Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread has been really valuable for me. Not directly on topic but any help would be appreciated.

My 13 year old son has gradually got more and more depressed the last few months. No obvious trigger as he has a good school, sport, social and home life. He just kept saying how flat he felt and just lacked motivation and dropped some of his interests.

Trying to get the right help was hard in a broken Mental Health system. It culminated in some awful days for him (and us) and he attempted self harm three times in five days.

We were able to eventually get the right help and he is now on day five on fluoxetine. He appears to have a huge increase in energy but it has made the nights harder as he is now struggling with sleeping. Obviously with the risks associated with the medication my wife and I are watching him constantly.

The good thing is you can see he wants the help and is good at talking to people about it.

If anyone wants to share any of their experiences on fluoxetine I'd appreciate it as we are trying to understand it the best we can.

This thread has been really valuable for me. Not directly on topic but any help would be appreciated.

My 13 year old son has gradually got more and more depressed the last few months. No obvious trigger as he has a good school, sport, social and home life. He just kept saying how flat he felt and just lacked motivation and dropped some of his interests.

Trying to get the right help was hard in a broken Mental Health system. It culminated in some awful days for him (and us) and he attempted self harm three times in five days.

We were able to eventually get the right help and he is now on day five on fluoxetine. He appears to have a huge increase in energy but it has made the nights harder as he is now struggling with sleeping. Obviously with the risks associated with the medication my wife and I are watching him constantly.

The good thing is you can see he wants the help and is good at talking to people about it.

If anyone wants to share any of their experiences on fluoxetine I'd appreciate it as we are trying to understand it the best we can.

Hormonal changes? Id 100% desperately advise to seek multiple opinions on whatever path you take long term. Im not sure if you have or not but in a case of a 13 year old, I think you see atleast 3 different psychiatrists myself to seek differing opinions.

Id be alot more concerned about the overstimulation side effect as that is the actual first trigger towards suicidal thoughts side effects thereafter. Wouldnt sit on that and would see someone about it ASAP

A close friend of mine tried to kill himself a few days ago. Left a note for his partner and everything. They found him in time, but he's in a bad way at the moment and is under 24hr watch. He's got a young daughter so this has hit us all for six. None of us saw it coming at all.

I know a lot of people who suffer tend to think they're pretty good at picking up the signs, I know I did, but this has reminded me that as horrible as it is to suffer constantly, it's really important to rise above from time to time and make sure you're really aware of how those close to you are doing. As much as we should take care of ourselves we can't neglect those around us.

I know it's not my fault, but if I wasn't so wrapped up in myself maybe I could have spotted a warning sign and helped.

A close friend of mine tried to kill himself a few days ago. Left a note for his partner and everything. They found him in time, but he's in a bad way at the moment and is under 24hr watch. He's got a young daughter so this has hit us all for six. None of us saw it coming at all.

I know a lot of people who suffer tend to think they're pretty good at picking up the signs, I know I did, but this has reminded me that as horrible as it is to suffer constantly, it's really important to rise above from time to time and make sure you're really aware of how those close to you are doing. As much as we should take care of ourselves we can't neglect those around us.

I know it's not my fault, but if I wasn't so wrapped up in myself maybe I could have spotted a warning sign and helped.
You couldn't. Nothing you could've done at the time.
I'm actually dealing with similar stuff.
However much life falls apart there are others suffering as well. So take care of yourself and others

Fwiw it's a great thing he wants help. Find someone you trust if you can otherwise keep supporting.
Self harm is not good at all.He clearly is unhappy and feels things deeply (not your fault btw)
Just keep supporting. Schools Tafe unis etc are very confronting places.
Just find someone within them who can help. Best of luck

Its a ******* constant battle unfortunately. Was on top of the world when I wrote this post and was for a few weeks following. Out of nowhere, absolutely nothing that I can recall, I just woke up one morning and life was meaningless again. Have battled pretty severely for the past month. Peaks and valleys hey.
I hear you.
All I want is to get well.

Fwiw it's a great thing he wants help. Find someone you trust if you can otherwise keep supporting.
Self harm is not good at all.He clearly is unhappy and feels things deeply (not your fault btw)
Just keep supporting. Schools Tafe unis etc are very confronting places.
Just find someone within them who can help. Best of luck

Finding the doctor you trust needs to take longer then say looking for a new car and I feel like in a enormous amount of cases it does not. People go on a random ass referral or say go to someone they drove by on the way home

Best advice I can give is this. Go to a group therapy session and find a similar minded problem or person who considers themselves cured and are somewhat there for continued rehab. Go up to them and ask them for advice. Some doctors and I guess people in general respond and interact better with certain individuals for sure. You are much better off finding a doctor or psych from someone like minded then from someone who doesnt understand the mindset and is just throwing up the first name he can think of

Ffs why can’t I just be happy
I feel like this atm, I just had to reach out directly to my psychologist for another referral, I’m trying my hardest to always be “up” and jovial for the kids & at work, but it’s utterly exhausting & every night before bed I actually feel like I’m half drunk, when I’m a non drinker....Just feel s**t.

Also find a good psychologist. I’m making slow but nevertheless some progress.
Definitely agree on the psychologist, I’ve had 3 now & the lady I have seen ( & trying to see again ) is the most help for my particular issue.

This is such bullshit I give up. Too many issues and things never ever change. I've lost motivation because as well as trying to change myself for the better Im constantly navigating my own life based on the decisions of others. And ******* sick of it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is such bullshit I give up. Too many issues and things never ever change. I've lost motivation because as well as trying to change myself for the better Im constantly navigating my own life based on the decisions of others. And ******* sick of it all.

What decisions have others made for you?

Long story. It doesn't so much matter now just want to try get on with things

Can I be honest? Things isnt a plan. I know with Covidmania going on its hard to make plans, but you simply need to have them. Do you mind if I ask that you list them here?. So write a goal, then the action to complete said goal. I honestly think writing them down will help you alot. Id strongly recommend you tell as many people as you think you can. It just makes it real

Id actually recommend telling him this in person. It will be therapeutic to him and helpful. People wrap there head around there own definitions of themselves and sometimes you simply need to let someone know that your definition matters too, especially when its positive as yours is

Can I be honest? Things isnt a plan. I know with Covidmania going on its hard to make plans, but you simply need to have them. Do you mind if I ask that you list them here?. So write a goal, then the action to complete said goal. I honestly think writing them down will help you alot. Id strongly recommend you tell as many people as you think you can. It just makes it real

Will try but am exhausted and out of ideas atm. Need to get my head back in the game (just find a purpose) I once did but now just worn out and over it.

Will try but am exhausted and out of ideas atm. Need to get my head back in the game (just find a purpose) I once did but now just worn out and over it.

Do it first thing in the morning. Its too late in the day to answer that question. Your clarity in answer will be the first time you wake up. Focus your thinking in this respect early in the day.

Do psychologists even help ??after numerous sessions with mine he said that I just need to do things that make me happy to overcome my depression . It’s not that ******* simple, I actually feel worse in the two years since I saw my psych than I had in my previous 20 years of depression. I think I just have to keep on pretending everything is ok. Maybe one day it will be ok or it will all be over and done with.

Do psychologists even help ??after numerous sessions with mine he said that I just need to do things that make me happy to overcome my depression . It’s not that ******* simple, I actually feel worse in the two years since I saw my psych than I had in my previous 20 years of depression. I think I just have to keep on pretending everything is ok. Maybe one day it will be ok or it will all be over and done with.

I had one that was s**t in 2019 and it put me off them entirely. Tried again at the end of last year when I went off the edge a bit, and the progress that I've made with her is beyond what I thought was possible.

Don't let a bad experience put you off them completely.

I don't want to presume for anyone, but the difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist.

I have seen both. When it comes to mental health their is no "one size fits all" cure.

A psychiatrist is a medical Dr who can prescibe meds. Less about talking, more about prescribing. But do a bit of both. You need a GP referral. More expensive but get a Medicare rebate.
A psychologist is not a Dr, it's more about talking through your problems and using non-medicinal techniques. Less expensive, can get a Medicare rebate if your GP puts you on some "plan" that Medicare accept for x amount of sessions.

In my 17 years of treatment I have seen both. FOR ME, psychiatrists have been more effective. I can't talk myself out of my problems. Not saying you can't.

It is a tricky thing, mental health. It is still not fully understood.

A GP is the first port of call, but if you are not getting results, insist on change. I had a GP back in the day who just brushed me off, saying I was ok. I was devestated, it took so much courage for me to seek help and to get dismissed like that set me back a year. I suppose people with mental health issues are good with covering them up. I know I am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back