Do we need to invest in a defensive coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is bizarre.

Our defense is our one functional section. Given the free ball movement coming in there they are constantly under the pump. The only negative is movement out, which can be slow and static but as a unit they are more than solid at their primary job.

Our midfield are reactive, often one-way running and static, with zero coordination between the ruck and mid group.

Forward 50 entries are awful, and the forward line has no discernable structure or leading system. They get in their own way, fly together and spoil each other, and let the defense run it out with consummate ease way too often.

Logic would suggest the areas we are weak on therefore are midfield, transition, movement, and forwards.

Let's consult the website.

Robert Harvey - Midfield and Transition

Brenton Sanderson - Forward and ball movement.

Call me crazy, heck call me a pony, but am I out of line in thinking some of the problem might be there, especially when the midfield problems in particular are longstanding and correlate nicely to Harvey's tenure?

When we lost Buddah Hocking, we lost probably 3 spots on the ladder and any chance of developing our young midfielders to AFL standard, and this club doesnt get better until those two are gone. Unfortunately, that appears unlikely with Buckley there, ergo all three must go.
Isn't Harvey doing defence this year?

Our issue has been our dysfunctional midfield and forward line. The Swans breached the soft cap in the football dept this year by bringing in Don Pyke as forward coach. Adelaide were a great attacking side under Pyke. The move appears to have been a master-stroke when matched with Longmires defensive nous.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t understand the logic, our defensive structures have been top notch. Our personnel in that part of the ground have been great, their development has been first class. Could they improve, sure. But in an age where there is footy department cap, I don’t think our need is defence. It’s midfield, our clearances and ball movement are atrocious.

I probably have know idea what I am talking about but our defence has been solid with the amount of easy entries they have to contend with. The other thing i wanted to get an opinion on was with the now more focus on forwards this year how would Moore look up forward?

I probably have know idea what I am talking about but our defence has been solid with the amount of easy entries they have to contend with. The other thing i wanted to get an opinion on was with the now more focus on forwards this year how would Moore look up forward?
Just robbing Peter to pay Paul there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back