Phantom Draft don patch sword's 2016 Phantom Draft V2(With Player Profiles)

Who is stiff not to make the list?

• Jake Pitman

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Declan Watson

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Ben Long

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Jamie Hampton

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Callum Brown

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Jarrod Korehwa

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Mitch McCarthy

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Kim LeBois

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Quinton Narkle

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting you have waterman that high. Seen a few people mention him being a third rounder.
That's just personal preference, I rate Waterman higher than others.
So hope you are correct with Brodie coming to the Tigers. Notice how you slipped in kk with our 3rd pick ...After his5 goal game against Sandy could b a very astute decision. Really hopehe ends up a Tiger
Great job enjoyed reading it
I don't feel Brodie is a high priority to anyone but Essendon so if he doesn't get picked at 1 I think he will slide to you guys and would be a perfect addition. Kirby could be available later but with so many players hard to spilt I think his performance in that game could give him the edge but you could easily get him later.
Interesting you have McGrath that high not sure if I would have confidence in picking a small midfielder/defender that high SPS I think would be perfect if McCluggage is gone
I'd have full confidence taking him over SPS certainly wouldn't complain either way but feel McGrath is a the safer bet and his leadership skills and play style I believe will make him a more consistently good player at AFL level

I don't see us taking English at all, he is to much of a risk and we need midfielders
You get Bowes and Scheer who are gun mids I wouldn't be surprised if you took the risk knowing you get 2 very promising midfielders. Also if you get Pick 6 from tigers I'll have you taking Brodie with that pick

Last edited:
Seems odd passing up Battle at 19, but with Laverde at a similar height you get the feeling we're looking for something taller in a forward.
Fully expect us to trade into the 1st round higher (our second + Hibberd pick + our 3rd for Pick 9) and go for Marshall

Don't see any of the bottom 3 teams bidding on Bowes. GCS should take pick 4 to the draft confident they will a free crack at a player. probably Brodie. Maybe McCluggage
I agree about the potential to trade up and maybe being able to pick up Marshall. Cant ever see them giving up 3 picks to get to pick 9. Those 3 picks (19, approx27 if Hibberd traded to dees, and pick 37) comes to over 2000 points which equates to around pick 4. If they traded just 19 and the 27 they come to around pick 8 which would be a better option. The other thin now is that clubs cant stockpile picks they they never expect to use just to have points in the bank. Teams now have to have the same available spots on their list as they do draft picks so trading multiple picks to move up the draft is now more difficult.

Sorry but I couldn't help but point that out that Geelong don't have a 1st round pick, belongs to GWS

Good read however. I imagine Collingwood will go tall in this draft and draft a key position player rather than another inside mid in Drew. I like Griffin Logue a lot. Tim English to GCS is one I haven't seen but definitely agree with, Suns need a young ruckman and like you said, his attributes match that of a key defender's very well.

Sorry but I couldn't help but point that out that Geelong don't have a 1st round pick, belongs to GWS

Good read however. I imagine Collingwood will go tall in this draft and draft a key position player rather than another inside mid in Drew. I like Griffin Logue a lot. Tim English to GCS is one I haven't seen but definitely agree with, Suns need a young ruckman and like you said, his attributes match that of a key defender's very well.
Thanks for the observation I'll be sure to change it. I considered Logue at yours but thought Drew would be good value there. GC like recruiting athletic players which I think they will stick to this year.

I like it :thumbsu:

For the most part I like the order you have the players in. Good to see you back yourself in and go against the norm with a few picks.

Four players I really like with your first four picks in the second round.

Good job all round. As far as your poll goes, I voted Jamie Hampton. Has an AFL game but needs a good club around him to get the best from him consistently.

I'd be spewing if Brodie slid that far and we missed him. Imagine Cripps and Brodie in the square together for the next ten years.

I like it :thumbsu:

For the most part I like the order you have the players in. Good to see you back yourself in and go against the norm with a few picks.

Four players I really like with your first four picks in the second round.

Good job all round. As far as your poll goes, I voted Jamie Hampton. Has an AFL game but needs a good club around him to get the best from him consistently.

I'd be spewing if Brodie slid that far and we missed him. Imagine Cripps and Brodie in the square together for the next ten years.
Cheers mate! I have so many not even in the poll that I like I think the tail end of the draft is pretty good. Yeah would make you hope to finish below Richmond (bittersweet) I think he would be the perfect player for you guys.

Going to the double header on Saturday which pits Northern Knights against Western Jets and Gippsland Power vs Bendigo Pioneers. Can expect my list to change after those games I might even extend the list to top 60

Going to the double header on Saturday which pits Northern Knights against Western Jets and Gippsland Power vs Bendigo Pioneers. Can expect my list to change after those games I might even extend the list to top 60
So you're watching 2 games featuring the bottom 4 tac cup teams and you're expecting that will change your list/extend it? It doesn't sound like you've seen much football this year if you're basing your phantom draft off 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that the Pioneers will be made up of 16/17 yr olds with a few boys like Atley in the mix. Think they had 18 bottom agers last week

So you're watching 2 games featuring the bottom 4 tac cup teams and you're expecting that will change your list/extend it? It doesn't sound like you've seen much football this year if you're basing your phantom draft off 2 games.
It changes with every new game I see certain players perform better and some don't, I had McGrath only around 10 from what I'd seen but after the last game he knocked a lot of doubts I had on him so went up the order. It will change after watching more games and getting more information on certain players like anyone who watches footy would do I'll also re- watch the champs games just to make sure I didn't miss anything. So let's say Ainsworth has a real stinker then obviously most people would expect he falls down a little and if he comes out and kicks 10 goals then he could go up I can't really see the issue you have with that and how a players results in a game doesn't effect their rating?

I think that the Pioneers will be made up of 16/17 yr olds with a few boys like Atley in the mix. Think they had 18 bottom agers last week
Yep lochie O'Brien was their best player last week he looks a very good prospect for next year reminds me of Zac Merrett. Wether it's mostly under-age guys or not it doesn't really matter since I'll have a better understanding on who will be ones to watch next year!

It changes with every new game I see certain players perform better and some don't, I had McGrath only around 10 from what I'd seen but after the last game he knocked a lot of doubts I had on him so went up the order. It will change after watching more games and getting more information on certain players like anyone who watches footy would do I'll also re- watch the champs games just to make sure I didn't miss anything. So let's say Ainsworth has a real stinker then obviously most people would expect he falls down a little and if he comes out and kicks 10 goals then he could go up I can't really see the issue you have with that and how a players results in a game doesn't effect their rating?
No problems mate, just the way you said that you were going to extend your list and that the ratings would change. They are bottom teams you're talking about, there wouldn't be too many featured in these teams in the top 60 of the draft. Realistically there might be 10 or so with a 'chance' to go top 50 from these teams.

The jets are similar, I think they gave up on this year a month or so ago. They culled all the top age boys who weren't an outside chance at the draft and are just playing kids.
Fogarty and Rayner are looking the goods for next year. Just a matter of how much they can improve for next year. Both medium/small players with decent frames on them already.

No problems mate, just the way you said that you were going to extend your list and that the ratings would change. They are bottom teams you're talking about, there wouldn't be too many featured in these teams in the top 60 of the draft. Realistically there might be 10 or so with a 'chance' to go top 50 from these teams.
Honestly would have been small changes not massive changes and regardless of results was probly going to extend my list anyway, there are so many players in my 35-70 range that I can hardly split so hoping a few players in that bracket can make it easier for me to split them.

Honestly would have been small changes not massive changes and regardless of results was probly going to extend my list anyway, there are so many players in my 35-70 range that I can hardly split so hoping a few players in that bracket can make it easier for me to split them.
I know what you mean, for those later picks you've got to try and think like a recruiter. A lot of them will pick a player with a couple of AFL attributes who havent quite put it all together yet. Picking someone whos dominating at Tac level doesn't necessarily correlate to afl level. Using a pick 60 on someone with potential to improve and be up to it in 2/3 years time rather than someone who will stagnate is smarter. Certain 'big for tac cup' players cant just push people out of the way anymore due to the bigger bodies.

The later end of this draft will be very hard to pick I think. A lot of clubs will have very different draft boards this year.

I know what you mean, for those later picks you've got to try and think like a recruiter. A lot of them will pick a player with a couple of AFL attributes who havent quite put it all together yet. Picking someone whos dominating at Tac level doesn't necessarily correlate to afl level. Using a pick 60 on someone with potential to improve and be up to it in 2/3 years time rather than someone who will stagnate is smarter. Certain 'big for tac cup' players cant just push people out of the way anymore due to the bigger bodies.
That's what some recruiters will look for just little things that translate to AFL footy. Essendon picked Gleeson when he was only averaging about 9 touches a game but showed just a few glimpses and we took a punt on him late and now he has played 50 games already. You hear Kevin Sheahan talk he will always mention the fact they are looking for the little things the most.

Yep lochie O'Brien was their best player last week he looks a very good prospect for next year reminds me of Zac Merrett. Wether it's mostly under-age guys or not it doesn't really matter since I'll have a better understanding on who will be ones to watch next year!

There are a few in there...O'Brien, Dow, Brander, Schumacher Henderson

Can't see GWS passing on sproule if we miss Marshall.

We will most likely be losing Stewart, McCarthy, Tomlinson, marchbank, downie and Simpson

Will need to add more tall depth to the list and sproule is worth a spot. Also we won't have those late first round selections remain live with the bids for perryman and setterfield

Back