CARLTON v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Jack Macrae (WB)
5 Toby McLean (WB)
4 Bailey Dale (WB)
3 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Matthew Kreuzer (Carl)

That's the 5th time Bont has polled 9 votes in the coaches votes this year. He's yet to poll 10.

Put money on the fact that Bev gave Macrae 5.

CARLTON v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Jack Macrae (WB)
5 Toby McLean (WB)
4 Bailey Dale (WB)
3 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Matthew Kreuzer (Carl)

That's the 5th time Bont has polled 9 votes in the coaches votes this year. He's yet to poll 10.

Weird ass votes.

Guess Bont was 5 & 4, McLean with a straight 5.
Macrae 4 & 3, Gibbs with a straight 3.
Dale 2 & 2, Daniel/Kreuzer 1 & 1

Weird ass votes.

Could also have been:

Bont 5+4
Macrae 5+2
Gibbs 3
Mclean 3+2
Dale 4
Daniel/Kreuzer 1/1

I'm not saying that he looked amazing in previous weeks or that he's out of the woods especially at his age but can we stop predicting player's downfalls before they've had a chance to settle. Murph has also had a really interrupted period. As supporters (support being the important part) we shouldn't be predicting his demise so quickly.

Was not against making observations. Was always against clear cut statements of "fact". Give the champs the benefit of the doubt. Also respect our premiership 2 time coach of the year to help make that decision if it comes to it.

Fair enough. I respect your position, Mike. I would like to think despite my fears for Morris' future that I haven't shown such a club champion any disrespect.

I suspect our actual positions aren't really that far apart. We are just choosing to focus on different aspects of a complicated picture. And I totally understand why you are choosing to approach the question as you are.

Good man. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Weird ass votes.

Could also have been:

Bont 5+4
Macrae 5+2
Gibbs 3
Mclean 3+2
Dale 4
Daniel/Kreuzer 1/1
I reckon B2B is probably on the money here

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate Zaine Cordys lethal left boot

images

Fair enough. I respect your position, Mike. I would like to think despite my fears for Morris' future that I haven't shown such a club champion any disrespect.

I suspect our actual positions aren't really that far apart. We are just choosing to focus on different aspects of a complicated picture. And I totally understand why you are choosing to approach the question as you are.

Good man. :thumbsu:
I don't think you have shown disrespect at all. Some have mind you but you're definitely not one.
I think we're all a bit jumpy about our veterans.

He won't. Bevo praised Honey in the presser. His first quarter was cringeworthy but he had some fine moments in the rest of the game. Sounds like he was tagging Simpson and Bevo spoke of him sacrificing his game.

Going on the presser, Dickson and Cloke might come into contention.
Unable to watch games atm as am os. Is he really that bad? The hate is almost Jongeste. Bevo seems to like him. Any comments please. back for the essendon game. btw the macumba seems to be we working. we win the next three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unable to watch games atm as am os. Is he really that bad? The hate is almost Jongeste. Bevo seems to like him. Any comments please. back for the essendon game. btw the macumba seems to be we working. we win the next three.
Pros:
  • Works hard, can't question his effort and commitment
  • Agile around packs without being a real speedster
  • Disciplined enough to perform a role (such as keeping Kade Simpson quiet) and applies good defensive pressure up forward
  • Gets himself in position to score regularly and seems to draw a fair few free kicks
  • Has good numbers in goal assists
  • Is fit and healthy (which immediately puts him ahead of about a 10-12 on our list)
Cons:
  • Can fumble at crucial moments --> momentum killers
  • Has been very inaccurate in recent games (1.8) which wastes those precious goalscoring opportunities, sometimes at pivotal moments in a match
  • No particular skills or traits that could be described as outstanding
  • Another small body in an undersized squad (of those who are fit) - he's 176cm and 71kg
  • Not a big disposals accumulator at this stage
In summary, being small and lacking any elite skills, he has to survive on hard work, courage, concentration, quick thinking and doing the team things. So far - to his credit - he's managed to do that to the satisfaction of MC (if not the fans on BF) but for the foreseeable future he's always going to be in discussions when people are talking about team changes.

Maybe with these recent games under his belt his confidence might rise and he'll start to increase his possessions. That would help turn around the discussion of his prospects at the WB.

I'm not a huge Honey fan, but he clearly had a determination and work-rate about him, which is obviously why he was picked, and there might have been an element of that attitude rubbing off on the rest of the team - something that you shouldn't forget to take into consideration.

The issue is his value is massively diminished if he's converting less than half his shots - he's kicked 9 behinds before his first goals, plus multiple other shots that fell short/were out of bounds on the full. Hopefully that last goal being his first for the year in the seniors can ease some nerves, and he nails more than he misses from here on it. There's not particular reason tho think that won't be the case now on, having an exact 50% strike rate entering in the season.

I'm not a huge Honey fan, but he clearly had a determination and work-rate about him, which is obviously why he was picked, and there might have been an element of that attitude rubbing off on the rest of the team - something that you shouldn't forget to take into consideration.

The issue is his value is massively diminished if he's converting less than half his shots - he's kicked 9 behinds before his first goals, plus multiple other shots that fell short/were out of bounds on the full. Hopefully that last goal being his first for the year in the seniors can ease some nerves, and he nails more than he misses from here on it. There's not particular reason tho think that won't be the case now on, having an exact 50% strike rate entering in the season.

I watched him do exactly the same thing at VFL level last year.
It's hard to imagine any improvement with his kicking anytime soon.
But good on the kid , he has played 4 now with 2 of them pretty good.

Thought Honeychurch was pretty good. Played his role and added some real energy to the team. Think some people are expecting him to be bad so anything he does is viewed through that lens and anything objectively bad he does is magnified.
It's a shame because he actually reminds me of a young Picken. Sacrifices for his teammates to a fault and his whole is better than the sum of his very rough parts. Like Liam I'm not ready to write him off.

Thought Honeychurch was pretty good. Played his role and added some real energy to the team. Think some people are expecting him to be bad so anything he does is viewed through that lens and anything objectively bad he does is magnified.
It's a shame because he actually reminds me of a young Picken. Sacrifices for his teammates to a fault and his whole is better than the sum of his very rough parts. Like Liam I'm not ready to write him off.
Pickens always been strong in the air and had good goal sense (obviously not always as good as it is now) don't think we'll ever be able to say the same about Honey

Pickens always been strong in the air and had good goal sense (obviously not always as good as it is now) don't think we'll ever be able to say the same about Honey
Think Honey is quite strong in the air for his size and I said a "young" Liam Picken for a reason. Picken wasn't even on our list at Mitch's age.

Even if Honey is surplus to our requirements and he seeks more opportunity elsewhere I think his trade value is going up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back