Does Geelong actually exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

They are talking about the teams surging into the finals now because in three weeks they wont be able to talk about them. If they started talking about the top four teams now they would run out of things to say before they even got to the preliminary final. If the media focus on you during the week they think your going to be eliminated in the next round.

As far as I'm concerned we most definitely beat Freo. They never led at any point. They came back hard in the last quarter, but we were clearly the better team for the first three. And I don't subscribe to the notion that if a team comes back in the final quarter but fails narrowly they are unlucky - they had 3 quarters before that to win the game, or establish a lead, and couldn't do it. Tough shit.
Yes, I've always wondered why 1 quarter trumps 3 quarters.

There is luck in close games but it doesn't change the fact that over the past few years in most close games we've had more points than the other team, so if the other team has done a lot right then so have we ;).

Are we as good as last year? Hard to say, maybe not. Are we as good as from 2007-2011? Almost certainly not. But that doesn't matter. If you'd said we'd be 16-4 now to me in February I would have been giggling hysterically. We have needed luck at times (as all sides do), but at the same time, we aren't there by accident. As critical as we've been of their form at times (and I've absolutely been vocal in that area), they're still winning, which is the main thing. All while getting a ton of games into Guthrie and Horlin-Smith and Caddy and Blicavs, as well as introducing Lang and Hartman and Kersten. Overall it's nothing but positive.

I agree with this, the rest... well that's your opinion and good luck to you.

In some ways we are better then last year; theres been no horrible comeback from the likes of brisbane or Adelaide. Every game we have lost has been interstate against a potential top 8 side - dockers, Sydney, Port, Gold Coast all at home, anyone would struggle against that! Heck, hawthorn has lost to three of those four away as well.

We have for sure gone backwards in some areas, but as others pointed out, to be second again is crazy. 10 out of 11 seasons we have been in the finals, and 8 of those has been top four. Thats ridiculous. I have an eight year old brother who still hasnt decided whether he is going for west coast or Geelong, but he has never not seen Geelong make the finals. To him, its a forgone conclusion they are there. And thats just nuts. Amazing team. We probably won't win the flag, but to look at the state of the Saints and Western Bulldogs and even Collingwood and then see the cats just continue on their business. Amazing. Who gives a toss what the media or other supporters think.

Whilst I'm hopeful of winning the flag, the logical part of my brain keeps reminding me of that 110 point smashing against Sydney. Premiership teams rarely get smashed by a margin that high. The only time in the last 20 years I can think of was in 04 when Port got smashed by 97 early in the season and won. In my eyes it highlights something wrong with the way that club plays for that season. The loss to Sydney is no doubt whats keeping the media from talking us up too much.

Yes, Geelong does exist! Mind you, its speed limits are atrociously low now and businesses have been struggling for a while in this ghetto town.

Oh, you mean the team... Yeah, have to agree that the minimal attention we're getting is something desirable, considering our position on the ladder.

As far as I'm concerned we most definitely beat Freo. They never led at any point. They came back hard in the last quarter, but we were clearly the better team for the first three. And I don't subscribe to the notion that if a team comes back in the final quarter but fails narrowly they are unlucky - they had 3 quarters before that to win the game, or establish a lead, and couldn't do it. Tough shit.

Carlton is the same, they had 3 minutes after Christensen kicked the goal to win the game and couldn't do it. They had plenty of chances and couldn't do it. They weren't unlucky, they just weren't good enough.

Are we as good as last year? Hard to say, maybe not. Are we as good as from 2007-2011? Almost certainly not. But that doesn't matter. If you'd said we'd be 16-4 now to me in February I would have been giggling hysterically. We have needed luck at times (as all sides do), but at the same time, we aren't there by accident. As critical as we've been of their form at times (and I've absolutely been vocal in that area), they're still winning, which is the main thing. All while getting a ton of games into Guthrie and Horlin-Smith and Caddy and Blicavs, as well as introducing Lang and Hartman and Kersten. Overall it's nothing but positive.

I agree, we still have a lot to prove. But better to be involved than not. I'm just hoping for a win this week.

+infinity

I honestly think the 'coolness' of the media is more due to the fact we don't smash anyone.
Or CAN'T?
To the media, our % reflects where we are at more so than the 16 wins we have so far.
But who will forget 2011, when suddenly we beat D's by 25 goals, and 2-3w later, Pies by nearly 20 goals and our % just as suddenly rivalled Collingwood's.
Not that I'm expecting that this year, but things can turn quickly. In fact that (?aberrant ) loss we had v Swans has been the cause of our lowly % yet the circumstances we played them were so in favour of Sydney, that will not be replicated again if we were to face them in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact that (?aberrant ) loss we had v Swans has been the cause of our lowly % yet the circumstances we played them were so in favour of Sydney, that will not be replicated again if we were to face them in September.

even if we had lost by 2 points in a very low scoring match (i.e. we scored the same amount), wed only be at 121%. much more respectable, but still not great... all our close, perhaps 'unconvincing', wins have contributed to our poor % just as much as the sydney thumping.

Whilst I'm hopeful of winning the flag, the logical part of my brain keeps reminding me of that 110 point smashing against Sydney. Premiership teams rarely get smashed by a margin that high. The only time in the last 20 years I can think of was in 04 when Port got smashed by 97 early in the season and won. In my eyes it highlights something wrong with the way that club plays for that season. The loss to Sydney is no doubt whats keeping the media from talking us up too much.

If we win the flag this year, we will clearly hold the record for 'greatest ever losing margin suffered in a premiership season'.

It would be a an incongruous record to hold, that's for sure.

But I'd take it.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back