Autopsy Dirty_Banchez Presents Fremantle v Collingwood Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't recall him fumbling too often. He clearly concentrates very hard when he kicks though. There is a slight delay from deciding to kick to actually kicking.
Don't recall the hand ball (think it was from fyfe) he fumbled when where clear in the middle? Then copped one semi high, which wasn't paid, and they rebounded down for a goal.. couple of examples of this.

If everyone on the team had silky skills and no one was willing to put their body on the line day in and day out then I'd doubt we would do better.

There's a reason why, as meima says, he always has blood on him, he's tough as nails and will do that smother that some will flinch from or back into a pack if needed. We need those guys.. I see Blakely as another.
I really don't see how a backup plan could turn into spurr is not best 22 and he is in leadership group discussion. Eventually all these players time will be up. The way some young players been selected playing 10 or 15 minute just make me wonder what is the point . That is the reason I hope sean Darcy will not be select for freo VS Carlton if he is playing minimum minute. More benefit for developmemt players to spend more minute with peel and develop properly.

Why hawks cut Sam Mitchell and Jordan lewis they are as good as spurr for team contribution . As good as o Meara and tom Mitchell , they need afl game and chemistry with the team . Gibson ,rioli ,roughead not going to be there forever

Last edited:

Not only is Spurr with ridiculous ease in our best 22, let me break down what would happen if Spurr got injured and someone else played his role:

Crozier - not a defender, played as a rebounding defender, would get absolutely toweled up if he had to run around with Betts, Cyril or Bruest
Ryan - untried rookie who can intercept mark and provide rebound, all excellent attributes but isn't an actual defender like Spurr. Small forwards would have a field day on him right now.
Weller - Probably the worst of all options, Betts could literally kick 10 on him in a quarter
Sutcliffe - God no
Nyhaius - Untried rookie who wasn't named in any JLT squads which shows at this moment he isn't considered close to best 22. Still young and has time.

Spurr is our only small defender who can actually defend and do it well. If Spurr gets injured or suspended, we're f***ed.

Not only is Spurr with ridiculous ease in our best 22, let me break down what would happen if Spurr got injured and someone else played his role:

Crozier - not a defender, played as a rebounding defender, would get absolutely toweled up if he had to run around with Betts, Cyril or Bruest
Ryan - untried rookie who can intercept mark and provide rebound, all excellent attributes but isn't an actual defender like Spurr. Small forwards would have a field day on him right now.
Weller - Probably the worst of all options, Betts could literally kick 10 on him in a quarter
Sutcliffe - God no
Nyhaius - Untried rookie who wasn't named in any JLT squads which shows at this moment he isn't considered close to best 22. Still young and has time.

Spurr is our only small defender who can actually defend and do it well. If Spurr gets injured or suspended, we're f***ed.
You point up the problem
That is the reason you need backup , any kids with f**king 0 afl and JLT experience will not suddenly become a fyfe or somebody brilliant. For f@rk sick hawthorn throw away all their early draft pick last year and this year just to get tom Mitchell and o Meara ,yet give up b.hill, Sam Mitchell , Jordan lewis . still f@king need to think about replacing quality player like Gibson and Burgoyne . compare to them spurr is tiny ants loh.

Last edited:
An observation I made this morning was that every one of our players over 26yo was in the squad for yesterday's JLT game. Zac Clarke the oldest not in the squad (@ 26yo) and he is injured. Think Taberner was next oldest @ 23 (along with Sheridan). Suban obviously didn't get on to the ground but every other non-injured "oldie" was out there.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing but I still think we run the risk of blurring between two narratives (using RTB's words) this season: 1) thinking we could pull off a miracle premiership so we play our most experienced team always; and 2) thinking we are in a four year rebuild phase and need to focus on creating a premiership winning team from those on our list 26yo and under who will still be playing then.

We were somewhat forced in to a shift last season given injuries and form, and I get that we need far more wins to stay motivated this season but I hope we still see yet more transition for a number of those stalwart spots this season. Are guys like Dawson, Griffin, DPearce, Ibbo and Suban really that critical to us being able to win or not? I'm not saying drop them all for youngsters but is rotating a couple out each game going to have that big an impact on our competitiveness? The upside of getting some AFL experience in to our younger guys is massive - ie Tucker, Blakely, Weller, and Langdon all grew enormously from their AFL time last season and I think all four should be B22 locks unless their form plummets.

An observation I made this morning was that every one of our players over 26yo was in the squad for yesterday's JLT game. Zac Clarke the oldest not in the squad (@ 26yo) and he is injured. Think Taberner was next oldest @ 23 (along with Sheridan). Suban obviously didn't get on to the ground but every other non-injured "oldie" was out there.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing but I still think we run the risk of blurring between two narratives (using RTB's words) this season: 1) thinking we could pull off a miracle premiership so we play our most experienced team always; and 2) thinking we are in a four year rebuild phase and need to focus on creating a premiership winning team from those on our list 26yo and under who will still be playing then.

We were somewhat forced in to a shift last season given injuries and form, and I get that we need far more wins to stay motivated this season but I hope we still see yet more transition for a number of those stalwart spots this season. Are guys like Dawson, Griffin, DPearce, Ibbo and Suban really that critical to us being able to win or not? I'm not saying drop them all for youngsters but is rotating a couple out each game going to have that big an impact on our competitiveness? The upside of getting some AFL experience in to our younger guys is massive - ie Tucker, Blakely, Weller, and Langdon all grew enormously from their AFL time last season and I think all four should be B22 locks unless their form plummets.
Yes , I want gradually transition. If freo got some more salary cap after fyfe extension by all mean trade more mature body with talent in, then you don't actually need to develop kids and give them afl game experience.

Sutcliffe - God no

Brady Grey - will kick Eddie Betts' arse and any other small forward who gets in his way.

Problem solved.

Sutcliffe - God no

Reckon Brady Grey could play that role.
Edit: Dudley stole my thunder.

Brady Grey - will kick Eddie Betts' arse and any other small forward who gets in his way.

Problem solved.
Wasn't he played as a midfielder at both WAFL and AFL in 2016? He recently got delisted and rookied, seems like hes pretty far back on the list. I hope he makes it, hes attack on the ball is top notch and he gives great effort.

Top 10 in the B and F for the last 4 years. Our best defender last season. Top of the stats in kicking efficiency that you in your wisdom disregard for some reason. What about the rest of the squad with kicking efficiency that dont match Spurrs. Are you going to judge them by the same criteria. Quirk of the stat is rubbish . Facts are facts, he is top in efficiency and the club ,who are better judges than you or I have backed him in with his top 10 b and f finishes. He is in the first lot pencilled in for every game.

Whoa down cowboy...
I haven't disputed Spurr's selection in any way, in fact my first post clearly states I back him in every game bar injury.
My comment was about the translation of statistic to reality. Fine to read a figure on paper but there's always context, whether by the players intention/limitation or coaching or the measure itself ( such as this case in my humble opinion).
I don't dispute anything you list above , just shootin the breeze about DE stats... that's all.

Sutcliffe - God no

Mike Nyhuis has been in the rehab group for some weeks and he shut out Subi's small forward Liam Ryan in the WAFL Grand Final last year. He could take over from Spurr up the track but i agree with your comments on Spurr.

Mike Nyhuis has been in the rehab group for some weeks and he shut out Subi's small forward Liam Ryan in the WAFL Grand Final last year. He could take over from Spurr up the track but i agree with your comments on Spurr.
I hope so Danny. Nyhuis in my view is our only developing pure small defender we have. He seems to be making good progress too, so hopefully he keeps that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so Danny. Nyhuis in my view is our only developing pure small defender we have. He seems to be making good progress too, so hopefully he keeps that up.
He is a very impressive young man who goes about his business quietly. We will see that he has a very bright future ahead of him at the club but they need to resign him and elevate him as he is still a rookie.

I think maybe young players playing next to age and experience will fast track them, not just throwing them in the deep end with all the other young players.

Problem solved.

Absolutely towelled up Wingard 2 years ago as a small lock down defender. Why we didn't continue on with this when the small defender role is a something we're fairly light on for options.

If they were that worried about his disposal surely they could have given him clear instructions- low risk options only, favour handballing over kicking and if in doubt 40m punt along the boundary.

If he is in the leadership group, that says a lot. The players rate him highly,as they voted him in, and Ross does too. You havnt answered who you think would be ahead of him.i think his form has been pretty darn good myself.

I don't have anyone ahead of him at present. I never said I did. I said that he's not easily best 22 as you stated he was. And he's not, or at least shouldn't be. I think he starts the year but if we want to improve as a team we need to find a better option by years end and I think we've got the options to do that. Weller, Tucker, Nyhuis, Crozier, Grey are options on the list.
Our defence haemorrhaged goals last year and Spurr was a big part of that.

Reckon Brady Grey could play that role.
Edit: Dudley stole my thunder.
Can't question Brady Gray's intent. I've seen him at training, signing autographs for the kids, and seems like just a really nice bloke. He's a real hard nut on field and a real lockdown type. But mate, I've watched him play for Peel a number of times and there's no comparison to Spurr disposal wise. Until his disposal improves, he's not in for me and that's why he's now on the rookie list. I really hope he improves this facet of his game, because I'm a bit of a fan of his.

I don't have anyone ahead of him at present. I never said I did. I said that he's not easily best 22 as you stated he was. And he's not, or at least shouldn't be. I think he starts the year but if we want to improve as a team we need to find a better option by years end and I think we've got the options to do that. Weller, Tucker, Nyhuis, Crozier, Grey are options on the list.
Our defence haemorrhaged goals last year and Spurr was a big part of that.
As a whole the defenders leaked goals, we have too many players that are similar, we double up instead of diversifying. Having Dawson, Ibbo, Spurr
playing together limits the counter attack.
It was like when Sherro, Sutcliffe were used down back, not their natural game, and become scapegoats.
Dawson over Collins, short term gain, Spurr or Ibbo, just pick one, how do the players take on the game, when the coach doesn't?

As a whole the defenders leaked goals, we have too many players that are similar, we double up instead of diversifying. Having Dawson, Ibbo, Spurr
playing together limits the counter attack.
It was like when Sherro, Sutcliffe were used down back, not their natural game, and become scapegoats.
Dawson over Collins, short term gain, Spurr or Ibbo, just pick one, how do the players take on the game, when the coach doesn't?

Weller,Crozier,Jonno & Billy all take the game on!

You'd think that Weller & crozier will be our run and carry options departing the defensive 50.

To a degree, but it still didn't translate into forward line efficiency
No you're right it didn't.. but there were quite a few plays where each of these boys either lowered their eyes and hit a target or realised their was no good option and decided to run the ball a bit before re-evaluating which is what we want more of... the bomb to the hotspot should be the last option not the first.

I thought Kersten was a bit of a letdown and provided very little in the first half. That dropped mark! Tabs would have been crucified. Once Kersten hurt himself we had no marking forward in the F50 unless Sandi or Griff were resting forward. Alot of our entries were kicked to 1v1's but were picked off because of our lack of height. we didn't have a tall who could at least bring the ball to ground.

I thought our forward structure worked fairly well yesterday as we managed to have quite a few 1v1's... our F50 entries were fairly good too being able to kick to these 1v1's... unfortunately we just didn't have the cattle to win many of them.

Too early to tell but my intial thoughts are that I really don't think McCarthy/Kersten are the answer/focal point to our forward line. They are 2nd-3rd tall forwards that will work well on the lead. We need a tall to take the no1 defender who is capable of taking a contested mark or at least bringing the ball down. Tom Lynch from GC would be perfect..... otherwise one of Apeness or Tabs.

I think we pick 3 of these 4.
Sandi, Griff, Apeness, Tabs

Sandi picks himself.

With the future in mind it should be Sandi, Ape, Tabs. But with this season in mind Griff played a great game and put himself ahead. See what happens in JLT3.

To a degree, but it still didn't translate into forward line efficiency
I thought we looked like we had some forward 50 strategies, something I have never seen from us before. Our usual approach is the occasional slingshot or just get it to our end and hope for the best.

We did generate the same sort of inside 50 numbers and score in 70% game time as we generated in 2015 in full games. A practice game I know.

I think the ease with which Collingwood scored from their entries is a priority for action.

I thought we looked like we had some forward 50 strategies, something I have never seen from us before. Our usual approach is the occasional slingshot or just get it to our end and hope for the best.

We did generate the same sort of inside 50 numbers and score in 70% game time as we generated in 2015 in full games. A practice game I know.

I think the ease with which Collingwood scored from their entries is a priority for action.

What I'd really love to see is ball retention stats for individual players when we transition out of back 50 and also into forward 50, because I think the DE and ball retention stats would be VASTLY different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back