Autopsy Dirty_Banchez Presents Fremantle v Collingwood Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs is definitely unlucky and a big part of the reason for that is that we're trying to play him in the wrong role. He isn't a gorilla forward who stands in the goal square and wrestles like Travis Cloke. He's tall with a good tank and a very good field kick, a perfect CHF much more like Reiwoldt. He should always play as the higher forward, but we've frequently been rotating them around.

Kind of that. But I can understand why we had to play him at full forward, since there is no one else who can play that role.

I hope he have been working on his marking this offseason (training reports sounds promising). When those uncontested/semi contested marks start sticking he'll be effective where we put him tbh.

All players have good and bad and Spurr has more good than bad.The stupidity of some who want to get rid of one of our best defenders for an untried rookie is living in cloud cuckoo land. Every new season we have the new toys brigade wanting to bring in newbies that they have never seen play. Spurr like Johnson will play every game bar injuries.

I don't know about "more good than bad". Or at least the impact of the good things vs bad things. Especially when it is vital these days to have good skills/speed coming out of the backline. There is an argument to develop the likes of Weller, Crozier and Tucker in preference to Spurr, even if he can defend better than them. These aren't "newbies" either.

If a better player in Barlow can be kicked to the curb (something I am still mad with), then so can Spurr. They're both tough, courageous, great clubmen, kinda old, slow and can't kick. The logic behind turfing Barlow would dictate that Spurr's flaws make his position in the side debatable at the very least.

I think it is most likely he will play this year when fit. But it is not locked in, nor stupid to consider other options. This isn't Enright or Roger Hayden we're talking about. Spurr is just a solid foot soldier.

I don't know about "more good than bad". Or at least the impact of the good things vs bad things. Especially when it is vital these days to have good skills/speed coming out of the backline. There is an argument to develop the likes of Weller, Crozier and Tucker in preference to Spurr, even if he can defend better than them. These aren't "newbies" either.

If a better player in Barlow can be kicked to the curb (something I am still mad with), then so can Spurr. They're both tough, courageous, great clubmen, kinda old, slow and can't kick. The logic behind turfing Barlow would dictate that Spurr's flaws make his position in the side debatable at the very least.

I think it is most likely he will play this year when fit. But it is not locked in, nor stupid to consider other options. This isn't Enright or Roger Hayden we're talking about. Spurr is just a solid foot soldier.

Its not a hard decision for the match committee . Spurr is front of all of them . Was leader in marks and and rebound fifties. Was our best defender, finished 6th in the Doig his fourth straight top 10 result. Disposal efficiency 82% one of the leaders in the club. What was that about can't kick and is old and slow. The facts say you're wrong.

Again, is being in the leadership group fair reason to play a guy all year despite the form of him, the team and others? (and because he's got a hard head).
If he is in the leadership group, that says a lot. The players rate him highly,as they voted him in, and Ross does too. You havnt answered who you think would be ahead of him.i think his form has been pretty darn good myself.

Its not a hard decision for the match committee . Spurr is front of all of them . Was leader in marks and and rebound fifties. Was our best defender, finished 6th in the Doig his fourth straight top 10 result. Disposal efficiency 82% one of the leaders in the club. What was that about can't kick and is old and slow. The facts say you're wrong.

I'm not supporting the 'drop Spurr' argument and I believe he'll play when available this year - just have to comment on that DE% stat... I've got a feeling when kicked over 40m to a contest it's defined as 'effective' from a stats perspective.
Its referred to as 'the Spurr effect' in stat circles :D

I'm not supporting the 'drop Spurr' argument and I believe he'll play when available this year - just have to comment on that DE% stat... I've got a feeling when kicked over 40m to a contest it's defined as 'effective' from a stats perspective.
Its referred to as 'the Spurr effect' in stat circles :D

Amazing how some will disregard a stat that doesn't fit their argument. ;) Those with less than the 82% of Spurr that includes all on the list all except Apeness play under the same stat efficiency rule must be really crap .:rolleyes:

Its not a hard decision for the match committee . Spurr is front of all of them . Was leader in marks and and rebound fifties.
Maybe that is part of our problem coming out of the backline.

Disposal efficiency 82% one of the leaders in the club. What was that about can't kick and is old and slow. The facts say you're wrong.

His trademark long bombs to the contest near a boundary only have to travel 40 metres and not be to an outnumbered Fremantle player to count as effective.

Amazing how some will disregard a stat that doesn't fit their argument. ;) Those with less than the 82% of Spurr that includes all on the list all except Apeness play under the same stat efficiency rule must be really crap .:rolleyes:

Take a look at Zac Dawson's career efficiency of 83.5% for example. I suppose he is a pinpoint kick? It's a quirk of the stat.

To the others that have mentioned his hardness, so what........ Nick Suban goes pretty hard too. You need more than that to win a game of football.

Why suban name came out ? he is not playing vs magpies :D

Arguments aside, imo if Spurr is fit and available he is lock for B22.. easily. And for good reason.

I was all for Mundy at half back at the start of last season but the way he glides out of those centre clearance is a thing of beauty.

Hope Kersten is ok.

So the first image you get when thinking of Spurr kicking out of defence is a short, creative pass to the corridor ?
I want what you're on...

I should add it's not Spurrs fault, I'd argue that Ross's directive to Spurr is put to it to a contest as far down the line and as close to the line as possible.
We were so predictive with this last year

Will be waiting patiently to see who can replace spurr if he be rule out due to suspension or concussion as I always see blood come out from his head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should add it's not Spurrs fault, I'd argue that Ross's directive to Spurr is put to it to a contest as far down the line and as close to the line as possible.
We were so predictive with this last year

Ross's relentless focus last year and this has been on the need to improve our ball movement so I doubt there is any such directive. More like a last resort (if anything). Wasn't there a period when Spurr had vastly improved his kicking? Was that in 2015? I miss Clancee's spearing kicks of 2013. What a hard nut he was too.

Crozier or Logue.
Don't mind either. I think spurr is great with his marking and toughness but he just don't bring the needed leadership when A.grade players need help . if you look at game vs collingwood those expect to perform usually perform .
1)b.hill
2)s.hill
3) Sandi
4) mundy
5) Walters

Three amigo their thire year and tucker second year perform to what is required

Fyfe and Neale back from injury reasonable excuse having quiet game

As the rest the same not too good or not too bad except griffin.

New trade in all perform up to expectation .

Ross's relentless focus last year and this has been on the need to improve our ball movement so I doubt there is any such directive. More like a last resort (if anything). Wasn't there a period when Spur had vastly improved his kicking? Was that in 2015? I miss Clancee's spearing kicks of 2013. What a hard nut he was too.

I always had Spurr pegged as a creative kick when he started, I just noticed his instinctual focus on the boundary line last year. Correct in stating we had little creative movement up ahead, I still hold fast to The comment that the 'release' kick of his and others down the line was a coached movement - one we predictably used ad-nausium last year

The problem is people tend to judge Lee on his 2016 season: a year in which our depleted backline was continually under pressure due to a failing midfield.
Lee is probably our best intercept mark.
Sometimes I have to flinch when he backs into packs to take gutsy marks and he has quelled some pretty good forwards in his time.
He isn't gonna be dropped anytime soon and it's a good thing too.

I always had Spurr pegged as a creative kick when he started, I just noticed his instinctual focus on the boundary line last year. Correct in stating we had little creative movement up ahead, I still hold fast to The comment that the 'release' kick of his and others down the line was a coached movement - one we predictably used ad-nausium last year

I doubt the way we played last year conformed to the ideal template. I'd say it was an instinctive reaction to the immense pressure our backs were under last year. The natural instinct was to search for the safety of the boundary line.

Edit - What Fred said in his first sentence.

Maybe that is part of our problem coming out of the backline.

His trademark long bombs to the contest near a boundary only have to travel 40 metres and not be to an outnumbered Fremantle player to count as effective.

Take a look at Zac Dawson's career efficiency of 83.5% for example. I suppose he is a pinpoint kick? It's a quirk of the stat.

To the others that have mentioned his hardness, so what........ Nick Suban goes pretty hard too. You need more than that to win a game of football.

Top 10 in the B and F for the last 4 years. Our best defender last season. Top of the stats in kicking efficiency that you in your wisdom disregard for some reason. What about the rest of the squad with kicking efficiency that dont match Spurrs. Are you going to judge them by the same criteria. Quirk of the stat is rubbish . Facts are facts, he is top in efficiency and the club ,who are better judges than you or I have backed him in with his top 10 b and f finishes. He is in the first lot pencilled in for every game.

Top 10 in the B and F for the last 4 years. Our best defender last season. Top of the stats in kicking efficiency that you in your wisdom disregard for some reason. What about the rest of the squad with kicking efficiency that dont match Spurrs. Are you going to judge them by the same criteria. Quirk of the stat is rubbish . Facts are facts, he is top in efficiency and the club ,who are better judges than you or I have backed him in with his top 10 b and f finishes. He is in the first lot pencilled in for every game.
I don't think he will play every game , I think he always miss some match through injuries . will be selected if he is available not play every game.Fact is most players get injure in AFL season.

Exception in freo team: d.pearce don't think he miss match through injury before.

Last edited:
We dominated the middle yesterday, yet only recorded a small win. Our backline is leaky and our forward line can't score fluently. We got a lot of deep entries to one on ones. Those of you saying we just bombed, we didn't, only 1-2 bombs to outnumbered players. The rest of the bombs were to forwards 1 out with their defender. But they couldn't mark it.

Forward line and backline need a lot of work. Luckily we have Logue, A.Pearce, Hughes, Ryan, Nyhuis down back. Up front it's less impressive, though I imagine H.Bennell, Apeness and Taberner will play more than a handful of games this year.

The good thing about the battle in the middle, it wasn't against no hopers, Collingwood brought almost all their A. grade midfield brigade over.

Remember we didn't have Sandilands against West Coast. He'll have a massive advantage over Lycett + Petrie and they won't be able to have a 3rd man up to clear the ball.
Great post

Wouldn't want mundy doing anything other than what he did yesterday which is winning ball at stoppages, delivering lace out inside 50, setting up scoring ops etc.
blakely isn't in the same class with kicking although his hands & vision are very good. He'll come into the rotation if one of the A team is unavailable. Has to bide his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His touch is also poor. He often fumbles unlike Mundy who is very clean.

If everyone on the team had silky skills and no one was willing to put their body on the line day in and day out then I'd doubt we would do better.

There's a reason why, as meima says, he always has blood on him, he's tough as nails and will do that smother that some will flinch from or back into a pack if needed. We need those guys.. I see Blakely as another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back