Do umpires influence AFL game results

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a look at where the umpire is standing and draw a line from his eyes to the boundary line, this line of sight from the umpire shows the ball to be out, yet he called it in, WHY? It appeared to be clearly out by just about everyone else at the game except the umpire, WHY.
A case of exceptional umpires vision and an optical illusion to the rest of us I suspect!

So you want the umpire to make the incorrect call, and call it out because from his angle it may have looked out, even though the photo proves it wasn't?

Have a look at where the umpire is standing and draw a line from his eyes to the boundary line, this line of sight from the umpire shows the ball to be out, yet he called it in, WHY? It appeared to be clearly out by just about everyone else at the game except the umpire, WHY.
A case of exceptional umpires vision and an optical illusion to the rest of us I suspect!

You're struggling now m8

So your saying he saw it go out but decided not to call it?
He called it in. The pic shows it was in. What's the big deal?
In a close game the 6 points from a wrong call (given the optical information the umpires brain received) is the big deal

In a close game the 6 points from a wrong call (given the optical information the umpires brain received) is the big deal
But it was the correct call......o_O
6 points denied because the umpire called it out when it was still in would have been a big deal.
As in still in as the whole ball wasn't over the line in mine, yours and the umpires and everyone on the planets space/time

I thought it looked out when I saw it and on replay, but the umpire - the bloke who decides on these things for a living, and was in the best spot to make said decision - said play on. I'll take his word for it.
Unfortunately the AFL does not employ professional umpires, they are in fact amateurs!

Last edited:
No.
Just make the correct decision based on what he sees.
This is pretty simple. Far to many field umpires are guessing, to the extend that you start to think they are being coached to do so.

When asked if he made a mistake - ever - Dickie Bird replied - no, not on the evidence available to me at the time.
None of us have super human powers - just pay what you see.

My expectations of Ray are very low but the overall result is usually zero ie he makes clangers against both teams. He has officiated the two worst umpired games I've seen. One of those was the Swans against Essendon and the other Freo. In both I think the result was right (a win and a loss).

Swans supporters have a big problem with Stevic umpiring Hawthorn games. In round 16 Stevic awarded multiple free kicks to Hawthorn just before half time when the Swans were getting back into the game resulting in a couple of goals to Hawthorn. If we had won that quarter more convincingly and gone in closer at half time could we have played better in the second half and not been so embarrassed by what turned out to be a woeful performance? This is the classic momentum factor.

If I was a Port supporter I would be very angry at Stevic for his performance in the PF last year which I think denied them a GF berth. That he was so bad that day and then got to umpire the GF certainly infuriated many Swans supporters.

What I liked about last Friday's game is that they awarded free kicks against thuggish behaviour. Free kick differential of 15 - 20 was due to a lot of cheap shots. Given Hawthorns thuggishness I am amazed at their free kick for against % of 108%. Swans on 88% doesn't seem right to me.

I agree with everything you say except the last bit.

In the round 16 Hawthorn vs. Sydney game, the Hawks definitely got several soft free kicks in their favour, from umpire Stevic in particular, which halted the Swans momentum as they were trying to mount a comeback during the second quarter. However in that game Sydney definitely were the aggressors and tried to do to Hawthorn what the Hawks did to them in the GF. In the PF last year against Port, umpire Stevic did award Hawthorn several soft free kicks in the second quarter as the Hawks were trying to mount a comeback during that time.

But I think your hatred for Hawthorn has clouded your judgement in regards to the round 18 game against Richmond. In that game, Richmond were the more aggressive and physical team but definitely had the rub of green. Several atrocious calls that swung or halted the teams momentum were in Richmond's favour. Lightning strikes me if I am telling a biased lie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From reading through the thread all I see are Richmond supporters, and to a lesser agree North supporters, defending the umpires "good work" whilst majority of other supporters criticise the inconsistencies of the umpiring. How typical. I don't see any bias here at all.

IMHO, AFL umpires have too much influence on the result of matches due to the various different interpretations they can use for any decision. This in turn can swing momentum around during a match. The poor umpiring is not so obvious in lop sided matches but are more noticeable in the close ones. All teams receive good and bad calls during a game, but the teams that tend to get the rub of the green generally win that match.

I agree with everything you say except the last bit.

In the round 16 Hawthorn vs. Sydney game, the Hawks definitely got several soft free kicks in their favour, from umpire Stevic in particular, which halted the Swans momentum as they were trying to mount a comeback during the second quarter. However in that game Sydney definitely were the aggressors and tried to do to Hawthorn what the Hawks did to them in the GF. In the PF last year against Port, umpire Stevic did award Hawthorn several soft free kicks in the second quarter as the Hawks were trying to mount a comeback during that time.

But I think your hatred for Hawthorn has clouded your judgement in regards to the round 18 game against Richmond. In that game, Richmond were the more aggressive and physical team but definitely had the rub of green. Several atrocious calls that swung or halted the teams momentum were in Richmond's favour. Lightning strikes me if I am telling a biased lie.

I probably pay too much attention to the playing of the man by Hawthorn players which amazes me because they don't need to do it. They have skills and don't need cheap shots. In our round 8 game the Swans were deliberately aggressive and it worked but I don't think they crossed the line to thuggish. I think you can be physical and aggressive without deliberately trying to injure someone. I'm thinking of Roughead dropping his knee into Miles' buttock and Stratton elbowing Deledio's shoulder in that Richmond game. Cheap nasty shots, neither of which were penalised. Not a good look for the game.

I hope the lightning didn't hurt too much.

I did a random selection calc a year or so ago and the team that gets less free kicks wins about 65% of games.

Go and have a look folks. Can someone do a winners vs loser free kick count if they have a database please.

I did a random selection calc a year or so ago and the team that gets less free kicks wins about 65% of games.

Go and have a look folks. Can someone do a winners vs loser free kick count if they have a database please.

I'd be more interested in the change from 3qtr time to full time.

I'd be more interested in the change from 3qtr time to full time.
The perception is that once a game is won the losing team gets awarded more free kicks to cloud the perception of bias by umpires, the final stats generally even up by the end of the game. This however does not usually happen during games that are close until the final siren.

With the $'s gambled on AFL games I suspect the issue of game fixing will become a problem.

The point is, it is very easy for umpires to influence football results, the only reason for this is all of the rules are open to interpretation!
This may be a very nice way to increase revenue by the powers within the AFL.
A final at the MCG is much more financially attractive than a final elsewhere.
Popular teams are more financially attractive for the AFL than others.
Corrupt people are a realty! To suggest that a corrupt AFL umpire has never existed is a little naïve!

The perception of umpire bias is a blight on our game, it can be reduced if the powers that control our game realise that a set of rules that do not allow them to be interpreted is in the best interest of the game. I have doubts however that some within the AFL wont this.
It may take a controversy that brings our game into disrepute that forces interpretation of the rules to be eliminated!

The Gold Coast Suns/Essendon game yesterday was directly influenced by the umpires.

Hurley "point" not reviewed.

Stanton "Non-mark" that leads directly to goal.

Essendon lost by 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back