Do Essendon have the best list coming into the next 5 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

brad

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2004
ESSENDON
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
I'm not sure if the following article (from back in April) has been posted or not but I'd be interested to hear other supporters view of it.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/07/who-has-the-best-afl-list-over-the-next-five-years/

The statement was that Essendon have the best list coming into the next five years, including the lists of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS. Boldly foolish on its exterior, however it can be properly justified.

Essendon’s is a very young list. What is exciting about the Bomber team is the already demonstrated value of its players, and their consistency at such a young age.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/07/who-has-the-best-afl-list-over-the-next-five-years/

Re: your thoughts?????

Fremantle had 11 pre-draft selection choices and also the number one draft for their inaugural year in the AFL. It’s only taken them until now to develop a list with a strong chance in the finals.

Well yeah, but that was Fremantle. That's like citing Pompeii and Vesuvius as evidence for it being dangerous to live in Italy.

This will be seen as me bashing Essendon (sigh) but, GWS, GCS?

Not seen as bashing at all. The article does mention the lists of both of these teams.

Maybe they aren't expecting these two teams to be up and about necessarily in the next 1-5 years. Don't know but it's all speculative anyway.

Well yeah, but that was Fremantle. That's like citing Pompeii and Vesuvius as evidence for it being dangerous to live in Italy.

It's also wrong.

Fremantle were in the hunt in the 2006 Prelim Final. the League wasn't that far away from a western Derby at the MCG grand final.

But it's widely acknowledged that Freo made mistakes in putting their list together.

But as impressive as the youngsters are at both clubs the point is fair. You cant give the points to either GC or GWS until the proof arrives in the forms of wins.

GWS and GC will start to talk business in that window, methinks. And they will be unstoppable.

Absolutely bewildering the amount of people that think this. Extremely unlikely that these two teams will be dominating the competition so soon.

If they nail they're recruiting and everything goes right I could see them starting to dominate in about 8 years.

Few fair points. GC will have a fairly strong list throughout in the coming years.

Ablett, campaigner, Swallow, Bennell, Prestia, Caddy, McKenzie plus they get O'Meara next year plus will get one of the guns this year and they still have compensation picks.

It is going to be one very scary midfield in a year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect this to be bumped every single time we lose from now on. So some Essendon supporter on some mediocre website wrote an article that he thinks his team will be s**t hot for the next few years... big deal.

Some of my own fellow supporters must jump the gun more than any other supporter base in the league after a few wins.

Suns Team in 3 to 4 years

F: Matera Dixon Hall
HF:Bennell Day Ablett
C: Prestia Swallow O'Meara
HB: Mckenzie Bock Shaw
B: Russell Tape Wilkinson
1st: Smith Caddy Hunt
Int: Illes Harbrow Rischitelli, Lynch

That is going to be a hard side to beat, if there current progress doesn't stop. Also, early draft picks would only improve this team aswell, so i would say that GC will be one of the stronger sides in 5 years time

While its a little too early to call anything on the lists of GWS and GC, they do have some absolute gun kids that, in their first and second years, are well well well well well ahead of our first and second year players.

Where GC have Ablett, Rischa and Brennan as their top developed players (and Swallow not far behind), Essendon have a little more experienced depth than star quality. Watson and Stanton are better then the latter 3 mentioned, but not in the same class as Ablett (who is really).

The Dons will have a better developed crop of talls both in defence, forward and ruck no doubt so there is merit in the argument there. However, a star midfield can drag a not so great forward line up.

As it stands, i would take our list over GC and GWS only because the development is there (a good 1-2 years extra).

The best list coming into the next 5 years however?
Might wanna look at the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast and Adelaide. All 4 are primed to make flag tilts in the next 5 years and probably have a little more depth than the dons in terms of midfield class.

Suns Team in 3 to 4 years

F: Matera Dixon Hall
HF:Bennell Day Ablett
C: Prestia Swallow O'Meara
HB: Mckenzie Bock Shaw
B: Russell Tape Wilkinson
1st: Smith Caddy Hunt
Int: Illes Harbrow Rischitelli, Lynch

That is going to be a hard side to beat, if there current progress doesn't stop. Also, early draft picks would only improve this team aswell, so i would say that GC will be one of the stronger sides in 5 years time

will not be their next year

i seen the title of this thread and was hoping it wasnt started by an essendon supporter

Ablett, campaigner, Swallow, Bennell, Prestia, Caddy, McKenzie plus they get O'Meara next year plus will get one of the guns this year and they still have compensation picks.

It is going to be one very scary midfield in a year or two.

Nothing to do with age. But from what we have seen they have quite a lot of very talented players.

Good luck to them retaining all of those players.

They don't have an extended list/salary cap beyond 5 years IIRC.

Good luck to them retaining all of those players.

They don't have an extended list/salary cap beyond 5 years IIRC.

Also won't have our overpaid mercenaries taking so much of the cap. IF Ablett is still playing in 5 years he wont be on 1.5m a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back