Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Deflated, best team for most of the game cannot kick set shots to put the game away should have been 50 point lead at half time. Then we let that talented pric? take it away from us. He was always going to be a danger especially without Richards. Naughton should have when back not Lobb after Bruce got injured.

Not hard to believe when Lobb was floated and played on the wing not a far stretch to play him anywhere including full back

If it doesn’t make sense it’s likely to happen

Confusion reigns
Why didn't he get put on Sam Taylor as as defensive forward? Why was Naughton left high forward when we were two tall defenders down?
Why is VDM selected at all? Worst player on our list and I'm not exaggerating.
Why was Khamis slaughtered in selection?
Why is Busslinger not playing?
Baffling coaching.

Yeah, straight after the game I was thinking that I was more proud of the battling lower order teams we had in the 60s and 70s when we didn't have much talent but every side that played us knew they'd get a decent physical scrap and have to deal with "all the guts and determination you've got in your body".

Deep down of course I realise we are way better off now ... but what's happened to that fierce spirit? The willingness to put it on the line for the jumper?

Apart from a small handful of players like Libba it feels like it just comes and goes with the breeze. Feels more like a collection of journeymen rather than a team of Bulldogs. Maybe that's the nature of 21st century footy, but as a fan and a paid up member I at least want to proud of our team, even when we aren't winning.
It is disappointing. There just doesn't seem to be the intent to defend like it matters and make it really difficult for the opposition to escape, especially in our fwd 50. I lamented above that there are no Clay Smiths or Liam Pickens in this team because that is what they brought. Intent, pressure and physicality if they got hold of you .... and they did it for 120 mins, week in, week out.

Bont, Libba, Macrae and Daniel were all playing when those 2 were around. Picken and Smith clearly valued the work that those 4 (amongst others) did to get it in there and did their utmost to keep it there. The current lot don't seem to value it the same and yet it's the one thing those fwd can change ... intent and effort.

The problem is two-fold.

1. Our game plan is not sustainable and out-dated.

2. Our list turnover has been terrible. There is no reason Hannan, McComb, Khamis, Vandermeer, Roarke, O'Brien, Crozier, Scott, McNeil are all still on the list.

Two or three I can cop but 9 players who provide nothing but vfl level depth.

This is then paired with new recruits like Baker and Poulter who may actually be worse than those listed and players who are past their best like Jones, Bruce, Keath, and Duryea.

Our list is in bad shape. It has resulted in having to players like Gardner and the aforementioned in key positions.

This is all on the coaches.
They have failed to develop players, they have trusted footsoldiers rather than talented juniors. There is no reason West, Garcia, Sweet, Cleary, and a whole host of players we've lost to more opportunity shouldn't have played more senior football. It took a late withdrawal for Cleary to play and an in game injury for West.

We needed new voices years ago. Now I think we need to burn it all down and start again.

What an absolutely horrific loss.
Has there ever been a more perfect summation of a player’s career and ability than the incident when Gardner was smothered on the goal line ending up in a goal 1 second later… How Gardner conjured an opposition goal from that position was masterful.
Was it 4 or 5 shots at goal in the 2ndQ directly in front, kicking with the wind that were missed. What is it with these guys?! comical
Poulter should never have handballed to Gardiner. That goal was 100% on Poulter, who panicked and gave it to Gardiner, who was flat-footed and had a player right with him.

Last edited:
Poulter should never have handballed to Gardiner. That goal was 100% on Poulter, who panicked and have it to Gardiner, who was flat-footed and had a player right with him.
I don’t see what option Poulter had though. Had he got tackled its ball. I think he’s within his rights not to expect Gardner to be flat footed then turn into the traffic rather than hitting the boundary line

I don’t see what option Poulter had though. Had he got tackled its ball. I think he’s within his rights not to expect Gardner to be flat footed then turn into the traffic rather than hitting the boundary line
Poulter should have kept going in the same direction and found a way to rush a behind if he couldn't get out the other side of the goalmouth. Gardiner was not expecting the handball...and nor should he. It was dumb footy from Poulter.

The problem is two-fold.

1. Our game plan is not sustainable and out-dated.

2. Our list turnover has been terrible. There is no reason Hannan, McComb, Khamis, Vandermeer, Roarke, O'Brien, Crozier, Scott, McNeil are all still on the list.

Two or three I can cop but 9 players who provide nothing but vfl level depth.

This is then paired with new recruits like Baker and Poulter who may actually be worse than those listed and players who are past their best like Jones, Bruce, Keath, and Duryea.

Our list is in bad shape. It has resulted in having to players like Gardner and the aforementioned in key positions.

This is all on the coaches.
They have failed to develop players, they have trusted footsoldiers rather than talented juniors. There is no reason West, Garcia, Sweet, Cleary, and a whole host of players we've lost to more opportunity shouldn't have played more senior football. It took a late withdrawal for Cleary to play and an in game injury for West.

We needed new voices years ago. Now I think we need to burn it all down and start again.
Scott is a perfectly fine role player, I’m happy with him on the list. Roarke was one of our better players in the 2021 GF and has always stepped up in finals (don’t think he’s played a bad one tbh). The issue is you probably wouldn’t want more than 2 or 3 of these guys total as you said - journeymen with a known output who can perform a role when needed who have a moderate floor and low ceiling.

If we change coaches, I can definitely see McNeil and Vandermeer keeping their spots given their strengths would theoretically be valuable in a more modern game plan, but they’d be lucky based on recent output.

Why does it take a young bloke like Cleary to show the way and kill attacks by rushing a behind?

I have been screaming out for months now for our defenders to rush it when in doubt. Too many panic merchants down back.

Number one priority for me is seeing defenders that make good decisions. Cleary looks good in that regard doesn’t he?

Why does it take a young bloke like Cleary to show the way and kill attacks by rushing a behind?

I have been screaming out for months now for our defenders to rush it when in doubt. Too many panic merchants down back.

Number one priority for me is seeing defenders that make good decisions. Cleary looks good in that regard doesn’t he?
Expect him to be dropped for Richards next week. Meanwhile Vandermeer retains his spot.

yes hence why i don’t really believe it
Some of the Bulldogs fan Facebook groups are unmoderated, so have been overrun with trolls from opposition clubs. I wouldn’t believe a word written in any of them tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storm whitten oval and protest, bevo has to go. Keeping Naughton forward when we are 2 backs down and getting beaten, wtf. This has happened too often this year and I like the rest of you have had enough. Bevo needs a new batch of napoli sauce. Piss off Bevo.
Yeah, cos that would've solved the Toby Greene problem.
I despise our game plan and Bevo’s stubbornness to tweak it. We are up by 35 points kicking into the breeze. Most coaches would have their defence hold back fill up space, protect the lead, chip it around and essentially hold that lead. We push so far up that on the turnover we get burnt as we aren’t quick. Who is CD, Macrae catching on the turnover? With a slowish midfield pushing the defenders so high is costing us games. Also why was Duryea so quick to leave Green when they got the fast break. Stick on Green and force the lesser likes to kick the goal. Shattering defeat, no momentum coming into finals now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No coach is going to allow their opponent to flood the middle of the ground in the hope of catching them coming back the other way. As for Greene we're talking about the games best medium sized forward here. One who proved way too quick and smart for our best shut down defender. The alternative was to switch one of our attacking defenders in JJ or Dale onto him. Neither of whom are noted man on man defenders. It would've been cruel to send Cleary to him when Green was on his hot streak turning the game on its head.

At the time I could see why he’d make that choice but in the clear light of day we probably just needed to take 10 mins off the clock. Undoubtedly Naughton back v Lobb would have helped us achieve that.
Given the damage was streaming out of our forward line and coming through the midfield to Toby Greene.

I have my doubts.
Why didn't he get put on Sam Taylor as as defensive forward? Why was Naughton left high forward when we were two tall defenders down?
He was smothering our best aerialist with clever use of the body and better reading of the flight of the ball in difficult conditions.

He would've done much the same against a were threat in Lobb.
Why is VDM selected at all? Worst player on our list and I'm not exaggerating.
I thought that this boards consensus had it that Robbie McComb was that person?
Why was Khamis slaughtered in selection?
Because he's one dimensional and not going to make it?
Why is Busslinger not playing?
Because he hasn't yet shown he is physically capable of displacing the middling trio of Gardner, Keath and Bruce.

However, this may change as soon as this week as week look forward to the prospect of Gardner underpinning our defence supported by JO'D and possibly Busslinger. I sense a pr inspired debut is going to happen this week.
Baffling coaching.
They mostly are from the stand or on the couch.

VDM is a liability anywhere but defence. I thought he has been serviceable. Duryea has been a good servant but his time is up. VDM needs to be A lockdown small defender who can run off. JJ, Richards, VDM and Dale need to play in the back half to generate the overlap and run off half back.

Bevos inability to make adjustments in the box has cost us 4 wins. Some of these moves an under 10 coach would do. A defensive forward on Stewart and we defeat the cats, tag on Rowell and we beat Suns, a defensive forward on Taylor and Naught goes back. against swans he could not make amy adjustments.

if we had a half decent game day coach we would be cemented in the top 4 and that’s with a crap game plan. Jus imagine a decent game plan and good matchday coaching

Given the damage was streaming out of our forward line and coming through the midfield to Toby Greene.

The haemorrhaging of goals happened as they kept persisting with the forward press right up to within the last minute of the 3rd quarter. That’s a tactical failure, the flow needed to be stopped, the ball was coming back as fast as it was going down with Gardner, Duryea and Poulter left in defence.

On numerous occasions both Gardner and Duryea were caught out in front of their man in the third when GWS had the breeze playing rebounding footy

Bont could feasibly play any position of the ground so he could have moved far away from the middle . It was so disappointing to see how easily his influence was negated . He was absolutely on fire 1st quarter then disappeared. Bev needs to find a way to protect him.
When the tag was applied, my first thought was send Bont to FF, West into the middle and JUH higher up the ground with Naughts at CHF.
Force Ward to deal with Bont one out in the goal square. Would have at least shaken things up a bit! We were kicking with the wind, after all...

I remember in the 90s Terry Wallace being very creative with opposition taggers. If, for example, Scott West was being tagged, TW would sometimes send another player to work over the tagger. Very effective to do it now and again.

I guess I'm saying 'just do something'. Don't just cop it without a whimper!

Last edited:
Poulter should have kept going in the same direction and found a way to rush a behind if he couldn't get out the other side of the goalmouth. Gardiner was not expecting the handball...and nor should he. It was dumb footy from Poulter.
Guys Guys...both players were dumb.

No coach is going to allow their opponent to flood the middle of the ground in the hope of catching them coming back the other way. As for Greene we're talking about the games best medium sized forward here. One who proved way too quick and smart for our best shut down defender. The alternative was to switch one of our attacking defenders in JJ or Dale onto him. Neither of whom are noted man on man defenders. It would've been cruel to send Cleary to him when Green was on his hot streak turning the game on its head.

I have my doubts.

He was smothering our best aerialist with clever use of the body and better reading of the flight of the ball in difficult conditions.

Because he hasn't yet shown he is physically capable of displacing the middling trio of Gardner, Keath and Bruce.

However, this may change as soon as this week as week look forward to the prospect of Gardner underpinning our defence supported by JO'D and possibly Busslinger. I sense a pr inspired debut is going to happen this week.

You’re right, Bevo could have done absolutely nothing and he’s a great coach. We were lucky to be even a chance against the mighty Giants. If anything bevo has made us overachieve and 8th is great!

Have only seen chunks of today's match but struggle to imagine how anything I see could justify the level vitriol being directed at Bevo tonight.

Did he run out and intentionally injure Keath and Bruce?

Was he responsible for Jamarra badly wasting a golden opportunity to win the match?

Don't see anyone calling for JUH's head for being unable to execute a very simple kick at goal when completely in the clear?
I think you’re right in a lot of ways, the players underperformed and we had a few unfortunate injuries. I think many fans just see games like this happen so consistently and ultimately feel the list is not performing as well as it should.

It’s where a lot of the push comes for a revamp. What we’re doing right now isn’t working so May as well change it up.

I have my doubts.

You're right. Bevo is coaching perfectly. He's just a victim of circumstance.

There's a clear link between our capitulation in 2021, the elimination final against Fremantle and what happened yesterday.
Beveridge has been very coy about how the GF defeat was reviewed, if at all.
Would a proper, forensic examination have prevented us from becoming downhill skiers?

Last edited:

I have my doubts.

Bro...are you legitimately saying there was nothing you could do from the coaches box to stop a 35 point lead in the third quarter dissipating to a middling Giants side without their best mid and best key forward?

Watching on TV with a neutral mate who I reckon is a decent footy judge.
Half time: checked the live odds: Doggies $1.01, GWS: $14.00. Knowing my beloved dogs I said I will put $10 at $14.
Mate said: there is no way in hell the giants can win this. Didn't do the bet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back