Autopsy Dogs 82 beat Carlton 62. The Lewis Young Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have mentioned we have missed Dunkley big time a few weeks ago. He was the perfect Crammers replacement and this year we have struggled to cover both of them out.
With our draw all of the defenders out of 50, get them on the break and kick it to a forward running into space method we've used for a long time in 2016-17, those guys are well suited for that style of play, but unfortunately we can't play that game every week as we rely heavily on opposition turnovers to score from.

If Dunkley and Crammers were around then we'd be a little more competent in the air up forward, not by much, but a little bit.

I'd much prefer Boyd playing deep if he returns in a few weeks and give us a bail out option, far too many times we get outmarked by organised defences, if Carlton's midfield and forwardline weren't poor yesterday they would've beaten us based off their defensive aerial strength keeping them in the game.

"Cooked" and "finished" players rarely move and compete better as the year goes on and they get more consistency. Injured players however...

Nah. If players are older and have a bad game, they're automatically 'cooked' and 'their era is over'.

Dems da rules.

There was a game a few years ago in Cairns where I remember the commentators saying something like the young Dogs are making this their team as they took over from the old guard, those players on that day being mainly Stringer, Macrae, Bont, Hunter, Hrovat, Wallis & Libba.

Yesterday felt like that to me, McLean, Daniel, Dale, Cordy, Williams and of course Young Lewis Young (the Bont continues on majestically and still belongs in the young group). They made the difference yesterday and showed they're taking the next step in taking over this team.
I like this a lot and I think about that turning point of the core of the team. The second wave coming through now (I'm thinking Cordy, Daniel, McLean, Dale and certainly Dunkley when he's back) are all suddenly up and running and winning their positions. Cheers Dalrymple - masterful 2014 draft!

Toby McLean reminds me a lot of a young Dal Santo. Surprised how good this kid is going since his move into the middle.

Toby McLean reminds me a lot of a young Dal Santo. Surprised how good this kid is going since his move into the middle.
I did not think Maclean would be this good in the middle. I'm a bit shocked to be honest, he's incredible!

I did not think Maclean would be this good in the middle. I'm a bit shocked to be honest, he's incredible!

Me too. Had him pegged as a quality HFF not being confident he had the ummm... courage, to be a mid. I stand totally corrected. Well played Toby.

2014 Draft

GWS - Picks 4 (Pickett), 6 (Marchbank), 7 (Ahern), 23 (McKenna), 24 (Steele), 85 (Finlayson)
Games played for club - 25, Players still at club - 1

Dogs - Picks 26 (McLean), 27 (Webb), 39 (Hamilton), 45 (Dale), 46 (Daniel), 62 (Cordy)
Games played for club - 145, Players still at club - 6

All hail Dalrymple

Me too. Had him pegged as a quality HFF not being confident he had the ummm... courage, to be a mid. I stand totally corrected. Well played Toby.
I should add that I thought he would be a good player too - probably a small forward. However his nous at getting through congestion in the centre is high class. Work rate A+. Give yourself a pat on the back Toby

2014 Draft

GWS - Picks 4 (Pickett), 6 (Marchbank), 7 (Ahern), 23 (McKenna), 24 (Steele), 85 (Finlayson)

Dogs - Picks 26 (McLean), 27 (Webb), 39 (Hamilton), 45 (Dale), 46 (Daniel), 62 (Cordy)

All hail Dalrymple
Wow... post of the year

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple
Don't forget number of above who are premiership players:

GWS: 0

Dogs: 3

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple

Add in Boyd that year too.

Serious question. Which one of their 6 is still at the club?

Nah. If players are older and have a bad game, they're automatically 'cooked' and 'their era is over'.

Dems da rules.
I'm not saying that he looked amazing in previous weeks or that he's out of the woods especially at his age but can we stop predicting player's downfalls before they've had a chance to settle. Murph has also had a really interrupted period. As supporters (support being the important part) we shouldn't be predicting his demise so quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple
Five of those GWS picks before our first.

And that's before we even start looking at the 2015 and 2016 drafts, neither of which were too shabby by Dal.

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple
Three AFL Premiership Players. Three VFL Premiership Players.

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple
This sort of thing is why I've questioned the large number of players (particularly those who don't live in Sydney) in the past few years who have nominated for the draft as a GWS zone academy player, rather than just go in and see where they end up. Those 6 from the 2014 draft aren't all plodders, more likely they've been moved on due to a lack of opportunity given the depth of the Giant's list. What benefit do the academy guys have in trying to get to GWS? The only loyalty they'd have is that they trained with them for a couple of years, otherwise I would have the Giants as one of the least desirable clubs to go to as a player given factors such as location, supporter base, marketing opportunities etc.

I'm not saying that he looked amazing in previous weeks or that he's out of the woods especially at his age but can we stop predicting player's downfalls before they've had a chance to settle. Murph has also had a really interrupted period. As supporters (support being the important part) we shouldn't be predicting his demise so quickly.
We can support them whole heartedly, but still make observations on the forum about their form or future. That's what we are trying to find out.
As long as it's not 's**t canning' our own team. Most players that make the AFL are competitive beasts and never know within themselves when it's time to give it away, they always believe in themselves. I think Bev has to think of future years for the rest of this year. We will know for sure after the next two weeks. If we don't win them both, play the kids and start thinking about 2018 already.

2014 Draft

All hail Dalrymple

Wow that is damming ,
Sos the boss then ?

We can support them whole heartedly, but still make observations on the forum about their form or future. That's what we are trying to find out.
As long as it's not 's**t canning' our own team. Most players that make the AFL are competitive beasts and never know within themselves when it's time to give it away, they always believe in themselves. I think Bev has to think of future years for the rest of this year. We will know for sure after the next two weeks. If we don't win them both, play the kids and start thinking about 2018 already.
Was not against making observations. Was always against clear cut statements of "fact". Give the champs the benefit of the doubt. Also respect our premiership 2 time coach of the year to help make that decision if it comes to it.

Was not against making observations. Was always against clear cut statements of "fact". Give the champs the benefit of the doubt. Also respect our premiership 2 time coach of the year to help make that decision if it comes to it.
Totally agree, "In Bev I trust" more than anyone in football.... also Chris Grant in the background there fills me with much confidence too.

CARLTON v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Jack Macrae (WB)
5 Toby McLean (WB)
4 Bailey Dale (WB)
3 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Matthew Kreuzer (Carl)

That's the 5th time Bont has polled 9 votes in the coaches votes this year. He's yet to poll 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back