Do you think if you really tried hard enough, you could make it to the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so sure about that
Nothing about Greg Williams physique was remotely special but fu**, could he play. Very special ability he developed probably because he wanted it so bad.

I think people are under-estimating natural skill level IIT

Any elite talent is where 99th percentile natural ability meets 99th percentile work-ethic

Applicable for scientists, musicians, artists, sports-people, programmers etc.

Growing up an enthusiast guitarist, when reading about the "best" guitarists, their practice-regimes were always mind-blowing (8-9 hours a day). And it's not enough to just play, these guitarists were always pushing themselves to the limit learning stuff at the edge of their abilities. But with this said, these guitarists usually showed an abnormal "natural knack" for the instrument at an early age... sometimes there would be old videos of them playing at talent shows as kids doing things way beyond age-expected abilities

I would have no doubt someone like Greg Williams meets this criteria of abnormal talent meets work ethic

Growing up an enthusiast guitarist, when reading about the "best" guitarists, their practice-regimes were always mind-blowing (8-9 hours a day). And it's not enough to just play, these guitarists were always pushing themselves to the limit learning stuff at the edge of their abilities. But with this said, these guitarists usually showed an abnormal "natural knack" for the instrument at an early age.
Yes, a Jimmi Hendrix or Prince had the talent, passion and work ethic that 99% of people do not have. They were freak talents for a reason.

Our local umpires train at our ground. No doubt they do a lot of fitness and running which is great but they dont spend any time learning the rules or doing match simulation. Shits me to tears.

You do that in the rooms afterwards.

BTW...Just how do you expect umpires to do 'match simulation' on the ground?

You do that in the rooms afterwards.

BTW...Just how do you expect umpires to do 'match simulation' on the ground?
These lot don't go in the rooms. Get in their cars and go home.

Have people act out footy situations e.g. marking contests, holding the ball decisions and have a senior umpire explain the correct decision. Getting positioning right so you are in the best spot to see push in the backs, throws etc.

These lot don't go in the rooms. Get in their cars and go home.

Have people act out footy situations e.g. marking contests, holding the ball decisions and have a senior umpire explain the correct decision. Getting positioning right so you are in the best spot to see push in the backs, throws etc.

We used to train several nights a week, on one of those nights we'd have a meeting afterwards. So yeah, most of the time people did just jump in their car and drive home.

As for the 'match simulation'....LOL.
Please tell me you're not serious.

We used to train several nights a week, on one of those nights we'd have a meeting afterwards. So yeah, most of the time people did just jump in their car and drive home.

As for the 'match simulation'....LOL.
Please tell me you're not serious.
Yeah what would AFL Vic know

I don't care if an umpire can set record lap times, I care if they can know the correct rules and how to apply them and be in a good position to make a good call

Not so sure about that
Nothing about Greg Williams physique was remotely special but fu**, could he play. Very special ability he developed probably because he wanted it so bad.
I played with Greg at Golden Square and one season we had 3k run and it was impossible for him to beat me over 3k. It was through the streets of Golden Square where he lived.I entered the home straight and the cheating mooger fooger was 200m in front.prick took short cuts. I guess guile springs to mind or raised on foxes milk

There heaps of them around. Total myth that only physically gifted can make it at top level
Jeremy McGovern and Max Gawn are elite for their roles. Neither are remarkable in physical aspect. Just want it enough and play the game well enough to be one of best at it. Kane Lambert another example of never give up if you want it bad enough. Gibbons will be another at my club.
Max Gawn is taller than literally 1 in 1000 male adults in Australia, yet you're calling him not remarkable in any physical aspect? Utterly bizarre post from you.

Height's a good way to discuss this topic. The average Australian man is 179cm tall. About 7 in 8 AFL players are taller than that and 1 in 8 are shorter. It's not impossible to be a league footballer if you're short, but you're seven times more likely to make it to the grade if you happen to be taller than the average male height than you are to be shorter, and that's obviously something completely out of your control with how hard you control.

Max Gawn is taller than literally 1 in 1000 male adults in Australia

ae1af03262fa96d8b2ec3577cc360da7.gif

I played with Greg at Golden Square and one season we had 3k run and it was impossible for him to beat me over 3k. It was through the streets of Golden Square where he lived.I entered the home straight and the cheating mooger fooger was 200m in front.prick took short cuts. I guess guile springs to mind or raised on foxes milk
Trams in Golden Square?......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Gawn is taller than literally 1 in 1000 male adults in Australia
yes...lol..he is not the kind of physical statue for his height to be impressive.
What is impressive of him is his football skills from working so long as his art.
Good on him. Example of types that worked hard enough to make it...

I have a theory that based on population size and the amount of players on an AFL list the % chance of an individual playing the in AFL - or at least making an AFL list - would be pretty high relative to other sports around the world.* So someone with a good amount of athleticism has a fairly good chance to get on a list if they work hard enough.

* Talking about the highest level of the sport, for example the UK, only counting the Premier League and not the Championship or League 1 etc..

I'm like 170 cm tall and haven't exercised properly in a decade, so multiple Brownlows are obviously within my reach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back