Design Ideas for new Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It is almost impossible to get a seat to some games at Subiaco if you are playing the Eagles. North Melbourne had to stop selling NMFC memberships to WA NMFC supporters that provided them with a seat at the Eagles game due to reaching the number of allocated away club seats the club had been given.

Currently if any NMFC supporter wants to go to the Rd 6 game at Subi and wasn't lucky enough to get one of the WA NMFC memberships then they have to try their luck at buying tickets when they go public on the 23rd. I and 3 friends have booked to come across to Perth from Melbourne for the rd 6 game, but if we can't get tickets then we have paid for flights/hotel/car hire for nothing. I don't know any other stadium that this occurs at in Australia!

Just make sure you're online at 9am WST on the Monday 2 weeks before the game and you'll be fine.

Just make sure you're online at 9am WST on the Monday 2 weeks before the game and you'll be fine.

I have done that before and missed out due to the limited allocation (and demand) to the public; this and the limits on allocations to opposition members is appalling and should be remedied in any new stadium.

Anyone saying our new stadium needs to be more than 60k is a twit. There is NOTHING worse than a half full stadium, unless you like atmosphere-less environments, than thats fine.

Melbourne is more than double the population of Perth, is the apparent mecca of football, and have a look at how often a 55k seat stadium in that city gets sold out.

60k in Perth is the absolute maximum... anything higher, and you're just building a dormant igloo.

...and for what its worth, no roof. Also, as far as the design goes, it doesn't matter what they come up with, because no matter what, the majority of nuffys in Perth will say it looks crap, and isn't worth the money.

You're fighting a losing battle with this logic.

Not sure about Olympics.

Before he quit the ABC Glenn Mitchell used to say repeatedly that any Olympics stadium needs to have a warm-up track "within walking distance" of the main stadium. I don't think we'll ever do that.

Sydney had 2 additional athletic facilities.

one for warm up and one for training. both are still there.

onto the stadium, maybe something that can be extended for big games. a lot of the NFL stadiums have this. (University of Pheonix Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.)

so a base capacity of 60000 with possibility of 70000 if needed

Photos

I like Aviva in Dublin this in an oval format with the North end open like that to help with grass growth in the winter and the possibility of putting temp seating at that end

5436344013_b6906cfbee.jpg

you could light it for whoever is the home team like Allianz in Munich pretty easily.

also has a lot of "green" ideas like rain water harvesting, waterless urinals, etc

Sydney had 2 additional athletic facilities.

one for warm up and one for training. both are still there.

onto the stadium, maybe something that can be extended for big games. a lot of the NFL stadiums have this. (University of Pheonix Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.)

so a base capacity of 60000 with possibility of 70000 if needed

Photos

I like Aviva in Dublin this in an oval format with the North end open like that to help with grass growth in the winter and the possibility of putting temp seating at that end

5436344013_b6906cfbee.jpg

you could light it for whoever is the home team like Allianz in Munich pretty easily.

also has a lot of "green" ideas like rain water harvesting, waterless urinals, etc

I hope you realise that Aviva stadium isn't like that intentionally, It was because of housing estates in the area.

An Olympics in Perth would be come at a massive cost because unlike Sydney and Melbourne they don't have the world class stadia there already.

One of the strategies is to offset the cost of needed sporting infrastructure by holding the Olympics. This is certainly the case with Perth now. The last injection of funds was for the Commonwealth games a long time ago. Perth's best hope is another for another Commonwealth Games. Pretty easy since nobody really wants them anymore. Perth has to learn from the last Commonwealth Games. The only decent structure we achieved was the swimming centre which is now well past it's used by date.

No way will Perth get the Olympics.
Perth is too isolated and politically there is zero support.

I hope you realise that Aviva stadium isn't like that intentionally, It was because of housing estates in the area.

you realise that having one open end is now an established stadium design concept.

there are any number of stadiums worldwide with an open end irrespective of location and includes fully enclosed stadiums. it actually makes the stadium lighter and adds to the feeling of space with additional benefits of allowing in sun in winter (if it was at the northern end of the new perth stadium.)

sometimes its for other reasons, like Braga's rock wall, or Adelaide's heritage trees, or Aviva's housing and sometimes the view (Pittsburgh), but just as often it's a design choice and as a design choice it's pretty common

you realise that having one open end is now an established stadium design concept.

there are any number of stadiums worldwide with an open end irrespective of location and includes fully enclosed stadiums. it actually makes the stadium lighter and adds to the feeling of space with additional benefits of allowing in sun in winter (if it was at the northern end of the new perth stadium.)

sometimes its for other reasons, like Braga's rock wall, or Adelaide's heritage trees, or Aviva's housing and sometimes the view (Pittsburgh), but just as often it's a design choice and as a design choice it's pretty common

I see your point, but in the case of Aviva stadium, it's actually a pretty big issue because the stadium doesn't seat enough people. While it was being built, Ireland played rugby at Croke Park (80,000 capacity) and were filling it. Now that they play at Aviva Stadium which fits only 50,000, you're effectively saying that 30,000 people can't go to the game.

This is one of the things that has to be considered when designing the new stadium in Perth is that sure it's great to have a nice looking stadium, but it has to be functional too.

I see your point, but in the case of Aviva stadium, it's actually a pretty big issue because the stadium doesn't seat enough people. While it was being built, Ireland played rugby at Croke Park (80,000 capacity) and were filling it. Now that they play at Aviva Stadium which fits only 50,000, you're effectively saying that 30,000 people can't go to the game.

This is one of the things that has to be considered when designing the new stadium in Perth is that sure it's great to have a nice looking stadium, but it has to be functional too.

you have seen Croke Park? the open end is standing room and holds 10K. the three seated sides hold 73000.

Aviva could have held 80000 in the design it's got. it just wasn't designed for that capacity.

I don't mind the idea of having one end partly open - it can be the gap left for eventual upgrade, Build three-tier grandstands in a horseshoe shape along each wing and behind one set of goal posts to provide the bulk of the 60,000 seats. The other end can be plugged later to upgrade to 70-80,000 as required, without needing to tear down any of the existing building.

I don't mind the idea of having one end partly open - it can be the gap left for eventual upgrade, Build three-tier grandstands in a horseshoe shape along each wing and behind one set of goal posts to provide the bulk of the 60,000 seats. The other end can be plugged later to upgrade to 70-80,000 as required, without needing to tear down any of the existing building.

I quite like this idea.

^^ That is essentially the plan. To leave the ends only with the ground tier with capacity at 60 000 then adding 5000 seat tiers above both ends to bring capacity up to 70 000. The building envelope will be built as if it were a 70 000 seater to begin with so expansion is cheaper and as little disruption as possible.

Ok - starting my first thread ever on BF.

What do we want out of the new stadium in Perth? Bear in mind it needs to cater for as many sports as possible for the next 50 years.

My ideas:

- Oval shaped ground (obviously)
- Similar dimensions to Subiaco Oval (long and narrow)
- Roughly North/South alignment to cater for cricket as well as Aussie rules footy, as well as so footy spectators on the outer aren't staring into the sun.
- A decent fixed roof over the southern and western ends to give shade and protect from rain.
- Moveable banks of seating on the eastern wing to cater for rectangular sports.

Given this though, it means main grandstands on both the western and southern ends, with media facilities and the like. Might be a bit of duplication of facilities. Otherwise it means dropping the Subi-like dimensions and building a replica MCG.

Thoughts?
I see that there is a little trouble with the government and Perth Glory, Tony Sage and Nic Tania and the NIB stadium arrangement.

You might be thinking that if they can,t organise that then maybe the gov doesn,t want to
organise anything that costs 85 million. The footy stadium will cost a hell of a lot more than 85 million.

I wish someone could tell me why refurbishing Subi oval al la the MCG is a bad idea.
It would cost less than the Burswood swamp idea, and inconvenience footy people for a couple of years.

Some may think that this government has no intention of building anything as large as a new multi purpose stadium that may cost billions in the end.
Why? well there,s an election next year, and the feds are talking up cost cutting in certain front line areas, a state government might lean more towards fixing up the hospitals and health systems and the housing problem and the not enough police problem and the no apprenticeship problem first etc etc.... when the opposition start to hammer them on politically sensitive material.

Do up Subi at least that might happen before ten years is up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is almost impossible to get a seat to some games at Subiaco if you are playing the Eagles. North Melbourne had to stop selling NMFC memberships to WA NMFC supporters that provided them with a seat at the Eagles game due to reaching the number of allocated away club seats the club had been given.

Currently if any NMFC supporter wants to go to the Rd 6 game at Subi and wasn't lucky enough to get one of the WA NMFC memberships then they have to try their luck at buying tickets when they go public on the 23rd. I and 3 friends have booked to come across to Perth from Melbourne for the rd 6 game, but if we can't get tickets then we have paid for flights/hotel/car hire for nothing. I don't know any other stadium that this occurs at in Australia!
You want to try living here and being a Victorain member as my boys and me are at Hawthorn.
I put in for the ballot a month ago. Nothing , game is sold out unlucky 3 times in 4 years.

So stadium wise it would be bloody marvelous to be able to walk up for a ticket at a 70 thousand stadium. My I suppose negative outlook is that here in w...a we may never see
a new stadium full stop, because the costs blow out every day they delay.
Mr Barnett? I don,t think he,d mind he,d save plenty of dollars , so cheaper option do up Subi.

You want to try living here and being a Victorain member as my boys and me are at Hawthorn.
I put in for the ballot a month ago. Nothing , game is sold out unlucky 3 times in 4 years.

Should have bought a ticket when they went on sale to the general public. I managed to get one, so I guess I won't see you there.

Admittedly I only buy single tickets for the away derby and maybe 1 or 2 eagles games a year, but i've never had a problem getting a ticket. s**t seats mind you.

I've lived in perth my whole life, and I'm a casual footy fan.

I've been to THREE games in my lifetime.
Pre-season Eagles v Collingwood 2004
Rd 1 Dockers v Carlton 2004
Rd ? Eagles v Adelaide 2005

And the last two my dad won tickets to.

I would probably go to 1 or 2 a year if it wasn't such a damn hassle getting a ticket for 2 people. Especially when I compare it with the soccer, where I can turn up at the game and buy a decent ticket at the ground.

The new stadium should have a capacity of 80,000, so that casual footy fans like me can get a ticket pretty easily and go watch a game of footy with some mates.

So stadium wise it would be bloody marvelous to be able to walk up for a ticket at a 70 thousand stadium. My I suppose negative outlook is that here in w...a we may never see
a new stadium full stop, because the costs blow out every day they delay.
Mr Barnett? I don,t think he,d mind he,d save plenty of dollars , so cheaper option do up Subi.

I did for years live in Perth as a supporter/member of a Victorian club, terrible policy and one of the reasons why I finally relented and moved to Melbourne.

Should have bought a ticket when they went on sale to the general public. I managed to get one, so I guess I won't see you there.

Admittedly I only buy single tickets for the away derby and maybe 1 or 2 eagles games a year, but i've never had a problem getting a ticket. s**t seats mind you.

Yeah he should be happy to pay $113 for an interstate membership for the right to buy a seat when they go on sale to the general public for the one game his team plays here for the year!

Yeah he should be happy to pay $113 for an interstate membership for the right to buy a seat when they go on sale to the general public for the one game his team plays here for the year!

Blame the club for charging that then. They're the away team, they shouldn't be offering access to another club's home game anyway if they can't provide it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the situation doesn't get any better at a new stadium. The government will probably demand a minimum number of seats available to the public, and it will be up to the home team to decide what allocation goes to the away team. Which will probably be much the same as now.

When does construction start / has it started?

Not before the next state election.

Right now there is some consultant firm helping to draw up a detailed list of requirements, so the actual design of the stadium can be opened to an architectural competition. Only once a winning design finally chosen will the construction phase open to tenders.... etc. Expect each phase to take months.

As more grounds are pre booked sell outs the problem for visiting teams will increase - Geelong 2012 has the same problem.

Essendon are pushing pre sold at Etihad but the rights of the Medallion Club/AFL members/cricket club types will limit the Bombers in the short term.

In Perth, with only 22 AFL games currently, the economic reality will be greater than say Etihad.

Will it be released to the public? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm new to these things :)

Not a stupid question but I''m not sure. Probably not me thinks but the newspapers and websites will provide the relevant info that is of the interests of the attendees ie, minimum seated capacity, number of box and Suits, future expansion objectives, orientation, roof cover etc.

Populous (formerly HOK Sport) who are putting the brief together will most likely be involved throughout the tender and construction, I can't really see them being involved for the project to go to a rival like NBBJ or Ellerbe Becket.

Populous generally act as planners and project architects while they link up with Design Architiects from other firms. I really hope the design comp attracts a vast number of firms to create more variation in the Australian Sporting scape as a large amount of our Stadia have been designed by Philip Cox and Daryl Jackson. Here''s hoping for bids from the likes of Herzog and de Meuron, HKS, GMP or Peter Eisenmann. I'd love to see a Cesar Pelli designed Stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous_%28architects%29

Remove this Banner Ad

Back