List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents who are better than players currently on our list

Remove this Banner Ad

I presume the club is having or has had a serious look at Xavier Richards.
He would provide some tall back-up but I'm not hearing hugely positive things about him, particularly from Swans supporters.
They don't sound like their bitterly slagging him for wanting to leave, just consider him generally soft and don't see him as quality.

In the end, I'm not too fussed if we get him or pass.

I went looking for delisted players who have been picked up and become a success and found the following list:
Not hugely inspiring when Taylor Hunt & Robin Nahas make the top 7.....
Unless looking for a specific role-player I say ignore them and hit the draft.

1. JOEL HAMLING

Delisted from Geelong and picked up by the Western Bulldogs in 2014

Hamling’s success at his second AFL club can be summed up in one word: premiership. The plucky defender only played 12 games in 2016, but kept his spot in the side from Round 19 onwards. In the grand final against Sydney, he was given the gargantuan task of playing primarily on Lance Franklin. But Hamling was undaunted. Buddy only kicked one goal. Despite his success at the Bulldogs, Hamling requested a trade back to Western Australia and will play under Ross Lyon at Fremantle in 2017.

2. JONATHAN SIMPKIN

Delisted from Geelong and picked up by Hawthorn in 2012

Another premiership player delisted from Geelong, Simpkin made the most of his first season at Hawthorn in 2013. After being dropped in Round 20, he returned to play Fremantle in the grand final as Brendan Whitecross’ replacement. While 2014 was arguably a better season for Simpkin, he became the heartbreak story of that year, making way for the returning Cyril Rioli in the grand final. Simpkin was given another lifeline from Essendon as a top-up player in 2016.

3. MITCH ROBINSON

Delisted from Carlton and picked up by Brisbane in 2014

Not the most talented of players, Robinson’s will to work hard saw him win Brisbane’s best and fairest award in his first season at the club in 2015. Averaging 20.8 touches per game, Robinson laid the sixth most tackles in the competition — a statistic that sums up his tenacity. Robinson backed up his impressive debut season at the Lions in 2016, finishing runner-up in Merrett-Murray Medal.

4. JEREMY LAIDLER

Delisted from Carlton and picked up by Sydney in 2013

Before becoming a Swan, Laidler only managed 26 games across five seasons at two clubs (Carlton and Geelong). Since his move north, however, the 27-year-old defender has played 58 games in three years, including this year’s grand final. Laidler signed a two-year deal in April to keep him at the club until at least the end of 2018.

5. TIM MEMBREY

Delisted from Sydney and picked up by St Kilda in 2014

Membrey was one of the breakout players of 2016, kicking 44 goals as a medium-sized forward. The 22-year-old played one match for the Swans, as he struggled to crack into the talented outfit. While Membrey only played nine games in his first season at the Saints, his position in the starting 22 is all but secure after topping the club’s goalkicking charts this season. There’s no doubt Sydney would be ruing its decision to let him go so cheaply.

OTHER NOTABLE PLAYERS

Taylor Hunt (Delisted from Geelong and picked up by Richmond in 2014)

Robin Nahas (Delisted from Richmond and picked up by North Melbourne in 2013)

All this talk about Fyfe in here and no references to the last real deal doozy we recruited to the club and what a broken leg that kept him out for a season did to his career. You cannot compare Danger to Fyfe and for that matter JOM. Cats put out for danger but he came with no maybes or what ifs. Pass on Fyfe. If we reach for a doozy I would be targeting bigger big fish like Lynden Dunns etc :D

I haven't been impressed by the current batch of free agents at all but something just popped up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-05/defender-set-to-come-out-of-the-schade-back-in-the-suns

I haven't seen a lot of him but from limited viewing he seems to have some handy attributes and has plenty of scope to become a quality AFL defender. Definitely worth a look at IMO.

Anyone here followed his career more closely? Is he worth pinching from under GCS nose?

I haven't been impressed by the current batch of free agents at all but something just popped up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-05/defender-set-to-come-out-of-the-schade-back-in-the-suns

I haven't seen a lot of him but from limited viewing he seems to have some handy attributes and has plenty of scope to become a quality AFL defender. Definitely worth a look at IMO.

Anyone here followed his career more closely? Is he worth pinching from under GCS nose?

Schade is the only KPP i would consider from the delisted players but only if he is available at our Rookie selection, Would be good cover and is at the right age with a bit of height. have not seen much of him biut what i have seen isnt too bad and has alot to work with

Rance,Rutten & Leppa may just turn him into a reliable player that could play foward and back

Michael Barlow > Townsend
Xavier Richards > Elton
Josh Green > Lambert
Cam O'Shea > Batchelor
Ricky Henderson > Grigg
Will Minson > Maric
Jack Grimes > Hunt
Matt Dea :rolleyes: > Morris

Almost of these comparisons aren't even between players that play the same position.

You also overrate a few of the free agents, especially Green, O'Shea and Henderson.

I liked the look of Henry Schade from the Suns. Was delisted to make way for their plethora of draft picks this year. But will be rookied if not picked up. 197cm key defender.

I went looking for delisted players who have been picked up and become a success and found the following list:
Not hugely inspiring when Taylor Hunt & Robin Nahas make the top 7.....
Unless looking for a specific role-player I say ignore them and hit the draft.

1. JOEL HAMLING

Delisted from Geelong and picked up by the Western Bulldogs in 2014

Hamling’s success at his second AFL club can be summed up in one word: premiership. The plucky defender only played 12 games in 2016, but kept his spot in the side from Round 19 onwards. In the grand final against Sydney, he was given the gargantuan task of playing primarily on Lance Franklin. But Hamling was undaunted. Buddy only kicked one goal. Despite his success at the Bulldogs, Hamling requested a trade back to Western Australia and will play under Ross Lyon at Fremantle in 2017.

2. JONATHAN SIMPKIN

Delisted from Geelong and picked up by Hawthorn in 2012

Another premiership player delisted from Geelong, Simpkin made the most of his first season at Hawthorn in 2013. After being dropped in Round 20, he returned to play Fremantle in the grand final as Brendan Whitecross’ replacement. While 2014 was arguably a better season for Simpkin, he became the heartbreak story of that year, making way for the returning Cyril Rioli in the grand final. Simpkin was given another lifeline from Essendon as a top-up player in 2016.

3. MITCH ROBINSON

Delisted from Carlton and picked up by Brisbane in 2014

Not the most talented of players, Robinson’s will to work hard saw him win Brisbane’s best and fairest award in his first season at the club in 2015. Averaging 20.8 touches per game, Robinson laid the sixth most tackles in the competition — a statistic that sums up his tenacity. Robinson backed up his impressive debut season at the Lions in 2016, finishing runner-up in Merrett-Murray Medal.

4. JEREMY LAIDLER

Delisted from Carlton and picked up by Sydney in 2013

Before becoming a Swan, Laidler only managed 26 games across five seasons at two clubs (Carlton and Geelong). Since his move north, however, the 27-year-old defender has played 58 games in three years, including this year’s grand final. Laidler signed a two-year deal in April to keep him at the club until at least the end of 2018.

5. TIM MEMBREY

Delisted from Sydney and picked up by St Kilda in 2014

Membrey was one of the breakout players of 2016, kicking 44 goals as a medium-sized forward. The 22-year-old played one match for the Swans, as he struggled to crack into the talented outfit. While Membrey only played nine games in his first season at the Saints, his position in the starting 22 is all but secure after topping the club’s goalkicking charts this season. There’s no doubt Sydney would be ruing its decision to let him go so cheaply.

OTHER NOTABLE PLAYERS

Taylor Hunt (Delisted from Geelong and picked up by Richmond in 2014)

Robin Nahas (Delisted from Richmond and picked up by North Melbourne in 2013)
Hardly any stars in this list, doesn't help the argument

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the look of Henry Schade from the Suns. Was delisted to make way for their plethora of draft picks this year. But will be rookied if not picked up. 197cm key defender.
Great name is Henry. Better than Astbury?

If we went DFA then I don't see us filling holes so much as getting depth. Does this change opinion because they won't be A or even B graders? Maybe Rookied is the better option than taking up AFL space?

Know we need KPP but I don't see anything long term here. Maybe next year with our picks we get some in trade or go the long route.

Sigh. It's like when I use to scream for small forwards. Then we get them albeit way after I thought we needed them. Then the midfield screams help. Seems much the same with KPP. Maybe it's just the draft but can't help but feel we are playing catch up.

Want to skip the whole Fyfe love and get ahead of the eight ball.

Fyfe>Dustin Martin
Neale>Prestia
Mundy>Cotchin
Hill> Miles
Walters>Edwards
If our midfield is one of the worst in The Comp then how bad is yours?
Cotchin over Mundy both as a player and as a captain. The rest I agree with.

But, I have a couple of questions for you.

- Why did you omit Caddy? He is a solid B grader.
- What about Brandon Ellis? At his best, he can be a solid B grader
- What about Vlastuin, who is well capable of playing in the midfield and playing well too?
- What about Grigg, who is a solid B-grader and was actually in our top 5 of the best and fairest?

It appears to me that you are selecting a couple your midfielders that you think are better than some of our midfielders and are trying to base the quality of each midfield based on that. This is not how the quality of a midfield is determined.

If we went DFA then I don't see us filling holes so much as getting depth. Does this change opinion because they won't be A or even B graders? Maybe Rookied is the better option than taking up AFL space?

Know we need KPP but I don't see anything long term here. Maybe next year with our picks we get some in trade or go the long route.

Sigh. It's like when I use to scream for small forwards. Then we get them albeit way after I thought we needed them. Then the midfield screams help. Seems much the same with KPP. Maybe it's just the draft but can't help but feel we are playing catch up.

Want to skip the whole Fyfe love and get ahead of the eight ball.
:eek:

Wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, is he any good
Suns first selection in the 2011 draft. Has been forced to play NEAFL due to suns preferring Sam Day, Rory Thompson, Steven May and Kolodjashnij rotating through their key defensive positions. Just because he was delisted, doesn't mean he's no good. Gold Coast have surprisingly good depth and quality key position players. That's their strongest position. As well as GWS with their midfielders. I'd take Schade and Jake Barrett from GWS. Especially over Xavier Richards

Suns first selection in the 2011 draft. Has been forced to play NEAFL due to suns preferring Sam Day, Rory Thompson, Steven May and Kolodjashnij rotating through their key defensive positions. Just because he was delisted, doesn't mean he's no good. Gold Coast have surprisingly good depth and quality key position players. That's their strongest position. As well as GWS with their midfielders. I'd take Schade and Jake Barrett from GWS. Especially over Xavier Richards
:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: - Agree 100%

If we could get either on a Rookie spot would be perfect as they both fill area's that we are lacking

So what you are suggesting is that after losing Prestia and JOM and that on top of getting rid of. Bennel the Suns are now delisting a player that can actually play, correct? Like there is no chance that this Schade dude isn't a dud that was delisted because the team that delisted him have this mythical depth that had them kicking butt. i think not. At this point in time with the exodus of talent from that mob the last thing they would do is delist it as well.

Schade is too skinny and hasn't impressed enough to make him valuable. In his draft year I thought he was just a good ordinary player.

I like Jake Barrett quite a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back