Teams Denver Broncos - The Mile High Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr. Irrelevant could soon be anything but in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2018, 6:23 PM EDT

For the first time in three years, the Broncos have known for months who they’ll starting quarterback will be. But there’s an unlikely competition for the No. 2 spot, and the guy taken last in the 2017 draft has a real chance to win it.

Chad Kelly, low-level seventh-rounder, could actually beat out 2016 first-round pick Paxton Lynch to be the understudy to Case Keenum. Kelly helped his case during a Sunday scrimmage.

“Chad looked good,” coach Vance Joseph told reporters. “I think he threw two touchdowns within five plays. Yeah, he looked good.”

Joseph said Kelly has yet to get any practice reps with the second-team offense, but Joseph didn’t rule it out.

“It could happen in the future,” Joseph said. “He’s a playmaker. He’s always been a playmaker. You watch his college tape two years ago, he just makes plays. It doesn’t always look pretty, but he just makes plays.”

Does Kelly think he deserves reps with the second offense?

“No, I just have to keep on performing to the best of my ability,” Kelly told reporters. “Go out there and try to execute whatever play call is called, find the open guy and bring my team down the field. Whether it’s with the ones, twos or threes, I’m focused on trying to get better in the classroom and out here on the football field.”

On the field, Kelly is simply trying to win over his teammates.

“[Quarterbacks] Coach [Mike] Sullivan preaches, ‘You’ve got to market yourself in the huddle,'” Kelly said. “‘You’ve got to go in there confident, you’ve got to go in there making sure those guys have a sense of urgency of completing this play and doing well during the play, and everybody’s doing their jobs.'”

So what does he plan to do as he stakes a claim for the backup job as the preseason begins?

“Just keep completing the football, making great decisions with the ball in my hands, making sure we end every drive ends in a kick — whether it’s an extra point, a punt or a field goal,” Kelly said. “I’m excited for this opportunity. A lot of these guys are excited to get out there and have fun. We haven’t played football in a year — myself two years — so it’ll be fun to get out there with those guys and execute.”

With Keenum only under contract for two years, Kelly could end up being the future of the position for the Broncos, cementing the connection between Hall of Famer John Elway, who drafted Kelly, and Kelly’s uncle, Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

Mr. Irrelevant could soon be anything but in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2018, 6:23 PM EDT

For the first time in three years, the Broncos have known for months who they’ll starting quarterback will be. But there’s an unlikely competition for the No. 2 spot, and the guy taken last in the 2017 draft has a real chance to win it.

Chad Kelly, low-level seventh-rounder, could actually beat out 2016 first-round pick Paxton Lynch to be the understudy to Case Keenum. Kelly helped his case during a Sunday scrimmage.

“Chad looked good,” coach Vance Joseph told reporters. “I think he threw two touchdowns within five plays. Yeah, he looked good.”

Joseph said Kelly has yet to get any practice reps with the second-team offense, but Joseph didn’t rule it out.

“It could happen in the future,” Joseph said. “He’s a playmaker. He’s always been a playmaker. You watch his college tape two years ago, he just makes plays. It doesn’t always look pretty, but he just makes plays.”

Does Kelly think he deserves reps with the second offense?

“No, I just have to keep on performing to the best of my ability,” Kelly told reporters. “Go out there and try to execute whatever play call is called, find the open guy and bring my team down the field. Whether it’s with the ones, twos or threes, I’m focused on trying to get better in the classroom and out here on the football field.”

On the field, Kelly is simply trying to win over his teammates.

“[Quarterbacks] Coach [Mike] Sullivan preaches, ‘You’ve got to market yourself in the huddle,'” Kelly said. “‘You’ve got to go in there confident, you’ve got to go in there making sure those guys have a sense of urgency of completing this play and doing well during the play, and everybody’s doing their jobs.'”

So what does he plan to do as he stakes a claim for the backup job as the preseason begins?

“Just keep completing the football, making great decisions with the ball in my hands, making sure we end every drive ends in a kick — whether it’s an extra point, a punt or a field goal,” Kelly said. “I’m excited for this opportunity. A lot of these guys are excited to get out there and have fun. We haven’t played football in a year — myself two years — so it’ll be fun to get out there with those guys and execute.”

With Keenum only under contract for two years, Kelly could end up being the future of the position for the Broncos, cementing the connection between Hall of Famer John Elway, who drafted Kelly, and Kelly’s uncle, Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.
its preseason and the fluff is everwhere

that said, you still gotta make the plays.
He aint no QBOTF or anything - but he might make it as a #2 for a while as he develops. And this is really his first year after red shirting last year.
Things to work with and is doing and saying all the right things - especially when the knock on him was attitude.

Go Broncos

its preseason and the fluff is everwhere

that said, you still gotta make the plays.
He aint no QBOTF or anything - but he might make it as a #2 for a while as he develops. And this is really his first year after red shirting last year.
Things to work with and is doing and saying all the right things - especially when the knock on him was attitude.

Go Broncos
Agree with everything you said....except the go Broncos. Still, he could surprise. From time to time franchise QBs come from udfas so possible a Mr irrelevant.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mas-reinvigorated-by-radical-lifestyle-change

Interesting article on DT. It appears his hip injury has been worse than what's been let out previously, and I didn't even know about the neck injury. Contrary to most Broncos fans I've considered DT to be one of our toughest players, ever since the superbowl against the Seahawks. I remember thinking "Man, DT looks like he's the only one trying. The only one who cares". Even after he got blown up by Chancellor he still kept coming back and set a superbowl record for receptions.

Shame he's been so limited the last couple of seasons, but you have to give him some credit as his stats still haven't been awful. He's nowhere near PFM era DT, but he could've been a lot worse.

Just on his hip injury, is there any reason he couldn't have had surgery to sort it out years ago? There must be a reason they didn't, but I'd have thought it's something they'd have done.

Difference between Kelly and Lynch is night and day. Kelly has conviction with his throws, steps up and fires it in there, that's what happens when you have confidence in the playbook what the offense is doing. Lynch clearly doesn't have that.

I think my fears may have been confirmed in that our defense is just bog average now. The run D looked so horrible and that was our biggest strength of all last year

I honestly struggle to find many positives. Kelly looked good against players who aren't NFL worthy. We already knew McKenzie could do what he did, he just needed to actually catch the ball. Freeman had one good run, and he did look very good on that run, but I'm skeptical based on everything I've read/seen throughout preseason. Lindsay did look good, I hope he gets significant 3rd downs snaps this season

There's going to be a big load on the offense to carry their weight this year I think. Pass rush didn't look good. People are talking about it as a strength but other than Von the rest is average. Chubb obviously has potential but I'm not confident, I don't think he'll have that good of a year. Barrett and Ray are average.

Sort of can't tell if there's no talent on the roster or it's just all bad coaching. A bit of both. Guys like Marshall, Wolfe, Stewart have dropped off significantly from when this D was elite, but that's also a product of not being around Wade Phillip/Talib/Ware/Jackson/Ward/etc.

All things considered it was just one preseason game and hopefully it's a complete turn around in the next one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's something to Talibs comments saying "There's no dogs there anymore" or something along those lines.

It's been mentioned loads that Wade Phillips gets the best out of players and encourages the personalities in players, whereas now it seems we've gone the other way. Getting rid of everyone who is somewhat volatile and we want guys to toe the company line. Basically what I'm saying is it's the coaching not getting the best out of the players.

Marshall and Wolfe in particular have dropped significantly since Phillips left.

Imo there was more than 1 run from Freeman, all 4 were good. Two 4 yard runs and another was 6 or 7. Not so much the distance but how he finished them. Getting hit but pushing/falling forward for another couple of yards. Encouraging to see.

Just wait and see on the D... hard to tell from a single preseason game where the #1 D is on field for as long as it is...

Talib, Ward, Ware and Phillips were the 4 biggest leaders of that defense from what I can gather
As much as Talib seemed like a tosser he was voted captain by his teammates so was obviously doing something right. Similar with Ward, was really surprised when we traded him.

I don't remember, did Phillips resign or was he sacked? If he was sacked that's surely a very poor decision by the team.

As much as Talib seemed like a tosser he was voted captain by his teammates so was obviously doing something right. Similar with Ward, was really surprised when we traded him.

I don't remember, did Phillips resign or was he sacked? If he was sacked that's surely a very poor decision by the team.
His contract expired. We promoted Woods so that we wouldn't lose him

After the SB Phillips asked for an extension and raise but Elway said he could only have one. Then a year later moved on from him
Probably earned both tbf to him. Only coordinated one of the best defences in history that carried a team to the superbowl, what more could he do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back