Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Curiosity here, I presume the drugs help with what your feeling and lessening the effects of depression. But do you think it's helping 'fix' the issue or just covering and eventually you'll need more of the drugs?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
It holds at bay the fluctuation of your moods & your irritation thinking. For Eg if you’re still in the grip of depression & stop taking the medication, thoughts of your own self worth will come to the fore & that usually manifests in self destructive methods to help the ‘coping’ process. The drugs are the suppressive part of your healing, the harder part (for me at least) is the meetings with the psychologist & the feeling of inadequacy you feel compared to others.....I have been on the drugs for 5 years now & I really don’t know if I’ll ever get in a position to not need them anymore. I hope that helps a little bit, but each person is different at the same time. 👍

Yea that’s tough, & I’m currently on 150 mg, but to go up that 50mg I needed to take the questions again.... If you’re in flux than definitely go to the doc again mate. 👍
Curiosity here, I presume the drugs help with what your feeling and lessening the effects of depression. But do you think it's helping 'fix' the issue or just covering and eventually you'll need more of the drugs?

the drugs also help increase the seratonin imbalance that can occur in people with depression. Seratonin is the happy chemical in your body and some people don’t have as much as others and as such need to take medication to get the levels right.

Just scrolling through YouTube and this random poem comes up and for some reason it really hit me in the feels. Some of the lines relate directly to what I do wrong instead of right. Poem below plus a link to listen to Michael Cain recite it

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on”;

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings—nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run—
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

It holds at bay the fluctuation of your moods & your irritation thinking. For Eg if you’re still in the grip of depression & stop taking the medication, thoughts of your own self worth will come to the fore & that usually manifests in self destructive methods to help the ‘coping’ process. The drugs are the suppressive part of your healing, the harder part (for me at least) is the meetings with the psychologist & the feeling of inadequacy you feel compared to others.....I have been on the drugs for 5 years now & I really don’t know if I’ll ever get in a position to not need them anymore. I hope that helps a little bit, but each person is different at the same time.
Thanks, I don't suffer from depression at all but always wanting to understand more about it, how they deal with it or are treated. You never know when you might come across someone with it (seems it's more and more likely you will)

Thanks, I don't suffer from depression at all but always wanting to understand more about it, how they deal with it or are treated. You never know when you might come across someone with it (seems it's more and more likely you will)

It really is a hard thing to get your head around, literally, in my case I appear to have everything beautiful wife, dream job, dream home and property, minimal debt, 3 great kids but I hate myself so often, I have social anxiety and so often I feel like I just shouldn’t be alive. Most days I feel good but something can happen that just triggers me and my internal dialogue and I spiral downwards. The majority of my problems are caused by me and my inability to control my thoughts. Thankfully my wife can tell when I’m starting to slip and we talk and life is good again. I’m glad for forums like this where I’m not judged and am relatively anonymous and I can speak freely as it really helps a lot

It really is a hard thing to get your head around, literally, in my case I appear to have everything beautiful wife, dream job, dream home and property, minimal debt, 3 great kids but I hate myself so often, I have social anxiety and so often I feel like I just shouldn’t be alive. Most days I feel good but something can happen that just triggers me and my internal dialogue and I spiral downwards. The majority of my problems are caused by me and my inability to control my thoughts. Thankfully my wife can tell when I’m starting to slip and we talk and life is good again. I’m glad for forums like this where I’m not judged and am relatively anonymous and I can speak freely as it really helps a lot

Yep- its pretty good isnt it.

I have weeks to wait to see my psych (even longer in this case, because i had to reschedule the last appointment, so had to wait another 3 weeks- but fair enough, i was the one changing it)- so it is good to come in here, touch base, even vent.

To me you do have the perfect life- bc I battle loneliness on a daily (make that nightly) basis.
But of course everyone has their issues and I sure as hell wouldnt judge. All the best, anxiety is a bitch and a half.

I have weeks to wait to see my psych (even longer in this case, because i had to reschedule the last appointment, so had to wait another 3 weeks- but fair enough, i was the one changing it)- so it is good to come in here, touch base, even vent.

To me you do have the perfect life- bc I battle loneliness on a daily (make that nightly) basis.
But of course everyone has their issues and I sure as hell wouldnt judge. All the best, anxiety is a b*tch and a half.
When I’m alone, the only thing I want is company. When I get the company, I can’t wait to be alone again
Started working again this week for the first time in 7 weeks. See how it goes

When I’m alone, the only thing I want is company. When I get the company, I can’t wait to be alone again
Yep this is me to a tea, this is why I don’t really have friends anymore as I don’t invite anyone around and I always say I’m busy when people have asked if I’m doing something, now I don’t even have people contacting me. I see all these people having a good time with friends and I want that but I’ve thrown it all away.

But of course everyone has their issues and I sure as hell wouldnt judge. All the best, anxiety is a b*tch and a half.
The wait is the worst. You just want to speak to someone who understands.
Yep this is me to a tea, this is why I don’t really have friends anymore as I don’t invite anyone around and I always say I’m busy when people have asked if I’m doing something, now I don’t even have people contacting me. I see all these people having a good time with friends and I want that but I’ve thrown it all away.
I don't really have friends either. But I'm lucky I do have people who genuinely have my back

Started working again this week for the first time in 7 weeks. See how it goes
Only early days, but this is working out quite well. I’m working entirely for myself, whereas before I was contracting to mainly one large company. Now, I have the freedom to completely block half days or days out if I have my daughter for the day, or if I want to play nine holes. I’ll pretty much only work 7 days a fortnight, and rarely ever a full day. Even did a couple hours today with my daughter with me. Fingers crossed this works out for me 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know if Psychs do cheaper sessions for concession holders at all??
No. Need private health. I was referred but I can't afford it. Especially if I need extensive treatment. Strange how it's all ended up.
While a lot of the science is unproven it would help if I knew exactly wtf was wrong with me from an unbiased third party and how to navigate the world.
I think relationships australia do sessions based on your income.
They are an interesting one. They're gov funded for couples via referral to prevent divorce. Which is good to prevent divorce or at least negotiate if you have kids on future arrangements to prevent the social effects later on
But for those with no kids if your relationship is at the point you need referrals from a third party you're better off splitting imo

Im not sure that free appointments are a thing? But with a mental health care plan, you can now get 20 appointments a calendar year, with a rebate of about $125...so if they charge $200, out of pocket is around $75.

The other thing to remember is if you're registered for the Medicare Safety Net, once you reach a certain amount of out of pocket costs for the year, the gap payments that you pay until the end of December is quite small. In saying that though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to pass the safety net threshold if you are a single person (ie. Its obviously a lot easier when there are multiple people on your Medicare card).

Re cheaper rates - it may be possible that some psychologists charge lower rates in some circumstances (some appear to have a multiple approach to charging clients depending on income or student status etc), but its the type of thing you could only really find out by ringing around and asking about what various psychologists charge.

I'm flat. Just low all the time. Would love to be happy but can't. I've been told I wallow in my depression which is true but I know no other way. I can't relate to the world anymore.

I'm flat. Just low all the time. Would love to be happy but can't. I've been told I wallow in my depression which is true but I know no other way. I can't relate to the world anymore.
Just a few points of interest from what you’ve written. I totally get where you are, I’ve been there, I’m up and down all the time, but the one consistent thing with my mental state is the way I self talk to myself.
Look at what you’ve written, I’m flat, just low all the time, would love to be happy but can’t , I know no other way, I can’t , I can’t , I can’t.
let me tell you my friend you can be happy, you can find another way , you can you can you can. Your thought process has become a habit, a negative one, you are basically sabotaging any chance to be happy straight away with the self talk. It’s one of my biggest flaws but you can get better. One of the most mind blowing things I learnt from doing a mind power course was that , we are not our minds, our minds are simply a part of us they aren’t actually us. You need to start not believing all that stuff that goes on in your head, the mind is called the great trickster, it only thinks of itself and doesn’t always want to help you. You need to start catching these negative thoughts when they appear, acknowledge that what you’re thinking isn’t true and think of something positive and good. It’s all about retraining. I’ve posted it before but go on to YouTube and look up John Kehoe, and try and take in a few of his videos. You can get out of this funk you’re in, it’s going to be hard, there will be ups and downs but you can do it, I believe in you as would many others. Keep fighting mate , at the end of every night the sun rises

Lockdown yay. I guess I should be happy. I can chill and sleep in and hide. And sleep in.
But what if I want to talk with people hang chill or god forbid meet someone? Apparently that's wrong. We all can't decide things for ourselves.
I'm just lonely another Friday night but more bullshit.
I don’t know if this is something you’re interested but on BigFooty there is a fantasy football competition called the SFA https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/the-sweet-f-a-sfa-fantasy-footy-league.30/

I’ve been a part of it for close on ten years I think. It’s a great community where we all play for fantasy football teams where we have simulated matches each week. For me it is a great outlet for my depression as it gets me talking ,giving s**t to people and just having fun. There is also a group who have created a discord and on Friday nights we log on and chat and play game like cards against humanity.
like I said it’s been great for me and I have made some really good friends on there.

Lockdown yay. I guess I should be happy. I can chill and sleep in and hide. And sleep in.
But what if I want to talk with people hang chill or god forbid meet someone? Apparently that's wrong. We all can't decide things for ourselves.
I'm just lonely another Friday night but more bullshit.

I've been really trying to get out over the past few weeks to build up my confidence in social settings while flying solo. Was meant to use 2020 for this, with an eye to properly building myself a network here, outside of the office.

It's taken a lot of persistence, but am making progress. Feel a lot of that will get shredded if this drag on for weeks :/

Thank you everyone. But call me crazy but I feel good. I need to do a few things and we're locked down again But the degenerate corrupt sleziods who run this state are on borrowed time.
Chin up spready. Sometimes when I feel down, I look around, and feel somewhat better observing the abject self-absorbed behaviour and self promoting fools and attention seekers with no inherent problems except a pathetic desire to be noticed. I laugh at them and feel better.
Horizons are powerful elements. Look for them. All the best mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back