Universal Love Demonbracket50 - Celebrating your favourites from the last 50 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Comrades,

In order to fill these dull-end of season months I have been persuaded to run an 'all time' Demonbracket knockout competition throughout November and early December. It will focus on debutantes from 1965 to the present - with the exception of anyone who will still be playing (i.e current players and ex-MFCists) in 2015.

More details and a list of the 128 players in the mix here http://mfcdemonblog.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/demonbracket-50-your-comprehensive-guide.html. In an AFL fixture style stretching the drama the first round draw will be released 10am tomorrow morning on the website and via Twitter (@demonblog).

Unlike the main event Demonbracket (January/February 2015 - put it in your calendar) voting will be conducted via polls on the site only, and you'll have a couple of days for each matchup but I'll post more details when they're available.

Happy voting citizens, and may your favourite bizarre and obscure player (who played enough games to qualify, sorry Isaac Weetra fanatics) at least make the quarters.

Last edited:

Friends, our balls have dropped and the complete first round draw can now been seen here. Links to voting will be posted here on Wednesday, but until then feel free to speculate until you can't stand upright.

Fan favourite Russel Robbertson is a stayer, has he got the legs though? My smoky is Danny Hughes.

The Godfrey v Rigoni battle is a classic. Two journeyman wildcard qualifiers from a tennis sense, and 1 a smoky to fluke his way to a QF ala Mark Woodforde at the Australian Open!

Gerard Healy v Hardeman, Keenan v Jeff White, Steven Stretch v Shaun Smith, Jako v Ocean NTTAWWT, Brad G v Wiz all highlights.

But the one that guts me personally? Two of my genuine MFC favourites - Peter Rhode v Yze!

And the potential second round match up between two more of my faves, Steve O Dwyer & Robbo!

My prediction for the biggest whitewash is Jurrah v Morton, closely followed by Jolly v Febey.

Can't see either of Morton or Jolly polling a single vote in those match ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Austin Wonaeamirri for winning the warm-up event with 22%. Tears before bedtime for Paul Bryce and Robert Pyman who were the only players who failed to register a vote.

The first round proper will commence at 7am Wednesday and run until 7pm Thursday night. Vote here.

Alves v Tingay in the first round? Boo.

And Round 1, Part 1 is DONE. Lots of thrashings, and just when Stan Alves thought getting sacked by St Kilda was the worst thing to happen to him in the last 50 years he becomes our first departing seed.

1. Robert Flower 236 (96%) d. Ray Biffen 9 (4%)
Clint Bartram 219 (89%) d. Shane Grambeau 26 (11%)
Sean Wight 225 (92%) d. Nathan Carroll 20 (8%)
Anthony Ingerson 181 (74%) d. Greg Parke 64 (26%)
Peter Walsh 211 (86%) d. Dale Dickson 34 (14%)
Henry Coles 171 (70%) d. Matthew Warnock 74 (30%)
Andrew Obst 213 (87%) d. Kelly O'Donnell 32 (13%)
9. Brett Lovett 233 (95%) d. George Lakes 12 (5%)
Stephen Tingay 159 (65%) d. 12. Stan Alves 86 (35%)
Alan Jarrott 204 (83%) d. Shane Fitzsimmons 41 (17%)
David Schwarz 241 (98%) d. Shane Zantuck 4 (2%)
Brian Wilson 210 (86%) d. Ryan Ferguson 35 (14%)
Darren Kowal 197 (80%) d. Andrew Moir 48 (20%)
Aaron Davey 222 (91%) d. Paul Callery 23 (9%)
Graham Osborne 132 (54%) d. Anthony Dullard 113 (46%)
5. Steven Febey 233 (95%) d. Darren Jolly 12 (5%)

Surf the information superhighway to continue voting in the second part of round 1, which ends 7pm Monday night. Plenty more thrillers in this round I assume.

Poor Ray Biffen. Just how many thumbs did Robbie Flower break punching full forwards in the back of the head with a swinging round arm? Huh?

Who the hell voted for Zantuck???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Even the Kiss of Death voters largely abandoned him. I bet it wasn't Ron Barassi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back